FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

<<

aeporia

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 129

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:41 am

Location: Australia

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

Papa Gleb wrote:I placed anther order since I was returning a hook and just received the new picks. Half are old stock (meaning the pre budget cuts) and half are post but what I understand is that if your pick has a stamp on the metal (e.g. H1, H7 etc) then that is the old pre budget cut picks and if your picks dont have that then they are the newer stuff. All of the picks that have that V or U finish I mentioned have the pick style stamped on them.


Veeerry interesting. Out of the 8 or so Petersons I own only 2 have the seal, but all have held up well so far.
<<

Papa Gleb

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 1088

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

The metal is exactly the same. I cant imagine them changing it no matter how tough times get but if you compare them all side by side you may notice several "flaws" in the new ones. Its very noticable in the metal finish of the old and new, very but even with the old finish you still should sand it down for a baby butt smooth operation so it doesnt even matter that much. Only plus with the old is that its less to sand and its nice to have a seal :)
<<

just1pick+open

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 185

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:13 am

Location: Pennsylvania

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:26 am

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

And another piece of SHIT..... :bird: raking a Schlage, c'mon man
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

Papa Gleb

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 1088

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:44 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

Look at the bright side, now you have a short hook
<<

rerun12

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 434

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Location: Connecticut

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

sorry to see that, ken while surely refund you id wager. also, check my other post about the flawed popsicle handle bogotas, they don't work anywhere near as well as the originals and i can see them breaking all the time.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

LocksportSouth

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 368

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 am

Location: UK

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

Papa Gleb wrote:Look at the bright side, now you have a short hook


I laughed way, way too much at this :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

just1pick+open - Sorry man, that's a shitty way to go. I've seen threads regarding Petersons quality on all three of the forums I frequent now; clearly not an isolated issue. A damn shame. Mine actually don't seem bad at all but the finish could be improved for sure and I haven't spent enough time with them yet to give a definitive conclusion.
<<

just1pick+open

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 185

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:13 am

Location: Pennsylvania

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

LocksportSouth wrote:
Papa Gleb wrote:Look at the bright side, now you have a short hook


I laughed way, way too much at this :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

just1pick+open - Sorry man, that's a shitty way to go. I've seen threads regarding Petersons quality on all three of the forums I frequent now; clearly not an isolated issue. A damn shame. Mine actually don't seem bad at all but the finish could be improved for sure and I haven't spent enough time with them yet to give a definitive conclusion.

I called them today and I was told they have not had any complaints and they don't know what to tell me...no results :bs:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

LocksportSouth

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 368

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 am

Location: UK

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

Ugh, always the way. I'm currently involved in a thread on another forum about some SouthOrd dimple picks and the attitude was exactly the same... "Not had any complaints".... "Not our problem"... It's sad to see the state of some companies' customer service these days.
<<

just1pick+open

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 185

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:13 am

Location: Pennsylvania

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:56 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

LocksportSouth wrote:Ugh, always the way. I'm currently involved in a thread on another forum about some SouthOrd dimple picks and the attitude was exactly the same... "Not had any complaints".... "Not our problem"... It's sad to see the state of some companies' customer service these days.

Do you like the southord dimple picks ?...would you recommend them ?
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

LocksportSouth

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 368

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 am

Location: UK

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

Well, I've just sold mine to a member of that forum. Soooo.... In short: The tips sometimes slip out of the handle even when fully tightened, and the milling is quite sharp.
Here's the thread about it
You can buy a GOSO branded, SouthOrd knockoff from BangGood for half the price and apparently it works better.
<<

Neilau

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 735

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:29 am

Location: Australia

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

Looks like Peterson's Customer service really sucks.

Come on, replacing the pick plus an apology is worth orders of magnitude more than one pick, in good will alone.

Good will is very important when your customer base is relatively small and in regular contact. For the price of one pick they have probably lost a lot of business.

I don't understand it. :???:

I had a new Sparows pick break on me and contacted them (via email). They immediately sent a replacement pick plus some torsion tools (and I'm in Australia).

They now have a loyal customer and I recommend them to others.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Lauren

Active Member

Posts: 279

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 am

Location: United States

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

What will happen if Ken dies tomorrow? Will everyone still buy his products? And, will his product still be in production? All of you complainers should enjoy the ride. Here's a man that took a life journey just to make things a little brighter for everyone. Please, find me one person in the forum who has talked to Ken in the last 30 days to determine the issues with quality control. Those who know are not talking or Ken is not telling. Picks are a dime a dozen to any locksmith. Every brand breaks or will eventually fail. Can we just get off this horse? I can complain about Wal-Mart all day long. Sorry, Wal-Mart associates. Still, someone will jump on the band wagon and respond. Not every pick profile will hold up. The Pagoda profile is relatively new to Peterson. It was an attempt to bring something "more" to the Peterson fellowship. Some things work and some things fail. Nevertheless, Peterson will undergo many more change. The company's future rests on merits of one man.
<<

just1pick+open

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 185

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:13 am

Location: Pennsylvania

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:16 am

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

Lauren wrote:What will happen if Ken dies tomorrow? Will everyone still buy his products? And, will his product still be in production? All of you complainers should enjoy the ride. Here's a man that took a life journey just to make things a little brighter for everyone. Please, find me one person in the forum who has talked to Ken in the last 30 days to determine the issues with quality control. Those who know are not talking or Ken is not telling. Picks are a dime a dozen to any locksmith. Every brand breaks or will eventually fail. Can we just get off this horse? I can complain about Wal-Mart all day long. Sorry, Wal-Mart associates. Still, someone will jump on the band wagon and respond. Not every pick profile will hold up. The Pagoda profile is relatively new to Peterson. It was an attempt to bring something "more" to the Peterson fellowship. Some things work and some things fail. Nevertheless, Peterson will undergo many more change. The company's future rests on merits of one man.

With all due respect I am not trying to trash anybody or their product...I am simply passing along my experience, some on here have had the same problem as me and complained to the company...I just found it interesting that the company won't even acknowledge there's an issue and thought I would pass along the info for those concerned.
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

just1pick+open

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 185

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:13 am

Location: Pennsylvania

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

LocksportSouth wrote:Well, I've just sold mine to a member of that forum. Soooo.... In short: The tips sometimes slip out of the handle even when fully tightened, and the milling is quite sharp.
Here's the thread about it
You can buy a GOSO branded, SouthOrd knockoff from BangGood for half the price and apparently it works better.

Thanks for the info locksportSouth :mrgreen:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

Doogs

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 485

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:26 pm

Location: Gananoque, ON, Canada

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Peterson's Significant Down Grade (?)

Well I just received my Petersons in the mail. Mostly old stock but I splurged on a Euro Slim Gem and sure enough it's got a defect and rough edges while the others are smooth and sweet.

Now to be fair it's a rather small defect and looks like a stamping flaw i'll try to get a decent pic and post it.

Image

Image

I'm a little disappointed as these are my first Peterson picks.

Image

Maybe this is the cause of the problem.. WTF is RSA?

Image

Notice the branding" Peterson international" are they outsourcing?
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware