FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Upcoming Trip to China - Suggest locks to buy

<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Thu May 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Upcoming Trip to China - Suggest locks to buy

Hello Wise KP Collective,

My mother is going to China next week and wants to buy me a couple locks (yay :smile: ). She will have local friends acting as guides for both the sights + shopping trips; however, I have no idea what to suggest.

Regarding the lock, ideally something for lockpicking such as a high security padlock or mortise cylinder. Of course something that would be much cheaper when purchased in China.

What high quality brands + associated models are manufactured in China? I dream of someday getting ahold of Assa D12 but I doubt that they are made in China - maybe Trioving, Anchor Las, Mul-T-Lock, etc ? Or even a high end Chinese brand lock that is unavailable/difficult to find via internet shipping?

Any suggestions of brands + models would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Re: Upcoming Trip to China - Suggest locks to buy

I don't know much about Chinese locks, but if you search 'Chinese' or 'China' on here, you'll come across a couple of cool looking ones. Might give you some ideas.

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Fri May 09, 2014 8:14 pm

Mikeh727 wrote:I don't know much about Chinese locks, but if you search 'Chinese' or 'China' on here, you'll come across a couple of cool looking ones. Might give you some ideas.

-Mike

Thanks for response Mike.

I have been trying to figure out what models are made in China from well-known lock manufacturers (e.g., even well known German lock companies like Abus produce some of their products in China), but perhaps a Chinese brand lock maker more sense.

Cheers
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri May 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Even Master makes many of their locks in China. Unfortunately, don't know Chinese, nor Chinese lock brands. Sure there are some I'd love to get ahold of.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 10, 2014 6:54 pm

When I was in Thailand I had a chuckle at all of the tri-circle clones. I picked up a Hueng Circle, Three-Circle, and even a Tri-Circus branded lock which was great. There were dozens of brands, but Solex and Solo were the most common. I also enjoyed picking up packages that didn't match the lock. Like, a disk detainer lock with packaging describing a pin tumbler lock. One of my favorites was a disk detainer lock and key and the key head was that of a Schlage. Of course, your mother won't notice why these stand out. But the door hardware section of any hardware store should have some strange looking locks to choose from.

Also, you could give her some pics like these to help her identify some unusual types to watch for:
http://www.uxcell.com/replacement-door- ... 28510.html
http://www.dx.com/p/quality-diy-stainle ... 27J-8fBIbQ
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Mon May 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks guys for your kind responses.

Gordon,
I imagine there must be so many cool locks to find on the shelves of Chinese lock shops. My only hope is that I can guide my fair mother to find something interesting/unusual/high quality/etc - rather than simply a cheap knockoff of a well known standard lock.

Plugspin,
Thanks so much for your ideas and links. I am putting together a page of pictures of various locks + lock-types to look for and possible alternatives such as to find a specialty lock shop and buy the heaviest padlock in the store (but give it to her driver for carrying - yes, they apparently have a dedicated driver for the trip :) ).

Cheers,
Sean

Return to Buy, Sell & Trade