FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help – I can’t stop !!!

<<

Neilau

Post Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:24 pm

Help – I can’t stop !!!

Actually it’s all OK, I have learned to live with it. :D

Here is the set so far, with just two more in the pipeline.

A couple of them are older picks with nice tips that I have put better handles on.

The advantage of using tape and heatshrink first is that you can test out the pick and if it functions well you can cut off the tape and put on a decent handle.

The only problem is, that I will now have to make a case that I can fit them all in but as I don’t take them off the premise, that’s not too urgent.

The bottom Bogota style pick started off with a three and a four hump. The four hump didn't work very well so I ground of the last hump and now it works a treat. --- Subject of a future question, regarding humps.

p 1.jpg

p 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: Help – I can’t stop !!!

They look excellent, great work!

The handles look very comfortable, too.

...Mark
<<

Svenito

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:33 pm

These do look great! May I ask how the handles are affixed? I can see a pin on one of the picks, but not on the others. Are they simply glued on?
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi Svenito.

Thanks for the complement.

Actually all the handles are glued on using Araldite Super strength epoxy. Takes three days to fully set.

I rough up the handles with a cutting wheel on a Dremel, clean them with metho then clamp the blocks on for a couple of days.

When the glue is set, I use an upside down belt sander. finish off with very fine emery paper.

I was going to pin them but on the first one the holes weren’t straight so I just plugged them with plastic circles that I made with a hole punch. Looks good and I still might do that to the others. The plastic plugs don't go all the way through.

I've been using the first ones I made for a couple of months now and I don't think the handles are going anywhere.

I believe that Nozza glues his handles also. He said that the pins are only for show. The glue is more that adequate.

Also, thanks for the complement mercurial.

The next one is going to be a single carry pick with a Bogota style on one end and a short hook on the other as those two seem to be the only two picks that I use now.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

Svenito

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:51 pm

I didn't mean that the glue won't hold when I said 'simply', it was more of a matter of simplicity. Epoxy is strong stuff. It's holding the rear light on my car together :)

Great work though and many thanks for the detailed explanation on how you make them.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Holy hell you've been busy, lol. Great work. Really nice stuff. You putting this one together for yourself?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:36 am

Oldfast wrote:Holy hell you've been busy, lol. Great work. Really nice stuff. You putting this one together for yourself?

Yes. This is my main set. Really easy on "the old arthritic hands" :D

Notice, they are nearly all hooks ...... now.

Thanks for all the encouragement. :hbg:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

scudo

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Thats a lovely collection of picks you made. I just recently put on some rubber `handles` that came with a Southord set, I hadnt bothered before, but what a difference it makes so much more comfortable.
Cant wait to see the case :-) Get busy sir!
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Very nice Neilau. They look like they'd be comfortable to use. You've motivated me to get cracking and give it a shot over the holidays as I'll have some time on my hands to dig out the tools.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing more in the future.

P.S. I think I nice custom display case would compliment your picks nicely.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks guys for all the kind words.

As for a case/display, I’m thinking more of going with a roll up.

While the picks look nice and are very comfortable to use I don’t think they warrant a display case.

Perhaps, if I ever produce works of art, pick wise, to the standard of Violator, I would definitely build a display case for them (and exhibit them at the Smithsonian !!!) but for the moment I’m afraid that a roll up will have to do for a start.

PS. For newer members who are not familiar with Violators work. Find one of his posts and follow the link to his pictures and you will see what I mean.

Thanks again.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

Return to Home Brew