FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Computer mapped pick profiles.

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:31 am

Computer mapped pick profiles.

Here are 4 examples of opening tools with a pattern created using an algorithm to crunch through key paterns and generate patterns that hopefully recreate patterns that will open the most locks with the fewest tools.

computer picks.jpg

Click on the image to enlarge it.

Initial out of Paris France offers their Super Picks and Magic Keys .

Mark Bates MBA carries them.

The Magic Keys....
An exceptional set of “try-out” keys from France. These picks are extra thin to accommodate narrow keyways. There are 30 double-sided pick keys, giving a total of 60 different profiles. May be used with or without tension tools (not included). Add these affordable picking tools to your pick set today!

SUPER-PICK AND TENSION TOOL COMBO

The reason these are called "SUPER" is because there are 16 double-ended picks, which means you actually get 64 different "wave" configurations in a set! The computer designed "waves" are sharp and distinct, unlike other computer designed picks. They should be used like a key to lift the pins, applying light pressure with a tension tool, which is now included is this combo kit.

Kit is placed in a sturdy plastic accordian type container which holds all the picks and tension tool in a convenant place to keep in your service van.

HPC sells the well known computer picks

As per the catalog.......

Computer Generated Pick Set
No. COMP-1 The Computer Generated Pick Set contains 9 computer designed picks made of hardened
stainless steel and 2 tension tools made of tempered spring steel. The configurations of these picks were designed on a computer to conform to the greatest amount possible of 5 & 6-pin and disc tumbler curve configurations.
• Shirt Pocket Size (Closed): 4-5/8" x 6-1/2"
(11.75 x 16.5cm)
• Genuine Leather Case with Snap
• Contains 9 Picks and 2 Tension Tools
• Hardened Stainless Steel Picks
• Tempered Spring Steel Tension Tools

The Majestic High Tech Picks

As per the catalog

Hightech Pick Set 20 pieces

16 16 double-sided picks that cover many possible locking combinations through computer-calculated wave-shaped pick blades. When working with this pick set one pick has to fit! A pick set for users who want to open locks without training.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:21 am

Be Gentlle Please ... yoru writing a love letter

These have to be one of the most unusual set of instructions I have ever seen for a locksmith tool.

Hold your pick with fingers as light as if you were writing a love letter with a real feather pen, not an insult letter with a ball point

The instuctions are for the above mentioned Super Picks....

Instructions

An Exceptional Set Of "Try-Out" Keys.

Set contains:

"Super Picks"
16 double ended picks which means actually get 64 different "wave" configurations in a set. The computer designed "waves" are sharp and distinct, unlike other computer picks. They should be used like a key, applying light pressure with a tension tool (not included)

"Magic Keys"
30 double-sided pick keys, giving a total of 60 different profiles. These picks are extra tin to accommodate narrow keyways. May be used with or without tension tools (not included).

"SUPER PICKS" and "MAGIC KEYS”-Operating Instructions - INITIAL patented design

WARNING! These tools are different.

The set of 16 double headed reversible Super Picks offers 64 different "wave" patterns and the set of 30 reversible Magic Keys, another 60 different patterns. The design of these waves is based on the "spacings and depths" for 5 and 6 pin tumbler locks from then 200 most popular manufacturers around the world.

Opening locks with these tools is different from conventional picking. The aim is not to hang the pins on the shear line one by one but to line them up all at the same time, like the real key would do, having found in your set the right wave in the right position in the key way.

Tune Your Torque!
A tension wrench is indispensable. Use your favourite, anyone will do, but learn to exert much lighter torque than in conventional picking. Your torque must be light enough to let the pins "surf on the wave" without hanging, and just strong enough to start rotation of the plug when all pins will line up.

Be Gentle (Please!)
Hold your pick with fingers as light as if you were writing a love letter with a real feather pen, not an insult letter with a ball point. Never use force or leverage to move pins. Just let them ride the wave as you move your pick up and down, in and out, scanning all possible angles. Each minute displacement of your pick generates a new combination. Remember that you are not picking, only looking for the right combination, hidden somewhere in your set.

Trying one pick takes about 5 seconds. If you are (very) lucky you may open on your first trial. If you are (very) unlucky, on your 64th, but with practice it should take at the most little more than 5 minutes.

If you have failed at the end of all trials, try again. Your torque may have been too strong, hanging one or more pins just when the right wave was at the right place... 0r you may not have tried all waves in all possible positions, may be even "jumping" one... So... make sure you set aside the picks you have tried, or you might keep trying the same ones over and over.

Because they are narrower, the Super Picks can enter more key ways than the Magic Keys. But Magic Keys give excellent results on automobile locks with active cuts on both sides of the key.

