FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Goso 23pc Pickset, UKBumpKeys.com

<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:43 am

Goso 23pc Pickset, UKBumpKeys.com

I've heard some good things about this pick set, so I thought I'd buy one to find out what all the fuss is about.

ImageImage

My first impressions were the automotive picks are big. Real big. The tips on some are just too big for my liking.
Like the double-hollow diamond offset. I tried that in multiple locks I've got laying around the shop, and couldn't find a single one it would fit in.
(EDIT: Sorry, I did get it into a Holden Commodore ignition, which is a track-key)

Similar story for the 'automotive turning tool'. Awesome outward spring on the tips, but although it has two different sized ends, I couldn't even get the smaller one into a keyway.
I could modify both the tools to work, but I shouldn't have to for a brand new product.
By my guess, to get both the turning tool and one of the Goso picks into a vehicle cylinder, the keyway would have to be so big it would be easier to set the wafers with your fingers.

The in-line pin cylinder picks suffer the same probliem. The tips are just so darn big, but Thick too. In Australia, we use alot of LW4 profiles. 85% of houses have a 5pin LW4 mortice cylinder (201). So what better to test it on?
I once again tested the hollow half-diamond, with a turning tool of my own.
This pick has both a notch on both the tip and the crest of the diamond, allowing for individual pin setting either way the pick is inserted.
Alas, I pushed to the rear of the cylinder and the pick got stuck. I've never gotten a pick stuck in a lock, but this one was stuck fast. I had to remove the tailpiece and manipulate it with another pick to remove the Goso hollow half-diamond.

This could be fixed by thinning down the pick, and maybe making the tips smaller. I think that because of the thickness, the tip moved into a pin hole and was wedged in there by the pressure of the profile.

The dimple pick is a unique one. I don't have much experience with dimple locks, apart from the KABA gemini and KABA 20S systems I work with at the local prison. I had a few new cylinders laying around that I tried with the dimple pick, but I didn't have much hope for it anyway.
Probably good for some older Mul-T-Lock or something, but nothing of quality.

I noticed that some of the slimline hooks are alot thinner than the rest of the picks. I would love to see the whole pickset come in this thickness.

With some modifing, I could get the hook picks and automotive picks\tention tool working, I don't know about the hollow-half-diamond though.
The dimple pick is useless to me, so I can't rate it. The double-half ball seems to work as per usual. The in-line pin cylinder turning tools are unusual, the smaller one in this set is equal to the largest in my day-to-day set. The larger one will need to be modified to work at all.

Overall rating is 4.5 out of 10
<<

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:23 am

Re: Goso 23pc Pickset, UKBumpKeys.com

Very good, fair, well written review.

Good job GutterClown.

Lew
<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:03 pm

GutterClown wrote:I've heard some good things about this pick set, so I thought I'd buy one to find out what all the fuss is about.

ImageImage

My first impressions were the automotive picks are big. Real big. The tips on some are just too big for my liking.
Like the double-hollow diamond offset. I tried that in multiple locks I've got laying around the shop, and couldn't find a single one it would fit in.
(EDIT: Sorry, I did get it into a Holden Commodore ignition, which is a track-key)

Similar story for the 'automotive turning tool'. Awesome outward spring on the tips, but although it has two different sized ends, I couldn't even get the smaller one into a keyway.
I could modify both the tools to work, but I shouldn't have to for a brand new product.
By my guess, to get both the turning tool and one of the Goso picks into a vehicle cylinder, the keyway would have to be so big it would be easier to set the wafers with your fingers.

The in-line pin cylinder picks suffer the same probliem. The tips are just so darn big, but Thick too. In Australia, we use alot of LW4 profiles. 85% of houses have a 5pin LW4 mortice cylinder (201). So what better to test it on?
I once again tested the hollow half-diamond, with a turning tool of my own.
This pick has both a notch on both the tip and the crest of the diamond, allowing for individual pin setting either way the pick is inserted.
Alas, I pushed to the rear of the cylinder and the pick got stuck. I've never gotten a pick stuck in a lock, but this one was stuck fast. I had to remove the tailpiece and manipulate it with another pick to remove the Goso hollow half-diamond.

This could be fixed by thinning down the pick, and maybe making the tips smaller. I think that because of the thickness, the tip moved into a pin hole and was wedged in there by the pressure of the profile.

The dimple pick is a unique one. I don't have much experience with dimple locks, apart from the KABA gemini and KABA 20S systems I work with at the local prison. I had a few new cylinders laying around that I tried with the dimple pick, but I didn't have much hope for it anyway.
Probably good for some older Mul-T-Lock or something, but nothing of quality.

I noticed that some of the slimline hooks are alot thinner than the rest of the picks. I would love to see the whole pickset come in this thickness.

With some modifing, I could get the hook picks and automotive picks\tention tool working, I don't know about the hollow-half-diamond though.
The dimple pick is useless to me, so I can't rate it. The double-half ball seems to work as per usual. The in-line pin cylinder turning tools are unusual, the smaller one in this set is equal to the largest in my day-to-day set. The larger one will need to be modified to work at all.

Overall rating is 4.5 out of 10

If You Are A Locksmith Why Don't You Use HPC Picks?
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:57 pm

I assume he wanted to give them a try. I own hpc picks but I would still like to try goso just for the experience.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

m0ose

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:40 pm

Romstar wrote:Moose has a few of these from Foley-Belsaw. That's who makes them, Kaba-Ilco.

I loved my free picks from Foley-Belsaw. For being plain old picks they last forever! Like honestly, I've screwed them up now, but had I taken a bit better care of them, they'd be in perfect condition still.

Though, do let me say, they were picks I used to start off on. I didn't intentionally hurt them, but when you have hands that work like a bowl of semi-hard jello, things don't last, even once you change your ways. :P
<<

Kai

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:25 am

Romstar wrote: The first "professional" pick set I owned was made by ESP.

Didn't know anyone knew who they were. This was my first set ever...

Think I've had them for ~15 years.

As for the Goso set, I appreciate the honest review. I noticed the same problem with size using the Kloms. Since they seem to use similar wafer pick templates I was worried that they would suffer the same drawbacks.

I really like the hook variety in the Kloms though (Use them 95% of the time anyway) so I'm excited to see how Goso's stack up. Will be sure to hijack this thread once they arrive. :D

Return to Product Reviews