FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

American T-900 N&W Lock

<<

Lockman4783

Familiar Face

Location: United States Fostoria,Ohio Otherwise known as the Iron Triangle

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:28 am

American T-900 N&W Lock

Hey guys I recently picked up one of these locks on Ebay, However there are some issues I noted when I got it, 1. The lock does not stay closed.. And I know the ballbearing inside are not ceased. And 2. Which is probably the problem, The key when inserted into the lock goes all the way around, Even when turning to the left. I think maybe the retainer inside is broke or stuck. What I need to figure out here is how to remove the keyway. I have unscrewed the screw inside where the shackle seats down but the core still won't come out.. What am I missing here?? Thanks in Advance.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:11 am

Re: American T-900 N&W Lock

Can you post a few pictures?
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Lockman4783

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 am

Here ya go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 am

The "no tension when turning" part makes me think the spring that returns the cam/actuator into place is broken. You would have to disassemble it to be sure.

<<

Lockman4783

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 am

Right, that's what I have to figure out. I need to know what additional steps are required for dissembly, Past taking the screw out. As many years as I have collected I have never really got into dissassembly or picking of locks. It's more fun to me to go through the 3,000+ sum keys I have and try to find a match. It's like a big virtual jig saw puzzle. Ever break one of these locks down before?
<<

Riyame

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:55 am

It does have a screw in the shackle hole? Then it is easy past that part.

Take the screw out and then tap the lock on a solid surface with the open shackle hole facing up. It should shake loose a pin holding the lock cylinder in place and the cylinder should fall/pull out. If not try smacking it a bit harder. If not try cleaning the lock with brakleen or something down the screw hole.

(Edit to fix directions.)

<<

Lockman4783

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks! That was what I needed to do. I removed the core and retainer from my HT-15 padlock. The T-900 is still fighting me but I applied some oil down the hole so hopefully here after a while that pin will give way and I can take the core out.
<<

Riyame

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:17 am

You might also try putting in the key and wiggling the lock cylinder around while tapping it.

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:14 am

So what was the final verdict on cause? Were the lugs on the plug not aligned with the cam? Broken off? Lock cylinder not seated far enough into the lock? Pin holding the tubular lock shell missing or broken?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lockman4783

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:18 am

Have not made it that far yet, I applied some gun oil to the inner part of the lock and I am letting it soak in. I have been pounding the hell out of the side of the thing trying to get that security pin to give but gave up on it for a while. I am gonna give it another go around here soon. It's been soaking for about an hour and a half now. I think I know whats wrong, Just as Riyame said, the spring is probably busted inside. I talked to a guy I know who works for the railroad and he said they always had problems with them locks freezing up when out on the lines, they would break keys off in them, and even use flares to try and unfreeze them, So my guess is that one of the guys cranked on the key trying to open it and broke that spring inside.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Not normally into necro posting. But came across the same lock with the same problem (only intermittent, but sometimes the key could turn 360 degrees without unlocking the padlock. Just made a post on what was wrong and how to repair it.

A lot of these padlocks seem to be showing up on eBay recently. Due to the age of these locks and their outdoor usage, there will likely be other people having this problem. Hope the thread linked helps people out.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Tubular Locks