FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hook tips.

<<

Neilau

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Hook tips.

Hi people.

Could any of the fine pickers and pick makers comment in the type of tip that they prefer on their hooks and why.

Here are the 5 most common tips that I have come across – excuse the rough drawing, not one of my talents.

I have made numerous hooks and the tip that I tend to use the most is A.

I realize that some tips like D are useful for certain types of pins and if you put a indention in it it helps to feel the pins better when you are starting out.

So, to repeat myself, my question is, what type of tip do you prefer on your hooks and why.

Thanks.

tips.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

ForSquirel

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Hook tips.

Still being fairly new, ~4 months, I haven't used a lot. I have used 2 southord hooks similar to B. I've also made some homebrew similar to D. Most recently I've made a homebrew similar to A but angled a little more forward. I don't know why, but it's pretty much the only thing I use now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Violaetor

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Like any other pick they all have a purpose and may fit a lock or application better than the other. I prefer rounded or gem style for ease of movement in the lock and amongst the pins. Pick 'F' or the indented or cupped pick is good for the medeco bi-axial pins, not just for 'beginner feels'.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:01 pm

I would have to go with a cupped hook. why? Out of all my picks its my go to pick, I get the best feedback and I feel like I have more control when setting pins with it.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:44 pm

For pin tumbler locks "A" Or "C" but anytime I've tried to make a pick look like "C" it ends up being an "A".
For wafer locks "B" or "D" if it's flat on the top.

Why "A" for pin tumbler? It can set a shallower pin directly behind a deeper one, more so than any other design. The point of the pick can be twisted left/right to slip past the point of a deeper pin, without having to disturb it as much as a "B" pick would if the "B" pick was as tall as the "A" pick.

The "A" is harder to use at first, I'm not sure if I would recommend it to a beginner. Probably start with "D" or "B". Like anything it's practice practice practice. I didn't have or even think about an "A" style pick until after I was Assa's.. I know, weird!?

For a wafer lock, none of the benefits that I just listed apply.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:39 pm

As Farmerfreak said, using "A" aka the "Gem" style is a different style of lifting. You will find that it likes to sit infront of the pin you are targetting and you will need to pull it towards you as you lift, almost lifting towards you at a 45 degree incline. If you use one you'll see what I mean.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Jammed lock

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:02 am

I prefer a small rounded hook for most spp, however they all have there place in the arsenal, I even cue scales up versions of some picks from time to time.

Return to Home Brew