FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

S&G Locks Wanted - 831A, 831B, 844, 8077, 8077AC

<<

LocksportSouth

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:51 pm

S&G Locks Wanted - 831A, 831B, 844, 8077, 8077AC

Hi all!

I'm on the lookout for the following Sargent and Greenleaf locks:

831A
831B*
8077**
8077AC

* I need specifically the 831B, NOT the 831B-M-1, which I already have. You can tell at a glance which you have - the 'B' has a chain loop on the side, the 'B-M-1' does not.
** Note that I literally mean just the plain 8077 - not the 8077A or any other following letters. The back will be stamped with just "8077" on its own line.

Obviously I may not be able to buy all of these at once so if several people are able to supply one or more of these I may need to prioritise :D. However these are the S&G locks that I currently need. I currently have a package waiting to be sent to me from the US so, if acceptable to all parties involved, I will have you forward the lock to that (very reliable) US-based member rather than shipping Internationally to me. This also means I'd like to conclude any sales within the next week or two ideally :).

In an ideal world, it would be great if the locks came with the following:

Key locks:
* Original box
* Three original Medeco keys (two Operators and one control)
* Code card / tag
* Be in good condition with no rust and all parts intact

Combination locks:
* Original box
* Change key
* Working combination
* Be in good condition with no rust

However I'm aware that this is not an ideal world - let me know the condition of the lock(s) you have, what's supplied and what's not, preferably with photos of the lock in question along with how much you'd like for the given lock(s) and I'll get back to you asap :).

Thanks again for reading!

P.s. While I don't yet have any feedback here on the site, I can direct you to my eBay feedback and at least two members who have sold to me and (hopefully!) will vouch for me if needed :).
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Re: S&G Locks Wanted - 831A, 831B, 844, 8077, 8077AC

I can vouch heartily for LocksportSouth, as have dealt with him numerous times. Quite reliable.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:47 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:I can vouch heartily for LocksportSouth, as have dealt with him numerous times. Quite reliable.

Gordon

Thank you, Gordon :). I appreciate it! ^_^
<<

Rubaga

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:26 am

Hi I spotted this on eBay in the US http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1884388546

I am looking for an 831b-M-1 if you ever come across one

Cheers
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:45 pm

Rubaga wrote:Hi I spotted this on eBay in the US http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1884388546

I am looking for an 831b-M-1 if you ever come across one

Cheers

Thanks for the headsup :). I've been watching that one for a while but it always says that the seller is away and I can't buy it right now. On his store page it says that he's converting everything over to a live auction site so I assume he'll never sell this lock on eBay sadly :(. I might pop him a message though if the site allows it.

I did know about a B-M-1 auction very recently, here in the UK in fact but I've just checked and they're gone now :(. I'll let you know if I ever stumble across another one though! Thanks again :)

Is there really no-one else who can sell me any of these locks? :(
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:56 pm

LocksportSouth wrote:Is there really no-one else who can sell me any of these locks? :(

With the type of locks you're looking for you just have to be patient. It's not like a vendor can just place an order from the warehouse for some spares. Some are in collector's hands, some in antique shops, some in people's garages who don't know what they have. Over time, they slowly filter into the lock collector market. As collectors pick up something new, they might be willing to let something else go that's a little rougher than the new one. Or if money is tight, they may thin things out & sell part of the collection. You just need to have cash on hand, and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunities arise.

It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Just for example, I have some of what you're looking for but I'm not in any hurry to sell them. I might someday, given the right circumstances. I just hadn't replied before now because I don't have the urge to sell any of them, at least not right now. I doubt I'm the only one in those shoes. If you keep your eyes out, I have very little doubt you'll eventually be able to find what you want.

Sorry if this comes across as obvious advice but I figured I'd mention it since you seemed to be getting discouraged.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:35 pm

MBI wrote:
LocksportSouth wrote:Is there really no-one else who can sell me any of these locks? :(

With the type of locks you're looking for you just have to be patient. It's not like a vendor can just place an order from the warehouse for some spares. Some are in collector's hands, some in antique shops, some in people's garages who don't know what they have. Over time, they slowly filter into the lock collector market. As collectors pick up something new, they might be willing to let something else go that's a little rougher than the new one. Or if money is tight, they may thin things out & sell part of the collection. You just need to have cash on hand, and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunities arise.

