FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Looking for a GOOD disc deatainer pick

<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Looking for a GOOD disc deatainer pick

i bought a couple of these chinese picks but even after modding the hell outta them i can seem to pop this abus ive been battling all day. does anyone know of a vendor who sells quality disc picks?
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

houdini1

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:51 pm

Re: Looking for a GOOD disc deatainer pick

Safe venture tools
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:56 pm

What Abus is it?
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:04 pm

If you're trying to pop a Abus Granit series disc detainer lock, or any of the Abus Plus cylinders, with a cheap Chinese detainer pick, you're using the wrong tool, sir.

I have a spare Abus Granit pick, if you're interested. PM me, if that's what you're looking for.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:27 pm

thanks guys, for all the replies.

its an abus 88/40..im getting close though, might not need a new tool afterall.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

escher7

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:11 pm

The problem with the Chinese style picks is the absence of graduations indicating depth, making them essential totally skill dependant. Lockwicki shows one design which is an improvement as are the purpose built Abus, Abloy picks, as they do indicate depth. But at the end of the day skill counts for a lot with all designs.

http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Disc_detainer
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:33 pm

And of course the version of the lock assuming you have the right tool for it !

Top tension placement, bottom tension, variable tension, anti-tension discs ...........

All of the above will effect the tool you can use and whether or not you can pick it at all.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:47 pm

So I think it is an Abus Plus mech in there.

As such you will have difficulty picking it open. It is possible though. I do not have one but I am guessing that it needs top tension (so the disc deepest intro the lock) but might also pick tensioning any disc. The disc you use to tension will have to be set last (presuming it is not a 0 cut) and the tension to pick it will have to come from the pick head on a 0 cut...if that makes sense?
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:10 pm

huxleypig wrote:So I think it is an Abus Plus mech in there.

As such you will have difficulty picking it open. It is possible though. I do not have one but I am guessing that it needs top tension (so the disc deepest intro the lock) but might also pick tensioning any disc. The disc you use to tension will have to be set last (presuming it is not a 0 cut) and the tension to pick it will have to come from the pick head on a 0 cut...if that makes sense?

that does make sense. im going to give that a try after remodifying these tools again.

whats most frustrating is ill seem to have 4 or 5 discs set and then i get no feedback from the remaining discs. so ill reset and zero everything out but then i get no feedback from any of the discs at all. half the time im setting discs no problems, the other half i get no feedback whatsoever. and yeah it is and abus plus. i found a youtube video of some kid picking the same lock tensioning from the 1st disc so thats what ive been trying.

thanks for all the help guys. as frustrating as it is, itll feel great to get this thing open. i was popping chinese locks with ease and then this abus brought me back to reality

its not the depth of the discs thats making me lose my head on this lock its the complete randomness of the feedback im getting or not getting. but hey, if it was easy it wouldnt be any fun :)
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:49 pm

The Abus Plus (or the Granit as it was known) has gone through several re-incarnations. At first it was possible to pick them using the 0 cut at the front of the lock. The they changed it to have the 0 cut at the rear and now the 0 cut to drive the lock can be anywhere, and the front disc just spins, right? With this in mind you may as well tension using the front disc (well, the 2nd disc, the first one that doesn't just spin) and then find the 0 cut to swap tension to the pick head and pick the front disc last. Or at least that is my theory. I have to add that the general principle of using a non-zero front disc to still tension the lock was Solomon's idea, not mine.

I have a Granit and have picked that (I made my own tool but have since gotten the Chinese Abus pick and it works fine) but I do not have a newer one. I would like one. I was thinking maybe a 3 in 1 tool might work, so it did not matter where the 0 driver disc was, you could always have a permanent tension on it and still be able to pick in front and behind it.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:44 pm

thanks for the help HP. that all makes alot of sense now and explains most of whats been giving me trouble. i appreciate all the help, everyone.

Return to Uncommon Tools!