FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

xeo wrote:
Anarchy_won wrote:Xeo, have you tried the Sparrow Flat Tension bar's? I just got a set in the mail today and was wondering how they compare to the TE's and Peterson's.

I have, they are horrible in my opinion. Way too flexible. Barely any feedback.

I am learning that now :( only the thickest one is usable IMHO. but I have only been using them for 20min.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:
xeo wrote:
Anarchy_won wrote:Xeo, have you tried the Sparrow Flat Tension bar's? I just got a set in the mail today and was wondering how they compare to the TE's and Peterson's.

I have, they are horrible in my opinion. Way too flexible. Barely any feedback.

I am learning that now :( only the thickest one is usable IMHO. but I have only been using them for 20min.

Try gluing them all together. lol
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm

:-) I was just thinking of trying that to see if it would help.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Ha! Xeo. A graveyard of prybars. Well we know where the stress point is... they all broke exactly the same.
xeo wrote:...So the coating on the TE bars is what is causing the rusting/fading from skin oil?
I'm not really sure. I'd be more inclined to think it's what they're comprised of rather than a coating.
I just figure that getting it all cleaned off and applying the cold blue should preserve it for a while.
I'll try and remember to give an update as to how it's holding up a few months from now.

Flywheel... appreciate the help. I can use it since I've never tried anything like this.
Rather than one bend in the middle, I've decided on two bends - one toward either
end like you've done. Instead of a 90 though, I'm shooting for around 30-35 degrees.

I'm a little leery of messin' it up though, lol...
so any other tips, do's, or don'ts you might
have for me are more than welcome!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:59 am

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Breaking a Peterson pry bar. :shock:
How does one go about doing that?
You use that much force(tension)?
Maybe wore out from so many uses?

At first I disliked my pry bar going vertical, but now seems natural.
Kind of like the visual feed back. Its like the big hand on an old clock......once it moves off 12:00 you get a sense of accomplishment.
Last edited by jharveee on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bobtheman

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 am

what I dont get is that both manufactures seem to miss the most glaring feature that would be easy (to me at least, maybe im wrong) to implement.

Instead of the prybar being straight, bend it so it provides an easier rest for your hand/finger to apply tension. Bosnian bill does this with his prybars, bending them himself. Peterson should try it out.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 pm

bobtheman wrote:what I dont get is that both manufactures seem to miss the most glaring feature that would be easy (to me at least, maybe im wrong) to implement.

Instead of the prybar being straight, bend it so it provides an easier rest for your hand/finger to apply tension. Bosnian bill does this with his prybars, bending them himself. Peterson should try it out.

Bending a prybar would defeat the entire purpose of the tool.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Peterson Prybar Lite Muffinstorm Edition

Works for me. Heat, bend, quench, enjoy

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 pm

So, I've successfully created the 35* bends at either end & sanded it up shiny again.
It's a little early to say, but I've already plowed through a pile of various padlocks
using it.. and I think I like it. Pretty certain it will be in my arsenal from now on.

That being said, my bent ones will be in a pouch right next to a pair of straight ones!
I absolutely love BOTH - each have their pros & cons. Depends on what I'm tackling.

Was going to refrain from posting any pics because I knew it would make Xeo cringe! lol
But now that MrAnybody has broken the ice with his mangled prybar, I might consider it.
Or maybe we should start a new thread. We'll call it.... :).... "The Bebatable Dend"
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:17 pm

MrAnybody wrote:Peterson Prybar Lite Muffinstorm Edition

Works for me. Heat, bend, quench, enjoy

Dang, contacted Ken, and he says they are all sold out of the Muffinstorm edition! :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:11 am

Oldfast wrote:Was going to refrain from posting any pics because I knew it would make Xeo cringe! lol
But now that MrAnybody has broken the ice with his mangled prybar, I might consider it.
Or maybe we should start a new thread. We'll call it.... :).... "The Bebatable Dend"

:shock: "Mangled", he says!! Outrageous, sir!! It's a thing of beauty :D How dare my glorious Muffinstorm edition be slighted and maligned in such a way. I even lovingly sanded it to get the blemish off from the heating.

:D :D

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:33 am

You sick puppies stop talking about mangling the prybars as if they have no feelings! You're allowed to snap them in half not bend them into pretzels!

:prybar:

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:09 pm

To all you sick puppies out there. Stand up, unite. Let all mortals quake and beg for mercy.

The world can be ours! YEAH!

[accompanied by mad power crazy laughter in the background, and thunderbolts rattling the very being that one resides within]

MrAnybody's Locks

Previous

Return to Product Reviews