It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Just for example, I have some of what you're looking for but I'm not in any hurry to sell them. I might someday, given the right circumstances. I just hadn't replied before now because I don't have the urge to sell any of them, at least not right now. I doubt I'm the only one in those shoes. If you keep your eyes out, I have very little doubt you'll eventually be able to find what you want.

Sorry if this comes across as obvious advice but I figured I'd mention it since you seemed to be getting discouraged.

That's fair enough. I just recall that I spoke to someone on this forum before who suggested that many people might have X lock that they aren't bothered about keeping, and wouldn't necessarily make a "to sell" post for it, so it's always worth making a WTB thread to attract the people who may be happy to sell, but not in any rush to.

I'm not in any huge rush - just that I'm getting a US shipment sent over soon so I figured it'd be easiest to bundle it all together if anyone was happy to sell. And I figured that since I had a few locks that I wanted, that someone would have at least one of them, so I was hoping to pick up at least one other lock before I shipped out, and that last post was kinda a last bump anyway.

Ah well - as you say, a marathon, not a sprint :). I should find something I *can* buy to fill in holes in my lock board for now. I've seen a sudden glut of 826Cs on eBay recently so I know what you mean about certain locks suddenly randomly surfacing.

Thanks for the advice in any case. :)
<<

Rubaga

Post Tue May 10, 2016 10:14 am

I've spotted a S&G 831B but it's a bit of a challenge as it has no key... See http://www.ebay.com/itm/SARGENT-GREENLE ... SwInxXMUjl
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Tue May 10, 2016 2:23 pm

Rubaga wrote:I've spotted a S&G 831B but it's a bit of a challenge as it has no key... See http://www.ebay.com/itm/SARGENT-GREENLE ... SwInxXMUjl

Yeah, I saw that one and was just about to throw a bid on when I realised it has no key :(. I'd have no luck picking it and even if I did, I still wouldn't be able to get a key.

That said, I do have a spare 833 core. I wonder if it will fit, or can be modified for, the 831? I vaguely remember reading a post somewhere where one Medeco core for S&G locks could be filed down to fit another but I can't remember the two models at stake there. In any case getting it open would be the main problem.

I do have my eye on it though - and thank you for keeping your eyes out, I really appreciate it :)
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Wed May 11, 2016 8:34 am

Interesting development, it seems the lock has been updated to say that the key is broken off in the lock, and you can see it in the photos also.

I wonder if there would be enough key to operate the lock? Surely not, otherwise it wouldn't have snapped off, right? But also if it's the correct key, pushing it to the end should lead to a few less pins to pick, closer to the keyway... On the other hand, it might be the wrong key, or the right key but for some reason the cylinder has seized and won't turn correctly even with the right key, and thus couldn't be picked open either?

Just a few thoughts... Does anyone have any input on this? Or does anyone know if you can get aftermarket 831 cores or modify an 833 core to fit?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed May 11, 2016 9:35 am

You can modify 833 cores to fit, it just needs a bit of filing to work. Gordon made a post on it some time ago.

And after some digging.... http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8472&p=75420&hilit=file+833#p75420
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Thu May 12, 2016 1:44 am

Riyame wrote:You can modify 833 cores to fit, it just needs a bit of filing to work. Gordon made a post on it some time ago.

And after some digging.... http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8472&p=75420&hilit=file+833#p75420

Ahh thanks! I knew I'd seen something about modifying the cores for these locks one way or the other but didn't have any luck finding it. I *did* find one post but it had no pics. Thanks for the link! I assume the 831 uses the same core style as the 826? That'd make sense since they both seem to use the same assembly method vs. the 833 and 951.

Edit: Just checked my 831 B-M-1 pics and it does look like the same core. I may disassemble my 833 and BM1 and check for any slight differences.

Edit 2: Just stripped down my 826, 831 and 833 to compare them. If anyone is interested, I'll attach the photos to this post. In summary the 826 and 831 are more of less identical (the rounded divot on the front of the keyway seems a bit deeper on the 826?), whereas the 831 is in teflon military green as opposed to brass, the rear actuator is mostly round as opposed to the 831/826's being filed right down to the rectangular bar in the middle (the 831 does have a small squared-off cutout in the side though, where the rear actuator ring sits) - that's all as described in the other post.

