FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

HPC The Stamper

<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:43 am

HPC The Stamper

Here's an interesting tool I bought recently on ebay. I hadn't seen one before, so I thought I would share. I've done a little research, and it looks like HPC no longer sells this.

It came with quite a bit of surface rust.
The Stamper.png

Stamper base.png

Stamper wheel.png

So I disassembled it and soaked it in vinegar for several hours to remove the rust
Disassembled stamper.jpg

After allowing it to dry I oiled the moving parts with gun oil (the only oil I had available)
Oiling stamper.jpg

And reassembled...It's much easier to read with the rust removed
Dial on stamper.jpg

Stamper cleaned up.jpg

I didn't even need a hammer to stamp the keys, I just struck it with the palm of my hand and that was enough to make a good imprint
Keys stamped.jpg

(Yes I know I misspelled keypicking...my workbench wasn't bright enough to see the letters well)

Here's a link to my demo of the tool
https://youtu.be/z_d5jVp4JFQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DIY Dave on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:49 am

Re: HPC The Stamper

Pretty neat tool there Dave.
Did you get a decent deal on it?
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:05 am

I paid $100 which isn't a steal, but I thought it was reasonable compared to a decent set of letter stamps and number stamps
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:28 pm

that is a good deal. what they sell now is the letter & number stamps and a holder that makes it centered and straight with multiple rows, the whole setup is over 200$
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:50 pm

DIY Dave wrote:I paid $100 which isn't a steal, but I thought it was reasonable compared to a decent set of letter stamps and number stamps

Yup, I have watched a few of these sell on ebay and they always hit right around the $100 mark. Congrats on the new toy.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:43 pm

My college has an HPC stamper in their lock shop but they use a Denison multipress to actuate the stamper. Makes key stamping very fast!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:43 pm

macgng wrote:that is a good deal. what they sell now is the letter & number stamps and a holder that makes it centered and straight with multiple rows, the whole setup is over 200$

I've used their new setup with the stamp aligner and its kind of a joke. Its quicker and just as easy to stamp it by hand
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:50 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:My college has an HPC stamper in their lock shop but they use a Denison multipress to actuate the stamper. Makes key stamping very fast!

I wasn't quite sure how it was supposed to be actuated, so I tried a dead blow hammer, but it worked just as well with a nice strike from my hand
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:50 pm

DIY Dave wrote:
macgng wrote:that is a good deal. what they sell now is the letter & number stamps and a holder that makes it centered and straight with multiple rows, the whole setup is over 200$

I've used their new setup with the stamp aligner and its kind of a joke. Its quicker and just as easy to stamp it by hand

I have the stamp aligner as well, I agree it's utter crap. My old shop had a lever-actuated Numberall machine. Line up the number wheels, one pull, done. Great for sequential keys on large systems.
<<

jacobbiljo

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:41 am

You could probably cover all the stamped letters with red paint marker and then run a razor blade across the top to leave all the paint in the depressions and off the surface. Giving you much more visible lettering so light isn't such an issue.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Dave, could you please make a video of the stamper in use?
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:21 pm

dmasters wrote:My old shop had a lever-actuated Numberall machine. Line up the number wheels, one pull, done. Great for sequential keys on large systems.

There is a Numberall machine I wanted for years but couldn't quite justify the cost to myself.
Now that I'm not really doing much locksmithing anymore I'm definitely never going to get one, but they sure do make nice gear.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:04 pm

MBI wrote:
dmasters wrote:My old shop had a lever-actuated Numberall machine. Line up the number wheels, one pull, done. Great for sequential keys on large systems.

There is a Numberall machine I wanted for years but couldn't quite justify the cost to myself.
Now that I'm not really doing much locksmithing anymore I'm definitely never going to get one, but they sure do make nice gear.

They are very pricey, even used. The shop I work at has one they paid over a grand for and it's still just a hand punch with just 5 digits of letters and numbers. It really only gets used when we are stamping keys in bulk, like with new key systems.

I'd hate to know how much a lever operated one costs (but it would be nice to use)

Jeffmoss, I'll try to get a video made later this week.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:30 am

I've added a video demo of The Stamper tool
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks for the video Dave. If I ever make it back to my college's lock shop (I graduated 5 years ago) I will try to get a picture of their setup.

Return to Uncommon Tools!