Once you have refined your touch with these picks, you will find them of great help on locks using spooled or mushroom pins. These "anti-pick" pins effect is inoperant as all pins get lined up by the correct wave, simulating the real key.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 am

Re: Computer mapped pick profiles.

Hi abroxis,

I have all four sets and I think the two Initial sets (Super Picks and Magic Picks) are the best of the four, though they are prone to corrosion. I haven't used these in a long time but I was able to open many locks with these two sets. The one set I was never able to get any success with is the HPC set; the tools seemed too large.

Regarding the two Initial sets the needed motion is a little tricy. You need to apply light tension just as if you were raking then you move the pick in a circular motion, i.e. you trace a circle around the face of the lock. You flip the tool over and try the same with the other side. If anyone will find this useful then I could re-learn the technique and upload a a video to YouTube.

The problem I find with these tools is that you get no satisfaction from opening the lock. All you do is go throug each of the picks (and their sides) and try them until the lock opens. Then you just memorise or note which lock opened with which pick and that's it. So they don't have much appeal to the lock hobbyist except insofar as the broaden one's knowledge.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:06 pm

piotr wrote:Hi abroxis,

I have all four sets and I think the two Initial sets (Super Picks and Magic Picks) are the best of the four, though they are prone to corrosion.

Have you tried oiling them or keeping them in an oil rag?
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:24 am

aka.decoy wrote:
piotr wrote:Hi abroxis,

I have all four sets and I think the two Initial sets (Super Picks and Magic Picks) are the best of the four, though they are prone to corrosion.

Have you tried oiling them or keeping them in an oil rag?

I did try oiling them but then they become messy to handle. I've let them develop some rust and it appears to be stable:

<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:47 am

I see. What about one of those rust converters (Not rust remover!!!! big difference) that convert surface rust to a hard, sandable black surface?
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:35 am

aka.decoy wrote:I see. What about one of those rust converters (Not rust remover!!!! big difference) that convert surface rust to a hard, sandable black surface?

That I haven't tried -- thanks for the suggestion. I am embarassed to write that when I first got them (and they arrived rusty) I did hit them with rust remover and I did notice that I was actually losing mass :oops: . Lesson learnt.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:51 am

piotr wrote:
aka.decoy wrote:I see. What about one of those rust converters (Not rust remover!!!! big difference) that convert surface rust to a hard, sandable black surface?

That I haven't tried -- thanks for the suggestion. I am embarassed to write that when I first got them (and they arrived rusty) I did hit them with rust remover and I did notice that I was actually losing mass :oops: . Lesson learnt.

Lol. Don't worry, everyone's done stupid stuff...whether they'd like to admit it or not. You could msg. me once a week and I could tell you about something stupid I did. The trick is to not do it twice =)

-Ron Burgundy
<<

popded

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi!
My set of majestics is brilliant: even though it was largely because of luck, the first shot I gave them on a euro cylinder picked it so fast I thought it was broken or something! I've written numbers on them to keep me from trying the same one a second time.
Where can one get the "Initial" picks? I haven't seen them on any supplier site...
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:17 pm

popded wrote:Hi!
My set of majestics is brilliant: even though it was largely because of luck, the first shot I gave them on a euro cylinder picked it so fast I thought it was broken or something! I've written numbers on them to keep me from trying the same one a second time.
Where can one get the "Initial" picks? I haven't seen them on any supplier site...

You can purchase them from MBA (mbausa.com) if you meet their prerequisites.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:10 am

I had limited success with the HPC set when they first came to market (35+ years ago ?) The best luck was with Weiser, which of course has a shear line akin to the Grand Canyon (lol). Anyway, I put them aside and pretty much forgot about them until this post. I'll have to take a look at them now and see if I still want to keep them in exile :cool: .
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

gibson

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:25 am

about carbon picks rusting - nosing around the web, on some of the knife forums they talk about forcing a 'patina' on a carbon steel knife blade to prevent it from rusting. it consists of putting the blade (or pick) into some sort of acidic medium, like an orange, or vinegar, or horseradish mustard. i just wonder if this would work on picks that are developing corrosion?
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:40 am

Computer "designed" picks, i doubt computers did more than a paint program,
technically these are picks because they line up the shear when the work and are used inside keyways and are not technically try out keys.

But this method of picking is not popular with people who truely know how to pick,

Its a gimmick for those who are confident that they have no talent for picking and want a tool that can work around that. Same people who are the market for the powertools like electropicks.
I suppose that when your hundred dollar battery operated pin spanker opens a lock its a real thrill.
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:14 pm

your hundred dollar battery operated pin spanker

That right there is some funny shit. It may never make Saturday Night Live but, here that is funny. :smile:
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein

Return to Uncommon Tools!