FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

5 in 1 key decoder

<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:53 pm

5 in 1 key decoder

This may not be the right forum, this isn't so much a review as a major descrepancy I've found. After impressioning a key for a lock and cleaning it up I decided to repin the lock with new pins so I used this decoder and the key did not work. I thought there are many reasons it didn't work, I measured the wrong spot, pins are worn down to match the key. So I decided to measure the key spacing and depth, the pins and they matched up to the references I had. So just to check I measured the decoder and it was off, I thought maybe since I'm realtively new to this I was missunderstanding my references or doing it wrong, so I measured the other 4 key companies and they matched there reference, so here is what I have and where it went wrong:

Master Decoder measurments vs reference(decoder measurments were not precise but close enough to notice the difference.)

Cut depth___Decoder____Reference
0___________.323_________.280
1___________.308_________.265
2___________.292_________.250
3___________.279(.280)____.235
4___________.262(.265)____.220
5___________.250_________.205
6___________.234(.235)____.190
7___________.218(.220)____.175
8___________.202(.205)____ N/A
9___________.186(.190)____ N/A

As you see in the ( ) it could be a shift of 3(3=0/9=6) but even then I'd only hae to 6 on the master scale missing two key depths or a shift of 2 for american key depths. Either way it is off.

Does anyone else have this decoder and have this issue?

I am going to email my findings to MasterLock because maybe I am that new and there is more than just master padlock key cuts, but I doubt that they would be different sizes than that. In the mean time I'm going to find a more accurate decoder for my needs. Any input on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: 5 in 1 key decoder

After researching and learning a lot I realized that the Master part of this gauge is not for master padlocks and that is why it is not the same.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: 5 in 1 key decoder

Got the same decoder, and good piece of intel. Makes sense though.

Return to Product Reviews