FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

SouthOrd Dimple Pickset

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:58 pm

SouthOrd Dimple Pickset

Recently acquired the SouthOrd Dimple pickset from Lockpickshop.com

It comes with:

3 x Tension Wrenches
9 x Pick Blades
2 x "Thumb" Picks
1 x Pick Handle

The set came in a small cardboard box with the pick blades and thumb picks contained in a small ziplock bag. On first inspection the products gave off that Job-Lot "cheap" feeling. However after using them, they do uphold the Southord name. The construction of the handle is pretty cool as you unscrew the gold locking collar, insert a pick blade of your choice, and screw it back down. Be careful when picking not to hold onto the gold collar as your pick will come unscrewed if you apply enough rotational force.

Of all the things in this pick set, I like the tension wrenches the most. The Z-shaped wrench is very cool for use in any type of lock for bottom keyway tension. The other wrench that is nothing but a long thick piece of metal bent at a 45 degree angle is useless in my opinion. I'm probably going to modify it into something else.

However... the double sided wrench seen on the far left in the pics below is one of my new favorite wrenches. It provides killer bottom tension in awkward keyways where other standard wrenches will bind up and "snap" into place. If you don't know what I'm refering to, try sticking a standard wrench in the bottom of an American Lock keyway and force it until it snaps and binds at an angle between warding and the bottom of the keyway.

As far as picking goes... they are great dimple picks. They are strong enough to withstand moderate to high abuse. There are various pick blades for different attack methods. The "Thumb-picks" can be used for raking.

There is one drawback to these picks... the blades themselves are squared off. This is an unintelligent design flaw on Southord's part as the squared edges on these picks restricts rotation inside certain restrictive keyways.

Sorry about the quality of some of these pics. I did the best I could.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by xeo on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: SouthOrd Dimple Pickset

Great Review! Have you had a chance to pick anything with them yet??
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Picked the Israeli Mul-t-lock G55 7x7.. and a Yale Stainless 5 pin dimple. The Yale has a crazy annoying keyway which really pronounces the squared rotation problem with these picks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:43 pm

nice picking mate now you have the yale open lol
keep going dont look back allways achive your goals
and follow your dreams................
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:59 pm

I have one dimple lock, that I can't pick, so I don't know alot about them, but I would be scared to buy anything Southord, I really don't like there quality, those dimple picks look ok, the problem is, as you mentioned, it never fails, they seem to make alot of tools that almost always have something wrong with them, you said they are hard to use in a tight keyway, well, to me that is a big downfall. My biggest hang up with them is there overall quality. I hate to cheap out on tools. I started out with Southord picks and I feel it put me way behind in succeeding in the picking hobby.

Edit: I just read this and I seem like an ass, I am sorry, I do appreciate your review. I will probably be buying some dimple tools to play around with sometime and this does help.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:29 am

the lockpickkid wrote:Edit: I just read this and I seem like an ass, I am sorry, I do appreciate your review. I will probably be buying some dimple tools to play around with sometime and this does help.

I was torn between this set, the more expensive Souber tools, and "GOSO", Don't get me wrong, they are strong/useful tools. The handle is very strong in holding a pick. They perform well minus the restrictive keyway issue (which can actually be somewhat overcome with technique using the curved picks they provide). I've picked that Mul-T-Lock about 20+ times trying different pin orders and playing around with raking and various pick blades and such. For the price I'd say its one hell of a dimple starter kit.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Kid doesn't like southord because their picks aren't designed with the heavy-handed user in mind. ;)

Nice review, they look very similar to the goso set although the handle looks cleaner and better machined. The goso set has more tips, but it's way more than necessary... the southord set looks like it has more than you'd ever use so the amount of tips you get with the goso is a little baffling. I guess they'd each come in handy in one way or another though... I can't pick dimples for shit so I tend to stay away from them; I'm not the best person to be giving feedback with regards to that side of things.

What I can say though, is that the gosos are very strong and durable. I'd imagine the southords are just as good (if not better), so for those who are quite over-zealous with their picks they'd be more than enough to stand the test of time. The goso set shares the squared off pick blades and I agree, they can be a pain in the ass. The smaller ones are ok though.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:05 am

Just to add to this.. I recently sort of broke my Mul-t-lock and had a couple pins stuck. In my frustration, I used this southord dimple pick to put some pretty extreme force on one of the pins. The pick did not show the slightest degree of bend/stress. Trust me, I'm heavy handed (I have broken a peterson government steel standard thickness shorthook) and these are VERY strong picks.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Hey xe0,

Thanks for the review! I appreciate the pics too, they are good enough for the purposes I was asking about for sure! GTK on the strength too.

-Elbow
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Yep, thanks for the review on the strength, despite what Solomon thinks he knows about me, I am not heavy handed. Strength is a big deal. I always like to buy the best tools, I don't want to buy something that is weak when I can spend a few extra bucks and get something that is stronger.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Another thing I failed to mention... if you hold the pick by the collar while picking, depending on how tight you screwed it down, if you apply too much force the collar unscrews itself. You can setup a kind of tension regulator by screwing it down lightly and holding by the collar to force you to go light-handed. very cool imo

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image

Return to Product Reviews