FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Number two - getting better

<<

Neilau

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Number two - getting better

Second effort. Getting better.

pick 1.jpg

pick 2.jpg

pick 3.jpg

The pick was all ground out by hand on a small bench grinder and the tip finished with a hand held Eazy-Lap fine diamond hone.

I made the tip flat as my last one was a Gem shape. I was going to make a half diamond but a gem tip is really a half, half diamond.

The handle wood is from an old, dead “Red Box” tree in a nearby paddock that was recently felled and milled. It is a beautiful red colour.

I kept the handle fairly thick as I have found that it is easier on my old hands. :D It would be no problem to thin it out.

I was going to pin it but not having a drill press the holes did not come through straight so I decided to put in little “ivory” plugs - only joking – I punched them out of a piece of plastic from an electric switch with a leather hole pinch and pushed them in. I was thinking of using the plastic to make the handle but it didn't work out.

plug.jpg

It was hard to get a picture of the colour and striping of the wood so I included the pic. on the green background I need a better camera or learn to get the settings right on the one I have.

Over all, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Next one will be better still !! Probably a Bogota style.

BTW. I haven’t seen any picks of this design. I’m sure there are, as nothing is really new. If anyone has seen one could you point me to it? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Number two - getting better

It is looking better. But will say that when I read the thread title, thought you had started taking Medemucil or some laxitive. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:39 pm

Gordon.

Why am I not surprised.

What happens when I get to Number 3 ?? :mrgreen:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 am

Ha! Leave it to Gordon. lol

Neilau, you've really paid your dues in time when it comes to pick making.
It's been a pleasure to be along for the ride and watch your progression.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:27 am

Sorry, Not a bump.

Some additional info.

Thanks for the encouragement OF.

Initially I concentrated on the working ends but looking at some of the beautiful picks made by the people here I decided to put a bit more effort into the whole process.

I have made a lot of sets that work very well but making picks is addictive and I can’t stop making them :D So I just have to make them look better.

I have a very complete set of commercial picks, augmented with a few home brews that work exceptionally well but I made these latest picks with the emphasis on comfort of use.

I mainly play with pad locks and have developed a HUGH callous on the top of my middle finger (spools !!!). So, since I won’t be taking these picks out of the house I went with fat handles for the comfort factor.

Some tips for beginners ( I don’t consider myself an expert but I’ve picked up a few tricks over the years). You don’t need a lot of specialized tools – it helps but is not necessary to make functioning picks.

You can grind out pretty good hooks and half diamonds on a bench grinder. Most bench grinders that aren’t constantly dressed develop a rounded edge. This is just about a perfect inside radius for a hook. Very carefully, LIGHTLY grind on the side of the wheel to shape the leading edge of the hook.

Go slowly and check often. A light white background near the grinder is a great help in checking the shape. Keep the piece cool with constant dipping. Hold it in your hand – that will tell you when it is getting too hot.

For making a half diamond, first grind the forward slope then grind out the rear of the tip. Start with a fairly high peak. To reduce the height of the peak, grind the leading edge back towards the handle till you get to the size that you are after.

Another trick, if you are using shims or saw blades is to use the hole in the end as the inner edge of a hook. Grind down to the level of the bottom of the hole then shape the front.

A small, hand held Easy Lap is a great tool for final shaping of the tip as is a fine sharpening stone.

Quick and comfortable handles can be made from some tape covered with heat shrink.

A Dremel tool with a chain saw sharpening grinder tip is also a very useful tool for final shaping.

Just my two cents worth and hopefully will help people who are just starting to make picks.

Just beware – a very addictive hobby.

Thanks.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Good stuff there Neilau. Should help cut the learning curve for people wanting to give it a try.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Home Brew