FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

WTB Best WK Key Blanks and/or Cores

<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Fri May 06, 2016 7:00 am

Re: WTB Best WK Key Blanks and/or Cores

I dunno riy. Guy didn't even get a quote from best cause he knew he wasn't gonna order 50 cores plus how ever many boxes of blanks the minimum was.

It would be at the very least 25$ per core plus the keys, etc...
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 am

Jess contacted Stanley (parent company of Best) and was told they had stopped production 8 years or so ago. One of the guys above told me that he thinks they never went into production in the first place.

Still looking.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri May 06, 2016 11:24 am

Jess? I think you mean Jeff...lol
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 am

I just want to stick my pick in one. ;)
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri May 06, 2016 1:25 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Jess? I think you mean Jeff...lol

Don't know how that happened. Yes, Jeff... AKA Jess. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 06, 2016 5:07 pm

If you can find a picture of the keyway you could try keys forge. It's a bit picky but can work well if the source is good.

Check it out. Prolly a good resource for everyone.

Keysforge.com
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri May 06, 2016 5:14 pm

WestCoastPicks wrote:If you can find a picture of the keyway you could try keys forge. It's a bit picky but can work well if the source is good.

Check it out. Prolly a good resource for everyone.

Keysforge.com

List here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2u04ika5e09wgu8/bestkeys.pdf?dl=0
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 07, 2016 5:07 pm

I cropped out the WK keyway profile from that PDF, and ran it through the keysforge demo. It gave me what looked like a reasonable copy of what that key would look like.

wkkey.jpg

It can be smoothed out more like that little tit taken off the corner, but easy to do.

You can use a service like 3dhub and get it printed in metal. There are a few videos of people using brass 3d printed keys for years.
You wouldn't have to buy 50, you could buy only one if you want, though the more you get the less they cost.
They would definatly be less than $50 each, cause one of my slickpicks would be like $35. I've thought of getting one made of aluminum :)
I was also thinking of getting a few copies of those unknown corbin russwin locks keys.
Keysforge even have an option to enter a bitting code lol. You could print a bump key while you're at it.

I bet you could get a working copy made in brass for less than $35 If you print it in PLA (plastic) they don't last as long but still for months, your part cost could be down to $.02 each or less if you own the printer, less than a dollar each if you're paying someone on 3dhub. If you knew someone who can cad these kinds of things, and you ask nice, they might draw you up a core too. You could just print your own. Or.. Make your own keyways.. OMG so many Ideas. I need a 3d printer.
People do lost plastic casting with brass an 3d prints all the time at home... I need more time to do the things I want to do! Too many Ideas.

Edit: Ok I had a couple minutes. Here's what the core might look like. Nothing is to scale accept the keyway.

wkcore.jpg

This has given me so many ideas.. Maybe people would gofund me for a metal printer. lol Goal: Print all the things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 08, 2016 5:31 pm

Excellent work - and idea just to let you know Gordon I put a post up on the national locksmith - lets see
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun May 08, 2016 5:49 pm

Thank you, Ringo. :D

Gordon
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon May 09, 2016 2:56 pm

The national locksmiths - response

" There are no aftermarket best wk key blanks & likely to be special order from best PKS - premium key system "

no individual locksmith have replied - so far
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue May 10, 2016 7:32 pm

10ringo10 wrote:"There are no aftermarket best wk key blanks..."

I'm starting to believe that.

Arrow LISTS WK in their catalog, or at least did at one point, but after two years of trying to order them I was finally told they've never actually made any available for sale.

I realize for making the lock cores they'd need a series of progressive broaches made specifically for that keyway. An expensive investment in tooling.

I wonder though, for making blanks if they make a specific mill cutting bit for each side of each keyway, to allow them to cut each side in one pass to speed up the process, or if they have a combination of different "generic" cutter shapes, making several passes to cut out those deeper, more elaborate W-series blanks. Because if they have a special cutter for each side of each blank, then I suspect that Arrow has already made the mill bit for manufacturing the WK blanks. At a trade show I talked a rep out of one his tryout keyring that has one blank of each of the keyways, and an Arrow WK blank was on there. So at some point they did make some of them, but perhaps only for their sample rings. Maybe they perceive a lack of demand for them, so haven't done a proper production run yet.

The rep said he had several more of those keyrings of blanks at home in his garage, in a box of old sales sample he was tired of moving around. I told him I had some co-workers who would appreciate a set too (figuring I could pass them out to some folks on the forum here) so he had me email him with my address and said he'd mail them to me when he got back home, but I never heard back from him, so either he forgot about me or they found another home elsewhere.

Apart from not sending me those tryout rings, that Arrow rep has been an awesome guy. He has sent me a ton of samples, displays, counter mats and other swag over the years. Not exaggerating, I think I've received at least 15 or more boxes of stuff from the guy. I've had other reps give me some rather decent samples, swag and other materials, but no one has ever come close to the sheer volume of the Arrow rep. Saddens me a little bit as I carry (well... carried, since I'm not doing much locksmithing anymore) very few Arrow products.

WB is actually very close to WK though. That diagram of WK showing that it not only takes a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the pins, but even seems to move upward slightly, is a bit misleading. The angle of that topmost dogleg is pretty similar to WB. The main difference is the inward bump it makes towards the bottom, in an area you probably wouldn't be maneuvering a pick anyway.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed May 11, 2016 6:25 am

When I tried to order these a while back, my distributor rep was able to give me pricing, but when he put the order in to Stanley, they kicked it back saying they no longer make WK keyway.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
Previous

Return to Buy, Sell & Trade