FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Dying Plastic

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

nhoj_yelbom

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Dying Plastic

my recent order of mul t lock keys came in green and red, of course i wanted the standard blue interactive keys. multlockonline failed to inform me that they were out of the blue keys, cut them and shipped them to me. i have used this method to dye car parts, rc car parts, pretty much all plastics.
items you need
rit clothing dye - liquid or powder is the same

stove and a pot - items need to fit inside the pot
started with these

metal clothes hangers - used to hang the items in the water above the bottom of the pan

mix the dye and correct amount of water in the pot on med to med high temp. cut the wire hangers down to hang the items from, i taped the keys to them. keep the items from getting too hot, pull them out every couple minutes to check them. the longer you dye them the deeper it will soak in, rc car parts that get grinded on concrete get a longer bath.

finished product
Wanted TrioVing, ASSA, BiLock, Environmental Locks and Keys, Ingersoll
<<

james504

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Re: Dying Plastic

good job bro didnt know that would work!....lol those keys look crazy in the pics...... :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/MsJames504
<<

whizdumb

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Sweet little DIY tutorial.. Thanks for the info.
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Awesome post, great work.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Pretty cool on dying the bows, but I don't know if it's very helpful if it melts the key blade... (j/k) :)
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Cool idea.

I haven't tried it on Mul-T-Lock key bows specifcally but the paint and dye markers specifically made for taggers and graffitists (I didn't know companies were catering specifically for that market until very recently) will deeply and permanently stain virtually all surfaces including plastic and metal. Markers and "mops" such as the Illadel Buff Resistant Squeeze Mop are designed to be buff resistant i.e. to resist efforts to remove via abrasion and they do this by deeply staining, they penetrate deep into the material. Some will also resist some of the solvents commonly used to remove graffiti and tags. Also, the inks that these mops and markers take are available in bottles to refill the markers. These will not require elevated temperature to take to the material. These are really nasty. I have started using them for layout purposes to mark around a stencil of a pick to leave a "positive" outline of the pick design. If you use templates and spray paint to transfer a pick design these markers are a good alternative if you live in a flat/apartment. They will mark the metal as well as any paint (in some cases even better) and will not fill the room with fumes.

For layout work I use the Molotow 440PP Burner Paint Marker. It is nasty. To colour an item I would use a deeply staining ink mop/marker (eg. Illadel or Krink marker/mop because they are designed to seep into the material) or a bath in Illadel Bombing Ink or Illadel Heavy Pigment.

Is that a Photoshop effect that you used to obscure the bittings? I'm interested to know how that effect was achieved.
<<

nhoj_yelbom

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:57 pm

The dye i used penetrates the plastic just like some of the inks you mentioned. The dye is easy to handle, use pots you cook with without damaging them. Its a safe and odorless dye that can be bought at grocery stores, walmart etc. The effect is from photobucket editor under distort.
Wanted TrioVing, ASSA, BiLock, Environmental Locks and Keys, Ingersoll
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:01 am

Great tutorial thanks :salute:

Return to Tutorials