FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Door hinge adjustment

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Door hinge adjustment

So I had to drive 200 miles to adjust a door that would not latch today. This is a fairly common problem usually brought on by the door sagging over time. Today the opposite was true though, but I am not sure why other than possibly weather changes, the hotter season shifting the building.

Any how the latch was too high so when they closed the door it would not go into the strike. So I needed to kick the door down a little so I started with the top hinge. In the picture you can see I placed a piece of popsicle stick on the side closest to the hinge. That pushes the top of the door over this bringing the latch down slightly.
Screenshot_2014-05-24-20-05-11.png

I tried the door but it would still not latch. So at the bottom hinge I did the opposite and put the sick closer to the middle of the frame drawing the bottom of the door in bringing the latch down a little more.
Screenshot_2014-05-24-20-05-05.png

That still did not work so I went back to the top hinge and put another sick on top of the first one and that did the trick. In the picture below I drew the yellow lines on the picture approximately where I drew with a ball point pen on the strike. I drew at the top and bottom openings of the strike so I could diagnose that adjustment is what it needed in the first place, then after that use them to show my progress.
Screenshots_2014-05-24-13-48-02.png

By the way don't glue the sticks. I use a dab of lithium grease to get them to stay put.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Gratefuldeadbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Door hinge adjustment

The Hinge Doctor is a great tool to make small adjustments to hinges. Specifically good for squeezing the hinge leafs tight again. This closes the gap at that hinge between the door and frame.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun May 25, 2014 2:14 am

Will have a rummage through my bits and bobs , and show the chaps an adjustable pvc door hinge (and how it adjusts)
Open Sez Me !
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:43 am

I use those peal and stick floor tiles, cut them to fit, and they stick were you put them.

No not the stone ones
<<

C locked

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 21, 2015 5:30 am

nozza36 wrote:Will have a rummage through my bits and bobs , and show the chaps an adjustable pvc door hinge (and how it adjusts)

seriously i think that if you could it would be a great help
I count myself as a novice when dealing with hanging and adjusting doors
(Unlocking and servicing the lock, no problem)

Even a couple of photos showing where adjustment is available would be helpful
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 24, 2015 8:14 am

selim wrote:I use those peal and stick floor tiles, cut them to fit, and they stick were you put them.

No not the stone ones

I've also heard of people using thin magnets (like the advertisement ones)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Very nice, MDC. Good example to show people how to adjust the hinge.

@Selim - why not the stone ones? The will last a looooong time! :lol:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:44 am

If you look at the door frame, in relation to the gap around the door when it's closed, you will see what's moved and caused the problem.
We used to use roofing felt for Packers.( Thick and thin).
If you over pack the hinge, it may cause the door to hit on the lock side.
We used to use match sticks in the screw holes if the screws weren't pulling tight enough on an old door frame.
Some times if a door frame had a gap at the bottom and was sagging due to poor fixings, we would cut a thin wedge and tap it up a little.

Return to Tutorials