FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Interesting Chinese Lock tool

<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:32 am

Interesting Chinese Lock tool

Hey Guys,

I ran across this interesting tool, but I don't know what kind of lock it is used for/ how it works.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Re: Interesting Chinese Lock tool

No idea what the tool is,
I Do think it's a great marketing gimmick to include the free MP3 player.
:D
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:43 pm

I have seen this before and is looks really cool but God knows what it does or how it works!

There are a whole bunch of Eastern picks that I would love to meet the makers of...

If I had to guess I would go with lock specific pin tumbler pin and cam system.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Really curious about this. We could no doubt use a hi-res version of that instructions sheet and someone fluent in Chinese to fill us in. That would be very cool.

Why there's an audio amplifier in there is a wild one. Really wanna know.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

Josephus

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:38 pm

There are a number of features on the tool that don't have any obvious purpose. The protrusion on the right side. Why both screws and rivets? What is in the box? That copper colored piece held down with a screw near the back could be a copper plated spring, I can't think of anything else it could be. Anyway looking at the pictures there is a tab on the circle at the back of the tool that seems to move. In the upper right corner of the first image the circle is shown with some markings. The dark steel feeler moves and is probably depth controlled via the rod in the back with markings on it. I think it is some specific kind of dimple lock decoder.
<<

Froggy

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:58 am

I think it is pick for a kind of dimple lock working like the pin & cam decoder

fisrt you decode the pin by feeling the depth with the small pick then you add a small part of metal acting as a variable key

normally this tool comes with a card of some precut metal parts acting as "teeth" as far as remember after I saw it some years ago

the listener is to help you to hear some cliks when you are on the shear line

decoding the lock then adding the small metal parts then you get a working "key"

my two cents
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:52 am

It is for the locks with the keyway shown in this video : http://youtu.be/t6fI_ajKXtw

As already suggested, the tool is a hybrid of a pick tool & a makeup key.

Unfortunately all the pictures are now missing, but the same tool was discussed here : https://blackbag.toool.nl/?p=248
A lot of these locks are made of brass, which means the magnetic microphone won't stick to the lock, but the microphone really isn't necessary anyway.

Hope that helps,

...Mark
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for the great info! I am happy to finally have an idea about how it works!

A very interesting tool indeed!
<<

huxleypig

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:56 am

It's for THOSE?? Wow, they suck, surely this tool is not for those?
<<

C locked

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:58 am

as already said, its a pick/make up key decoding tool

looks to be a copy of a falle design
the rest of what i was going to say is exactly what froggy said

i would like to add however that
i believe that it is designed for this key

unless i'm much mistaken, because the "smiley" lock in the video looks too rounded on the bottom
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 am

C locked wrote:i would like to add however that

unless i'm much mistaken, because the "smiley" lock in the video looks too rounded on the bottom

It cannot be for that Fichet lock or one like it, the pick only interfaces with a single bitting surface & that key has two. It would also be impossible to use it to create a makeup key for that lock, for the same reason.

It is definitely for the 'smiley' lock, I've seen one in action. One blade of the pick fits down the left side of the keyway & the feeler aligns with the pins in the middle of the keyway.

...Mark
<<

huxleypig

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:55 am

That wonderful Fichet has 4 bitting surfaces.

I am gutted that tool was made for such a crappy lock.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:28 pm

mercurial wrote:

It cannot be for that Fichet lock or one like it, the pick only interfaces with a single bitting surface & that key has two. It would also be impossible to use it to create a makeup key for that lock, for the same reason.

It is definitely for the 'smiley' lock, I've seen one in action. One blade of the pick fits down the left side of the keyway & the feeler aligns with the pins in the middle of the keyway.

...Mark

This is a key for a Fichet 484s. One detail is missing - It's got the color coded button missing from the bow.

Totally agree that this tool is not for the 484. As Hux says, it has 4 bitting surfaces.

Here's the 484s in my collection:

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:36 am

OOPS!

I noticed a typo in my previous post in this thread (I wrote 'left' instead of 'right'), tried to fix it & ended up making this extra post by mistake. If a mod can delete this post, that would be good, it serves no purpose!

mercurial wrote:

It is definitely for the 'smiley' lock, I've seen one in action. One blade of the pick fits down the right side of the keyway & the feeler aligns with the pins in the middle of the keyway.

...Mark
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:00 am

mercurial wrote:OOPS!

I noticed a typo in my previous post in this thread (I wrote 'left' instead of 'right'), tried to fix it & ended up making this extra post by mistake. If a mod can delete this post, that would be good, it serves no purpose!

mercurial wrote:

It is definitely for the 'smiley' lock, I've seen one in action. One blade of the pick fits down the right side of the keyway & the feeler aligns with the pins in the middle of the keyway.

...Mark

Actually, that key has four bitting surfaces.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Uncommon Tools!