The front of the cylinder is also filed off slightly square on one edge on the 833 to accommodate the drill protection plate at the front of the lock, which is absent on the 826 and 831 cylinder. Also, it may be a trick of the light but on the rear of the cylinders, the rounded cutout where the nub in the actuator ring/actuator bar fits seems a little bigger on the 826/831 cores? But that may not be the case; I have no accurate way to measure them.

Basically - as you said :). 826 and 831 should be interchangeable. Just wanted to stick the details and pics here in case anyone else is interested. Let me know if I should most this out and into my personal locks thread instead; I don't want to get too off topic.

Pics:

-----------------------

By the way, just so you know, I think the forum emails have stopped working again as I was receiving them before but haven't received any for the last couple of days for replies to this post or PMs.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu May 12, 2016 3:17 am

LocksportSouth wrote:
Riyame wrote:You can modify 833 cores to fit, it just needs a bit of filing to work. Gordon made a post on it some time ago.

Ahh thanks! I knew I'd seen something about modifying the cores for these locks one way or the other but didn't have any luck finding it. I *did* find one post but it had no pics. Thanks for the link! I assume the 831 uses the same core style as the 826? That'd make sense since they both seem to use the same assembly method vs. the 833 and 951.

Edit: Just checked my 831 B-M-1 pics and it does look like the same core. I may disassemble my 833 and BM1 and check for any slight differences.

Edit 2: Just stripped down my 826, 831 and 833 to compare them. If anyone is interested, I'll attach the photos to this post. In summary the 826 and 831 are more of less identical (the rounded divot on the front of the keyway seems a bit deeper on the 826?), whereas the 831 is in teflon military green as opposed to brass, the rear actuator is mostly round as opposed to the 831/826's being filed right down to the rectangular bar in the middle (the 831 does have a small squared-off cutout in the side though, where the rear actuator ring sits) - that's all as described in the other post.

The front of the cylinder is also filed off slightly square on one edge on the 833 to accommodate the drill protection plate at the front of the lock, which is absent on the 826 and 831 cylinder. Also, it may be a trick of the light but on the rear of the cylinders, the rounded cutout where the nub in the actuator ring/actuator bar fits seems a little bigger on the 826/831 cores? But that may not be the case; I have no accurate way to measure them.

Basically - as you said :). 826 and 831 should be interchangeable. Just wanted to stick the details and pics here in case anyone else is interested. Let me know if I should most this out and into my personal locks thread instead; I don't want to get too off topic.

Pics:
-----------------------

By the way, just so you know, I think the forum emails have stopped working again as I was receiving them before but haven't received any for the last couple of days for replies to this post or PMs.

The divot in the keyway being deeper is just manufacturing tolerances. 826/831/Hi Shear cores are all the same although the control key on the hi shear is different. 833 and 951 cores are slightly different from each other as well.

whereas the 831 is in teflon military green
I think you mean 833 is teflon coated.

And yes, the notification system is down, it is being worked on.

<<

LocksportSouth

Post Thu May 12, 2016 6:40 am

Riyame wrote:
The divot in the keyway being deeper is just manufacturing tolerances. 826/831/Hi Shear cores are all the same although the control key on the hi shear is different. 833 and 951 cores are slightly different from each other as well.

Ahh ok, makes sense. I noticed that the Hi-shear was a bit different (with the cut into the shaft of the control key rather than a sticky-out nub being flattened off) - I guess that's to do with the way the cylinder blocking operates?

Riyame wrote:I think you mean 833 is teflon coated.
And yes, the notification system is down, it is being worked on.

Yeah, my words went weird, lol. Teflon coated, green colour core which signifies that it's the military version is what I meant :).
And ah ok, was just checking whether you knew about it :).
<<

Riyame

Post Thu May 12, 2016 11:23 pm

Yup, I have had them all before lol. I was heavily into S&G for a while :P

Yes, the Hi Shear has more material blocking the bottom of the key. Not sure why they went that way instead of the S&G way of doing things.

Next

Return to Buy, Sell & Trade