FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

For sale: Abus Padlock Cutaways

<<

HiNtZ

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: For sale: Abus Padlock Cutaways

HallisChalmers wrote:
MANDELBROT27 wrote:I dont really understand the concept.A cutaway padlock is for beginners to practice and understand the inners of a lock. (In the context of sport lock picking) So why would you want to spend £72 on a practice lock ?? You can buy the ultimate practice lock from the shop for £18.
For £72 you could buy a FEDERAL 730P or a CHUBB CONQUEST 1K22
Dont know if other members would agree but this site is about helping each other out, not making a killing.Thats why the shop is so cheap! Id stick to Ebay or maybe wait for EZpicking to return if all your interested in is making money from locks.
Hands up :oops: i suppose £20 is not bad but id still go for one made for the job for the reasons stated in your Ebay advert

Ok, I'll step into this pissing match and get my boots wet.

First of all, there is a misconception that a cutaway padlock is a practice lock.

This is incorrect.

A "cutaway" padlock can be a PRACTICE lock - but it can also be a COLLECTOR'S lock. I've seen many examples on eBay and elsewhere, such as the American Lock Collectors Association website.

http://alca.us/cutaway.php

http://alca.us/cutaway.php?aa=0&si0=16

Some of the best examples are factory cutaways done as salesman's samples by Yale, American, Best, etc. Finding one in pristine condition can fetch big bucks.

Others, crafted by hobbyists or other aficiondaos can range from expertly done - to chunks of brass that look like they've been hacked with an axe.

Mandelbrot, I don't think Hintz was trying to rip people off. His ad here is exactly what it is - an ad for cutaway locks that can be used for practice - or collecting, depending on the buyer's personal desire. Since, Hintz has put his samples on eBay - the bidders can decide what they want to pay for the item. If it's too much - don't bid. No guns to any one's head.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $100 for a set of matchbooks: http://cgi.ebay.com/EARLY-LOT-OF-32-CAR-GASOLINE-OIL-AUTOPARTS-MATCH-BOOKS_W0QQitemZ390005393364QQihZ026QQcategoryZ156501QQssPageNameZWDVWQQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I bet you the poor dumb bastard that put the staples in the bottom of each matchbook wished he had been paid $100 to put the damn things together 50 years ago.

Unfortunately, many of us tend to overlook the hard work that it takes to create a one-off item. If we take into account the time, effort, head-scratching, cussing and discussing, parts and materials, etc., that it takes to create a piece - we'd be singing a different tune.

I've run into this same situation when people sell handmade picks. Just look at the work that Awol, Ratyoke and ToolyMcGee put into their lockpicks. Would you expect them to sell their stuff for the same price that Lockpicking.com sells their stuff?

Remember - nobody works for free.

BTW - That ultimate practice lock that you used as an example? I bought the damn thing from the guy on eBay for $55.

My items are one off, they take a lot of time to measure & make, and not to mention the stress of having to get it right on the more expensive locks! Then there is the having to act really humble and appreciative to the person who is kind enough to let me have the run of his machine (yes that's right, I don't have my own machine) in his busy engineering workshop when he didn't have to. I'm not a huge corporation, I'm not earning millions, I'm just offering otherwise inacessible items to people who desire them just as I do..... this is why I started making them, because you simply can't buy them..... Oh wait, yes you can securitysnobs.com/Cutaway-Locks/ $450 dollars though xD

And you are also right about not setting a price..... started all at 99p. And to tell you the truth, I was worried about the £72 DLP Abloy incase it didnt live up to the expectations of a £72 purchase!!

But yeah, it is a bit lowering to have someone question the end product without even having a forethough for the work that is actually involved for the fair price.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Ok everybody, let's move on.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:11 pm

(Homo)
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

frantic57744

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 am

Sale / practice the fact is they are just beatifully made.. One day i,ll own one cos they are just brilliant :D They would look good in any collection and i have a real appreciation of the engineering involved,, so plz stay around coz i enjoy looking at your creations. ooh yeah and those assa milk churn like keys pins boy are they a tough nut to crack :shock:
cheers
http://www.youtube.com/user/frantic57744

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:14 am

the lockpickkid wrote:(Homo)

To whom were you talking to?
<<

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:05 am

HallisChalmers wrote:

This should be intresting.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:05 am

HallisChalmers wrote:

Well, I certainly was not talking to you, it is just irritating to see somebody come up with a great idea and then have somebody bad mouth it, it happens every time, and unfortunately it usually leads to some great ideas from some members not being posted because they are tired of all the hackling, in turn I think there are members with great ideas, they we won't ever see, because they feel like they are not appreciated. please don't hit my dumbass with the ban-hammer!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

HiNtZ

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Don't worry, I'll continue to share with whatever I can in the future :D

I've literally just got here though & havn't had a chance to do much apart from selfishly promote my items :oops:

As for my current status, it is 'HOBBYIST' not 'HOBBIEST' :lol:
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:09 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

Well, I certainly was not talking to you, it is just irritating to see somebody come up with a great idea and then have somebody bad mouth it, it happens every time, and unfortunately it usually leads to some great ideas from some members not being posted because they are tired of all the hackling, in turn I think there are members with great ideas, they we won't ever see, because they feel like they are not appreciated. please don't hit my dumbass with the ban-hammer!

Ok, just please don't use a shotgun when you are trying to do precision shooting. Friendly fire is a bitch.
:shock:
<<

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
the lockpickkid wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

Ok, just please don't use a shotgun when you are trying to do precision shooting. Friendly fire is a bitch.
:shock:

did you not read this guys signature?
there is your answer my friend
<<

RangerJ03

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:13 pm

Lockylew wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

This should be intresting.

Haha I was thing that same thing last night.
This place wouldn't be the same with out a little criticism. Hell I just got hammered by GutterClown on how bad my windows paint pictures were.
It's like jalapeno Jelly, At first you think it's going to hot and suck. Then you try it and your like not bad it's kinda good.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Lockylew wrote:

I read it Lew, but I didn't know if Lockpick Kid was shotgunning or sniping directly at me...but it was just an unintentional failure to communicate on his part...we're cool...but I gotta admit, I admire his philosophy about shooting first - and then asking questions.

Personally, I prefer to just shoot them in the back and not even bother questioning them.

They probably would have lied to me anyway - so why listen to the whining and groveling?

But hey, that's just me - Mr. Pacifiist UN Negotiator. That's the way this fat boy rolls.
:twisted:
<<

HiNtZ

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:28 am

HallisChalmers wrote:
Lockylew wrote:

That's the way this fat boy rolls. :twisted:

That made me laugh by literally thinking of a fat boy rolling (on a slight slope) :lol:
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:40 am

HiNtZ wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:
Lockylew wrote:

That made me laugh by literally thinking of a fat boy rolling (on a slight slope) :lol:

...and gradually getting bigger as he snowballs down the slope? Sick, man...sick.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:42 am

HiNtZ wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:
Lockylew wrote:

...and gradually getting bigger as he snowballs down the slope? Sick, man...sick.
PreviousNext

Return to Buy, Sell & Trade