FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Static SPP'ing

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 am

Static SPP'ing

Ok guys, I see 99% of the pickers that post their videos on YouTube picking their locks using the standard 3:05 position (or if you're a lefty it's the 8:55 position). You know the position I'm talking about - the thumb underneath the body of the lock and the forefinger resting on the tension wrench. It looks like the hands on a clock - hence the 3:05 position.

Anyway, seldom do you see anyone picking their locks statically - in other words - fixed (or otherwise immovable with minimal hand contact) in a vise, jig, or door.

I've always done this type of picking myself - but in the back of my mind, I've never thought of this as being realistic to conditions you might find in real life.

I felt I was cheating myself on learning the art of picking, due to the fact that I could, in some small way, manipulate my left hand to assist my right hand that was holding the pick.

In some small, but significant way, I was able to slightly turn or twist the lock to help me get at a stubborn pin. Plus, I could feel the vibrations through the lock body - in the palm of my hand.

I though to myself that a better test of my skill (which is limited - because I'm learning something new everyday) would be to immobolize my target lock and try picking it.

This would be a more realistic test of my ability to feel the feedback from the pick and tension wrench - through my fingertips.

The results? In my experiment, I found I'm not near as good as I thought I was.

So try this next time - take one or two of your favorite practice locks - the kind you've picked a jillion times before - and stick it in a vise.

Then try SPP'ing to see how good you are. If you're like me, you'll find that the easy "punching bag" lock that flopped open at the mere touch of your magic pick - is now a belligerent bastard.

Anyway, here's my vid - sit back, put the cans on your ears, and enjoy the tune - and maybe learn a little bit...

<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Static SPP'ing

nice job putting that together :D
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:31 am

I know exactly what you mean. When I first went to pick my front door I was like... er, ok this is different! I'm getting a vice soon so I will defo be trying this.

Really cool vid too!
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:17 am

Bender wrote:I know exactly what you mean. When I first went to pick my front door I was like... er, ok this is different! I'm getting a vice soon so I will defo be trying this.

Really cool vid too!

See, that's what I was talking about. When you pick the lock (especially padlocks) in your hand, your hands subconciously work in unison to accomplish the task. The manipulation plane of the work area ( x and y axis) is 360 degress.

But with the lock in a vise, the work area is reduced significantly to a flat plane of 180 degrees.

In other words, instead of having a totally round spherical area to attack the lock - the vise cuts that sphere - and attack angle - in half.

Whew...damn, I can't believe I just said all that.

Brain tired....gotta rest....
:?
<<

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:44 am

Using different methods of tension always comes into play when it's attatched to a door.

That's why some tension wrenches have the 90 degree twist in them because the door handle can get in the way and so forth.

It's the same as bumping, all well and good when it's in your hand but on the door it's a whole nother ball game.

Lew
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:14 pm

That's a nice little jig to use for loose cylinder cores. In fact, I have one of these that I use from time to time to practice with.

But, if you have a mortise or rim cylinder with the core attached, a soft-jawed vise is preferable.

Here's the type of Panavise that I use, except with a heavier base.
<<

superlenny

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:18 pm

SpaceyStacey wrote:I saw a neat clamp thing on youtube that had 3 slots for 3 locks to slide in. Part if a begginner kit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA3UjYqt6Xw[/youtube]

For me, I think this may be a good thing - my hands are kinda small and it is hard to maneuver some of the bigger locks. I Have a vice in the garage, and I like this lock tool from the vid too. :-)

i hate that gye in the video a bit really,
he can nothing not evan with the pistol BUT he, he of all people
think making turtorials and tell beginners some stuff like:
eam..jiggel arround in there and when it someday opens you are an proved
lockpicker :shock:
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:24 pm

I think about this sometimes too. I know I use my left hand to help. I have thought about putting my locks in a vise to make it more realistic, but never done it more than once or twice. The locks I have picked, or tried to pick that are on doors are always much harder. Part of it is the position, squatting or kneeling at the door. My preferred position for picking locks is leaning back in my chair with my feet up on the table.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:56 pm

I agree, I find it is harder to pick a lock in a vise, not quite as hard to pick it in a door because of the way you can rest the heel of your hand on the door above the knob or deadbolt. I think ratyoke got it right when he said it is the discomfort of kneeling or picking a lock in an undesired position that can lead to it being much harder to focus. If you want to use your hobby skills in a real world situation though it is something you should take into consideration. Padlocks aren't always mounted so you can swing them to a position that you like, or can even barely see the keyway from. I've got a little fold up tripod stool I use to practice doors, but for those of you who can a carpet layers kneepad isn't a terrible idea. Try mounting your padlocks in different positions. Picking them behind your back is a good bit of fun. All of it can return difficulty to a lock you have long since dissmissed as boring.
<<

m0ose

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:57 pm

I've actually done both. I never started holding my locks until I saw Slim do it. From there it's just easier, but yes, I agree that for practice, static is a real son of a bitch. :P
<<

Spinster

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:19 pm

I bought a Segal 5-pin cylinder (no security pins) at the local hardware chain recently. After a week or so of picking it while holding it in my hand it got to the point where I could consistently open it in under 45 seconds or so. I decided to stick it in a vise and pick it that way, thinking that I would be able to pick it even faster that way.
I was way off base. Sticking it in the vise gave it a completely different feel, as if it were an entirely different lock. I actually had to remove a few pins before I could open it- five pins was simply impossible.
At least with this Segal core, I find that when holding it in my hand I could apply a lot more tension. Putting it in the vise requires a much more delicate touch.
My rule of thumb now is to hold padlocks in my hand and put cylinders in the vise.
S
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:21 pm

Spinster wrote:My rule of thumb now is to hold padlocks in my hand and put cylinders in the vise.
S

I did this vid as an excercise to get people to think in more realistic terms. If you ran into a padlock in the field, the lock could be handled and manipulated in such a way as to reach the pins more easily.

But a rim cylinder or mortise cylinder poses another variable into the equation, in that the lock is fixed. You can't twist and turn the lock off its vertical or horizontal axis to allow your picking instrument better access into the keyway.

We need to hone our skills to address any unexpected or unusual circumstances in order to become better at lockpicking.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox.
<<

m0ose

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:39 am

SpaceyStacey wrote:I saw a neat clamp thing on youtube that had 3 slots for 3 locks to slide in. Part if a begginner kit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA3UjYqt6Xw[/youtube]

For me, I think this may be a good thing - my hands are kinda small and it is hard to maneuver some of the bigger locks. I Have a vice in the garage, and I like this lock tool from the vid too. :-)

That's neat. I've seen some like that before. For pinning Foley-Belsaw suggests you make something like that to put the cylinder in. You can take an extra bible and cut a wide notch in the top to open it up and then just clamp the part where the top pins go in a vice and from there you can slide the cylinder in there, pins up. It's great for pinning. (I might have to take pictures if that wasn't clear enough)
<<

andy77

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:03 pm

When I started practicing on a vise, I needed to change my grip, as well. Whereas I was a pencil grip for padlocks, I had to go with more of a toothbrush hold for SPP.

A couple things to watch out for with a vise:

Be sure not to clamp the c-clip on the back of the lock (which keeps you from being able to pull out the plug). This will keep the plug from rotating and pins from binding. And secondly, do not clamp the cylinder too hard. I worked for days on a lock, once (off and on), only to find that the vise was clamped to tight and deforming the cylinder so that the plug would not turn and the pins would not bind. Too much late night practice with caffeine. I guess. :)
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 pm

andy77 wrote:When I started practicing on a vise, I needed to change my grip, as well. Whereas I was a pencil grip for padlocks, I had to go with more of a toothbrush hold for SPP.

A couple things to watch out for with a vise:

Be sure not to clamp the c-clip on the back of the lock (which keeps you from being able to pull out the plug). This will keep the plug from rotating and pins from binding. And secondly, do not clamp the cylinder too hard. I worked for days on a lock, once (off and on), only to find that the vise was clamped to tight and deforming the cylinder so that the plug would not turn and the pins would not bind. Too much late night practice with caffeine. I guess. :)

You're absolutely right. C-c-c-c-offee c-c-c-can d-d-do that to you!

As far as deforming the cylinder, that's why I use a panavise w/ rubber padded jaws...that way I don't clamp down too hard on the cylinder and give myself some ability to change angles easily.
Next

Return to Tutorials