FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

An excellent starter pick set from TOOOL US

<<

Neilau

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 pm

An excellent starter pick set from TOOOL US

I have bought very few commercial picks, preferring to make my own.

Most (all?) starter/beginner set usually contain a number of fillers – balls, half balls, ripples etc. That are either useless or of very limited use in anything except cheap/poorly made locks.

So I was pleased to see a new starter set on the TOOOL site that was comprised of ALL very useful shapes – at a very good price.

I ordered the set and have been playing with them for a few days now – very impressed.

They look like HPC picks and TOOOL does sell HPC picks. They are well made and very well finished, especially the Bogota pick which is very well polished. The Bogota pick has a slightly larger gap between the first two peaks, a modification that I have found to be most effective based on all the Bogota variations that I have made.

The picks themselves are small handled and for my old hands a bit thin but some tape and shrink tube has fixed that. Or you could buy handles.

If you are new to this hobby and want to purchase a set that is biased towards SPP and does not contain useless tools, they deserve a look.

As well as the picks there are six tension tools of different thicknesses. Three for BOK and three for TOK. The TOK tools are not quite as good as a Peterson pry bar but do work and will fit most common keyways.

Check them out at

http://toool.us/equipment.html

toool up pick set.jpg

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Re: An excellent starter pick set from TOOOL US

It looks to be a great kit. Deviant Ollam sells the same kit on his website, too. He also has some starter lock sets and impressioning tools.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Thanks GW, I didn't know of Deviant's site.

Deviant is a really nice guy and very helpful.

His book "Practical Lock Picking" is one of the best books around for someone starting out in the hobby. Lots of great diagrams and covers everything you need to get going.

Well worth the price.

Cheap at twice the price. :hbg: :hbg:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:35 am

The picks appear to be a selection of the slimline/euro picks made by Southern Specialties, with their plain laminated handles.

A pretty good value for a starter set. Thanks for the post.
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:44 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:It looks to be a great kit. Deviant Ollam sells the same kit on his website, too. He also has some starter lock sets and impressioning tools.

Gordon

I ordered some stuff from that website a few months back. Took almost 30 days to get my order and they short shipped it and haven't been responding to my e-mails.

MBI wrote:The picks appear to be a selection of the slimline/euro picks made by Southern Specialties, with their plain laminated handles.

A pretty good value for a starter set. Thanks for the post.

That's what I was thinking. I have a few of the Southern Specialties picks.

Return to Product Reviews