FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

More lock-related entries and less politics

<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:58 am

More lock-related entries and less politics

I don't come here for politics, but it seems that makes up a considerable portion of the topics. If anything, it'll drive away people who don't share the same views as yourself, which shouldn't be something you want if you're looking to build a thriving community of lock enthusiasts. I love this site but if I wanted to read about people's opinions on politics then there is a myriad of other sites dedicated to it.

Sure, you can say things like "Well they don't need to read those topics", but people will - they show up right in the top of the page. New users will see this and think "Oh, I thought this was a lockpicking site, not a current events site."

Of course, it's your site and you reserve the right to ignore me or to tell me to beat it. I'm not trying to sound rude, as I do like this site and its members, I'm just afraid of it wandering from its purpose.

Cheers,
Evan
Howdy!
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:00 am

Re: More lock-related entries and less politics

I agree.... to a point
I dont read the politics stuff much... i dont care if new users do...

my 2 cents
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 am

Now slap me if im wrong :hammer:
But you may have more of a say if you contributed towards the forum , im not saying you dont have a say...ive read your posts and there interesting and new idea's

I really dont have a problem with currunt affairs and politics , in fact the way hallis strings sentences makes me piss my pants at times really funny guy , take that away and your taking some fun out the forum (on my part) Its not really politics ! its just a few members get a valid point accross at the same time taking the piss out the guys in suits and strips who who the country ..

This is just my 50p :bs:
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:43 pm

uklockpicker wrote:
This is just my 50p :bs:

50p is it? Wow...it's gone up quite a bit. hehe (Maybe I've been undercharging for mine!)
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:51 pm

If the posts don't interest you don't read them. You can read whatever you choose. Read the sections you enjoy that's why the forums are set up. Surely as someone who appears to bee intelligent you aren't suggesting censorship? All in good fun anyway.
<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Grandpa wrote:If the posts don't interest you don't read them. You can read whatever you choose. Read the sections you enjoy that's why the forums are set up. Surely as someone who appears to bee intelligent you aren't suggesting censorship? All in good fun anyway.
I would NEVER suggest censorship, and if you think that's what I'm doing, then you clearly don't understand the purpose for my post.

uklockpicker wrote:But you may have more of a say if you contributed towards the forum , im not saying you dont have a say...ive read your posts and there interesting and new idea's
I contribute to the forum as much as I can. I'm on this site pretty much every day; however, I'm quite new to this particular community so I can't be expected to have the same post count as more seasoned users. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. ;)
Howdy!
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm

I am only saying that it's all in fun. Most of the new members sign on here after they have looked the site over. Nobody signs up before looking through sections and reading some. I myself have not been a member that long. This forum is the best I have found for information, friendly answers and good fun. Any topic I see that is new to me I open and check it out. My intent was not to anger you but suggesting not to post or write certain topics is in fact a form of censorship
<<

uklockpicker

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:39 pm

This is more than just a lockping forum - were not like the rest - like the new logo suggest...
Whats going to happen when more gamers section post's come up and with photography,cold steel,jokes, ect ect

Im not interested in some other topics , thats why i choose not to read them - doesnt mean i want them gone as other members are interested.
You are contributing plenty to the forum fresh new idea's but i think it should be the one's who contribute £$£$£$ should be the one's who have the final say ( if you know what im saying) :wink:
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:44 pm

ChemicalRobot wrote:I don't come here for politics, but it seems that makes up a considerable portion of the topics. If anything, it'll drive away people who don't share the same views as yourself, which shouldn't be something you want if you're looking to build a thriving community of lock enthusiasts. I love this site but if I wanted to read about people's opinions on politics then there is a myriad of other sites dedicated to it.

Sure, you can say things like "Well they don't need to read those topics", but people will - they show up right in the top of the page. New users will see this and think "Oh, I thought this was a lockpicking site, not a current events site."

Of course, it's your site and you reserve the right to ignore me or to tell me to beat it. I'm not trying to sound rude, as I do like this site and its members, I'm just afraid of it wandering from its purpose.

Cheers,
Evan

Well, Evan I could stop posting political comments - but I wont.

As far as driving people away - well, I can handle rejection. I learned a long time ago that if I tried to please everybody - I'd end up pleasing no one. That's why I try very hard to to limit my non-pc comments to the random banter or current events section. That way folks can just tune me out - consider me an idiot and click their mouse onto a topic that they are interested in.

I've never claimed that KeyPicking would be a site dedicated solely to locksport. If that's what you prefer, there are other sites that probably meet that specific criteria.

BTW - Did I tell you I have a lot of respect for bus drivers?

I really do.

Because no matter how well he drives the bus - missing baby carriages by inches, dodging pregnant nuns on horseback or black cats running across the road, some guy in the back will always criticize his driving skills.

No hard feelings though. Enjoy the ride.

<<

uklockpicker

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:55 pm

:lol: :lol:
Chem your a cool guy and a talented picker - just dont read the politics post -... Come on group hug :nopity:
<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:49 pm

uklockpicker wrote:You are contributing plenty to the forum fresh new idea's but i think it should be the one's who contribute £$£$£$ should be the one's who have the final say ( if you know what im saying) :wink:
OH, monetary contributions. :D I get it now. I've actually been meaning to make a donation for quite some time, as I've been using the site more and more. Just a bit strapped for cash at the moment since I just purchased groceries and my first Schlage Everest (pics to come soon of the cool bitting).

Grandpa wrote:but suggesting not to post or write certain topics is in fact a form of censorship
You should note that I never suggested banning topics. :-| That would be dumb. Just that the frequency in which they are brought up at may alienate new-comers. I admit I felt alienated at first since I disagree with about half of the current events posts, but I worked through it as I came to know the people here better and to appreciate the wealth of lock-picking knowledge they have to offer.

HallisChalmers wrote:I've never claimed that KeyPicking would be a site dedicated solely to locksport.
I guess this is where I initially came to the wrong conclusions. I had figured that was the primary goal of this online community, but in the end it's your website and therefore your prerogative.

HallisChalmers wrote:Because no matter how well he drives the bus - missing baby carriages by inches, dodging pregnant nuns on horseback or black cats running across the road, some guy in the back will always criticize his driving skills.

:???: I'm hoping you didn't interpret my post criticizing your driving skills as you seem to be a good and fair administrator.
Howdy!
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 pm

I feel the need to step in here. first i am a contributor both money wise and knowledge wise. I don't agree with all the political stuff either but some of it I stand behind. I think that if this site was to just be strictly locksmith/lock sport it wouldn't be as enjoyable as it is. also it is a forum. u have the right to post your opinion as long as you do it appropriately. CHEMICAL ROBOT i see you being here a long time and i believe that you are wise and have some great ideas. non of what i said is directed at you in general. just making a point is all. and as everyone said you can click on certain parts of the site that will not have anything political in them. to me this forum is more like a great big family and like all family's we have disagreements which is good. anyway enjoy, have fun, keep it legal, and most importantly have fun.
<<

geardog32

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:38 pm

I personally like the politics entries not just because I like the anger it stirs up but, that's just how forums are. i am a member of 8 different forums and while I came to them for the on-topic material I enjoy the off topic material just as much if not more.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:39 pm

ChemicalRobot wrote:
uklockpicker wrote:You are contributing plenty to the forum fresh new idea's but i think it should be the one's who contribute £$£$£$ should be the one's who have the final say ( if you know what im saying) :wink:
OH, monetary contributions. :D I get it now. I've actually been meaning to make a donation for quite some time, as I've been using the site more and more. Just a bit strapped for cash at the moment since I just purchased groceries and my first Schlage Everest (pics to come soon of the cool bitting).

Grandpa wrote:but suggesting not to post or write certain topics is in fact a form of censorship
You should note that I never suggested banning topics. :-| That would be dumb. Just that the frequency in which they are brought up at may alienate new-comers. I admit I felt alienated at first since I disagree with about half of the current events posts, but I worked through it as I came to know the people here better and to appreciate the wealth of lock-picking knowledge they have to offer.

HallisChalmers wrote:I've never claimed that KeyPicking would be a site dedicated solely to locksport.
I guess this is where I initially came to the wrong conclusions. I had figured that was the primary goal of this online community, but in the end it's your website and therefore your prerogative.

HallisChalmers wrote:Because no matter how well he drives the bus - missing baby carriages by inches, dodging pregnant nuns on horseback or black cats running across the road, some guy in the back will always criticize his driving skills.

:???: I'm hoping you didn't interpret my post criticizing your driving skills as you seem to be a good and fair administrator.

We're cool, man. It's no big deal. You have a right to say what you want - it's a free country.

I admit I get carried away - but when you're an old bastard like me, you get opinionated. You will too, my chemicalrobot friend...20 years from now, you'll be doing the same.

I'm locking this thread because otherwise we'll be
:deadhorse:

Return to What Would You Like To See?