FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

<<

bmc1284

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 24

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:35 am

Location: Oak Lawn, IL

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:33 am

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Just got my Lite Peterson Prybar in the mail today, along with a Peterson Lifter and off diamond. So far...I LOVE THEM!

Image
<<

xeo

User avatar

Catministrator
Catministrator

Posts: 2126

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:30 am

Location: East Coast, USA

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:01 am

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Dark red plastic handles... interesting.
Image
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

stealthski

Familiar Face

Posts: 21

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 am

Location: reading pa

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:55 am

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

i believe the red handled petersons are the "DCAP" deep cut access picks. blue handles are slim and black are the standards
<<

MrAnybody

User avatar

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Posts: 482

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Location: UK / France

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:54 am

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

stealthski wrote:i believe the red handled petersons are the "DCAP" deep cut access picks. blue handles are slim and black are the standards


+1 on that.

I've really grown fond of my DCAPs. Nice and strong. However, as you can see from the pic above, the shaft is shorter than the regular Petersons. I guess that's the trade-off between slimmer shaft vs strong pick.
__________________________

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

xeo

User avatar

Catministrator
Catministrator

Posts: 2126

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:30 am

Location: East Coast, USA

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Yep the DCAPs are excellent. The DCAP diamond is an extremely useful tool for wild keyways and picking side pins like ASSA Twin. The DCAP hook (not the notched lifter) is also superb for ASSA Twin sidepins. The notched lifter pick absolutely destroys Medecos. It lets you rotate like a dream.
Image
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

80553

Familiar Face

Posts: 23

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Location: Lockholm

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Which online retailers carry either the TE och Petersons prybars and caters to hobbyists/non-locksmiths? I've seen the Petersons at the toool.us shop, but that's about it.
<<

rerun12

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 434

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Location: Connecticut

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

80553 wrote:Which online retailers carry either the TE och Petersons prybars and caters to hobbyists/non-locksmiths? I've seen the Petersons at the toool.us shop, but that's about it.


http://www.technicalentry.com/products/prybar - TE

http://www.lockpickshop.com/PPB.html - PP
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

80553

Familiar Face

Posts: 23

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Location: Lockholm

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

technicalentry.com states "Please note: we only supply our lock entry tools and systems to locksmiths, safe technicians and other security professionals".
<<

MrAnybody

User avatar

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Posts: 482

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Location: UK / France

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

80553 wrote:technicalentry.com states "Please note: we only supply our lock entry tools and systems to locksmiths, safe technicians and other security professionals".


No worries with that. They're fine with the locksport community. It's just there for show ...... unless of course everything has changed.

But saying that, I'd say go with Petersons, only because I know a couple of people that have had troubles with their TE orders and a complete lack of communication to clear it up. I really hope they've now cleaned up their customer service now. Petersons on the other hand are spot on. You can pick up the phone and speak to the CEO any time you like.
__________________________

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 439

Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:51 pm

Location: Porto/Portugal

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

MrAnybody wrote:
80553 wrote:technicalentry.com states "Please note: we only supply our lock entry tools and systems to locksmiths, safe technicians and other security professionals".


No worries with that. They're fine with the locksport community. It's just there for show ...... unless of course everything has changed.

But saying that, I'd say go with Petersons, only because I know a couple of people that have had troubles with their TE orders and a complete lack of communication to clear it up. I really hope they've now cleaned up their customer service now. Petersons on the other hand are spot on. You can pick up the phone and speak to the CEO any time you like.

I also bought mine from TE without any trouble. No idea how it goes when that happens. But hat's just my own experience, just thought I'd chme in :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

User avatar

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Posts: 3991

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Location: Michigan

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

In regards to the TE set rusting: I recently sanded one down (taking care not to lose thickness off the working ends),
then gave it two coats of Perma Blue. I like the looks of it & should prevent rust. We'll see how it holds up over time.
MBI has mentioned using a cold blue on picks & has some good tips on using it. Can't find where he posted though.

Question: I've two sets of Peterson prybars. I'd like to take one pair of them and place a 30ish degree bend in the middle.
I've no doubt the TE set would snap in two, and I've a sneaking suspicion Petersons will react the same way. Thoughts?

[EDIT] Xeo, didn't I see you snap a prybar once?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

flywheel

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 650

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Location: USA

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Oldfast wrote:Question: I've two sets of Peterson prybars. I'd like to take one pair of them and place a 30ish degree bend in the middle.
I've no doubt the TE set would snap in two, and I've a sneaking suspicion Petersons will react the same way. Thoughts?


Heat. Turn it orange, bend it, quench it. The metal composition may not respond to quenching, but it is easy to do regardless. Some might say temper it, but we're not exactly putting metal snapping strain on it during normal use. I haven't had any problems after putting a 90 degree bend on both sides of a pry bar I own.

Let me add I've been working with music wire lately and the stuff is awesome!
<<

xeo

User avatar

Catministrator
Catministrator

Posts: 2126

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:30 am

Location: East Coast, USA

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Oldfast wrote:[EDIT] Xeo, didn't I see you snap a prybar once?


LOL I most certainly have! So the coating on the TE bars is what is causing the rusting/fading from skin oil?

file.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Anarchy_won

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 639

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:11 am

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Xeo, have you tried the Sparrow Flat Tension bar's? I just got a set in the mail today and was wondering how they compare to the TE's and Peterson's.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

xeo

User avatar

Catministrator
Catministrator

Posts: 2126

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:30 am

Location: East Coast, USA

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:20 am

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Anarchy_won wrote:Xeo, have you tried the Sparrow Flat Tension bar's? I just got a set in the mail today and was wondering how they compare to the TE's and Peterson's.


I have, they are horrible in my opinion. Way too flexible. Barely any feedback.
Image
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware