FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What lockpicks brands do you use and why give us a review

<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Re: What lockpicks brands do you use and why give us a revie

I'm not really too qualified to give a review as I haven't used a very wide variety of picks yet but I'll tell you what I've found so far.

I first started with a small Southord set with no handles and didn't care for that part at all. I was pretty heavy handed at the time and they would cut into my skin after a very short time picking. The edges were rough and almost sharp enough to cut. They probably could have made a decent pick with lots of sanding and added handles, but straight out of the box those things just sucked. Even the TW that came with it wouldn't work in half my locks because it was too small. At least the price was right. If I was interested in making some handles though without making the pick itself though I can't think of any more perfect pick. But like I said, they need sanding so it's not just slapping some handles on and calling it a day.

I got a Peterson "The City" set after that and never looked back. I later bought an offset diamond and a Gem from them to add to my set. These also need a bit of sanding, though not as much as my old Southords, but any mass produced picks are going to need that. The tension wrench that came with it is from the "flat 5" set, I'm guessing the middle one as I've never seen them in person. My only gripe there is that I now hate to use anything BUT that wrench. You do lose a little feedback to the rubber handles but I have plenty of contact with the pick shaft with the way I hold them so that helps.

A couple other thoughts on Peterson though, I bought the "Masters Tri-Fold" pick case and a couple other picks. Around 3-4 days after I ordered them I got a call from Peterson saying that there was a problem in shipping and that they were 2 days late getting my order out. I thought it was pretty cool of them to call, most times when that happens companies just won't mention it or send out a form letter.

I do have one gripe though, the slots in my case from them are too small. I can get the picks in, but just barely. I don't think there would be any problem with the plasti-dip style handles and the molded plastic might be easier as they are smoother and more rigid, but my rubber handled picks are hard as hell to get to slide in. This is probably a good thing in the long run since leather stretches, but that takes awhile and right now it is a pain in the ass. One other, very minor, thing is that the description is slightly wrong. "The outer case is made of thicker cow skin, and the interior pockets are calfskin." Two of the three inner pockets are calf skin, but one is clearly the same leather used on the exterior. Also one of the cuts is slightly crooked as is a seam on one pocket. These are all very minor but they are noticeable.

Other than that all I have experience with are custom made picks so that's about it.

TL;DR: Get Petersons!
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:59 pm

I mostly use peterson, and my home brew, although I also have southord, southern specities, and klom picks. but at the end of the day its peterson and home brew. I also keep some Wizwazzle picks/tension wrenches (made by him not sparrow). so basically peterson/homebrew is the killer combo in my opinion although i would love to get a falle set.
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Peterson all the way! I do like HPC though but the feedback is a bit weird, or at least I think so. I actually used HPC for a month and then came back to my peterson and wondered why the hell I hadn't been using it the whole time. As for pro-loc, I am not a big fan. The pro-loc picks seem a bit too big.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Got a peterson 9pc GS pick set for Christmas and love it. I replaced the plug spinner with Southern specialties auto jigglers and warded padlock picks. Bogota "titans" and a modified peterson pry bar are hideing out in my wallet. Why? Because they work.
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:54 pm

I use my KLOM navigator set that I won from here. The tools are ok, nothing to write home about, but they are a decent middle ground. I also use a ShaLon hook that I like. I gave away a few of my ShaLon set to a friend who had mutual interest in locks. I know I want to upgrade one day and see what else there is on the market for tools, but funds are always such a bitch. :P

For TW's I use a set that wizwazzle hooked me up with. I love that set so much I'm afraid one day one of them will snap and I will never be able to make one like it. :p
Previous

Return to Product Reviews