FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My own pen style pocket pick set.

Do you like it? (you can change your vote later)

Yes
83%
No
No votes
undecided
17%

Total votes : 6
<<

LockMan789

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:29 am

My own pen style pocket pick set.

cheap-pocket-pen-picks.jpg

Although only very tiny tension wrenches fit in this pen and although i sometimes have to shake it to get them out of the containment area, it still works.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbF5SasqCSg[/youtube]

The hook :shorthook: and rake :snakerake: allow the metal cap to screw on, while the half diamond :halfdiamond: is too big, but you don't have to screw the metal cap on, because it fits really snug once you push it in.

Main Parts list:
* Unison Gel medium pen
* 1 small bobby pin
* Southord pen replacement tips
* Wiper blade insert, cut (don't cut the tip too long or it will get jammed inside the pen and almost impossible to get out)
* 1 "large" bobby pin

Additional Parts list for the back cap:
* 1 small bobby pin
* hot glue
* Keyring or metal wire.

Notes:
* I already had this gel pen and took the ink tube out, but their not too expensive.
* The keyring (or metal wire),2nd bobby pin and hot glue are used to make the end cap removable, because they are VERY hard to take off otherwise.

Instructions:

Pen Cap End:
I put the end cap in a pair of locking pliers or vice.
I straightened out the ripples a little in the bobby pin with a desk vice grip.
I held a small bobby pin in a pair of locking pliers.
I heated the ends of the bobby pin and after 3 heatings, I was able to push it through the plastic cap and have the loop facing outward.
I then folded the bobby pin ends outward and flat, and then twisted them together twice (i think) and then cut them with wire cutters (hoping they would be able to pull out).
Then, for extra support, I cut a thin strip of a hot glue stick and melted it over the open bottom end cap and took a dental pick (sure a toothpick or paperclip or another bobby pin would work) and tried to shove the heated melting glue into the airspace of the end cap by pushing it in 2 seperate times, then the 3rd time, i added a glob on the end that would still easily fit in the pen tube.

Then i took steel metal wire and made several loops around a sharpie marker and threaded it through the bobby pin loop on the cap and hot-glued the sharp ends. A keychain would be far better, but I felt like improvising.

Tension Wrenches:
I took a wiper blade insert and cut it with my very strong wire cutters (I need a better tool for cutting metal, but bending back and forth in a vice works too). I already had custom made tensioners, so I found the size that fit and make a single ended one and then hit it a few times with a metal file to take off the sharp edges.
Then I took a large and small bobby pen and bent/cut them to make tensioner gap-fillers since the tensioner is usually too narrow and I only have 1 wiper blade that is the standard tension width, so I'm saving it.

Note: The tiny tips for the wrench are far from optimal and can fall out of the lock if your not careful, but it is still functional and just a nice portable tiny kit. If you want a great pocket kit, it is going to take up more space and it can be VERY cheap to make, compared to what other people have posted and you don't have to modify the picks, so it's not ruining perfectly good picks.
I've used a White Owl cigar tube which can hole full size flat picks and standard size wrenches, but that takes up a lot more room in your pocket.

I'd really like to have something like this: (New idea wrenches for pen pick set) [collapsible wrench]
http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55262
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LockMan789 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:32 am

Re: My own pen style pocket pick set.

Very cool.

Have you considered using an opaque pen body to conceal the contents and cut down the ink tube of a legit pen so the pen is actually functional if inspected? Or perhaps rubber insulation to prevent the obvious rattling noise.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

LockMan789

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: My own pen style pocket pick set.

"opaque pen body to conceal the contents"

-Yes, a different pen body may be better. I didn't expect this to work and was shocked when it did. Possibly any pen body that has a metal screw on tip, is probably the same size under the metal screw tip, which would fit the tips the same. If I find something better, I'll post it. A pen that has a larger storage area would open up more opportunities. Markers give you more room, but require you to modify it to hold a pick in place.

If you don't mind carrying 2 devices, you could keep that pen I showed, as a 100% normal pen, since no modification actually needs to be done in order to simply hold a pick (mod was only for storing/removing easily). Then you could carry a marker, that has all the tips/wrenches in it and both items could still be functional. The only downside is, carrying a marker and a pen.

"and cut down the ink tube of a legit pen so the pen is actually functional if inspected?"

-I thought about that, but the one that was in it, had too much ink, so it couldn't be cut down far enough, since the pen is so slim (not much bigger around than a pencil) it would HAVE to be cut to still fit stuff inside. You can have a 2.1" gap from the tip of the picks (with a slight gap) to the metal tip opening if you used shorter tension wrenches or for the length I chose, 1.5".

"Or perhaps rubber insulation to prevent the obvious rattling noise."

You could put something in there to fill a gap or 1.25" gap at the back end since once they settle toward the tip, they get kinda jammed and stay in place, there wouldn't be any need to put something between/around the items, only behind them and you would want it to be very easy to remove, so it doesn't get stuck, maybe like a syringe plunger type of thing where its flat on the far end, but skinnier the rest of the way.
I've used a paper towel piece before in other setups and it worked great and is dirt cheap and replaceable. Toilet paper and napkins work too, but they fall apart easier. I wouldn't recommend paper for this pen, except maybe paperboard, like from a cereal box, [not corrugated cardboard] since it won't get messed up as easily.

Another thing is, I have to put them in there in a certain position and order, otherwise they jam up and I can't put the end cap on.

I have an eye-glasses case that I can also keep full sized picks/wrenches in and I use paper towel to stop any noise. I've also made one from a $1 make-up kit from the Dollar Tree, where I pried out the make-up inserts and broke the plastic tab dividers and then lined it with electric tape (but electric tape gets gummy and messy over time, so I don't recommend it for anything long term).

I've added a youtube video link at the top of my first post to show it being taken apart, used and re-assembled.

Return to Home Brew