FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

SPP tension tool for tubulars

<<

escher7

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:52 am

SPP tension tool for tubulars

AIR_20140627_00000.jpg
I have been very happy with my cheapo Chinese tubular picks, but wanted a good tension tool for SPP'ing them. The problem with the lock design is getting something to engage the notch without slipping, but still be out of the way so you can access the pins. I realized that a square end that fit tightly would work, but it also had to fit different size locks. The solution is to use a square key that is wedge shaped so by sliding further in, it would adjust to larger notches. This works perfectly:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:09 am

Re: SPP tension tool for tubulars

Like your tension wrench, escher7. :)

Here is the type of tubular tension wrench (made from hacksaw blades) I use the most...

Tubular Tension Wrenches 1.jpg

The tension wrench's square side goes into the notch in the center post, the pointed end goes in the circle around the post.

Tubular Tension Wrenches 2.jpg

Tubular Tension Wrenches 3.jpg

There are two sizes of wrench. They can fit a variety of sizes of tubular locks, and you choose the one that best fits the size and pin configuration.

Tubular Tension Wrenches 4.jpg

Tubular Tension Wrenches 5.jpg

There are two sides on the handles so you can apply the most even tension, like so:

Tubular Tension Wrenches 6.jpg

Of course, sometimes the area around the lock prevents the two handle tension wrench, so you can cut off one side. You might have noticed that the narrower of the two tension wrenches is a bit taller as well. That allows the tension wrench to be used on recessed tubular locks, such as the one in an American 7200 series padlock.

This type of tension wrench works extremely well on the tubular locks with a notch in the center post. For those without, I use a music wire tension wrench, seen below with the first of the other type of wrench I made. The top one is a straight pick to poke the pins, the middle is a music wire tension wrench, the bottom one you are already familiar with.

Tubular Tension Wrenches 7.jpg

Have since cleaned up that rough as heck looking tension wrench in that picture above. It was a prototype for me, and worked so well that I moved on to other projects, and never got around to smoothing it out and making it look decent until very recently. (Two days ago. After a couple of years use. :oops: )

Gordon

P.S. - Once the edges of the two tension wrenches in the top picture are cleaned up a bit and sanded, they are the ones coming your way, Cyrano. :D Took the pictures in the lock to show how they are used, and they work great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

escher7

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:17 am

Gord: Thanks for the reply. I had seen your wrench in another post and did try some variations on it but ended up with the one pictured here. I like it because on the larger notches it just slides in further to make a tight bond.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:32 am

escher7 wrote:Gord: Thanks for the reply. I had seen your wrench in another post and did try some variations on it but ended up with the one pictured here. I like it because on the larger notches it just slides in further to make a tight bond.

I'll undoubtedly make one like yours to play around with, escher. :)

The two prongs on mine work well because it levers against the post itself when turning force is applied, pulling the prong in the notch tighter as torque is increased. (fgarci, don't go there! :evil: ) When you release tension, the wrench does not stick. (Not you, too, ARF! :( ) The width of the notch or diameter of the plug is irrelevant with this type of tension wrench. (Oldfast!!! Darn it, you guys! :boxing: )

One thing to be sure of when someone is trying to make a tension wrench like mine is that the angle on the sharp prong needs to be fairly steep. That is to prevent the prong from sticking in the gap around the plug, as well as prevent it from contacting the nearest pin.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

escher7

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:02 pm

Gord - I think the material I used was key stock, as in gears etc., ie for the channel that locks gears onto a shaft. It was tough to bend but easy to file. I probably should have torched it to get a better bend. Seems to me it came from the local hardware store, although it has been in my junk pile for years.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Sounds like woodruff key stock. Decent material. Thanks for the info. :)

Gordon
<<

escher7

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:47 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Sounds like woodruff key stock. Decent material. Thanks for the info. :)

Gordon

I will make you one if you can't find the bar stock, but I know you are good at this sort of thing, and it literally took me about 20 minutes with a vise and a file. :soldier:
<<

escher7

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:00 am

I just watched a video by Kokomolock using a unique tension tool. I looks like the end of a tubular pick with a right-angled handle. Can't see it well enough in the video, but I would love to get a picture and/or description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsTSHeXkN5Q
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:39 am

That kind of tensioner is a key with the cuts made the full length of the barrel of the key and a lever glued to the key.

Gordon
<<

escher7

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:09 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:That kind of tensioner is a key with the cuts made the full length of the barrel of the key and a lever glued to the key.

Gordon

That was my guess Gord. Thanks.

Return to Home Brew