FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sanding down some picks...

<<

info5ec

Post Mon May 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Sanding down some picks...

I've been wanting to sand down the profile of one of my standard southord hooks, but I want to do it right. What is usually the best grit/tool to use when trying to sand down the edges of picks?
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: Sanding down some picks...

I normally start with a 320 grit (silicon carbide), which you have to be pretty careful with. It cuts quicker than you would think and I use it to finish up the exact profile I want. I progress to a 500 grit and then 600 grit. I follow up with a buffer wheel and polishing compound. This might not be the best methodology out there, but it seems to work for me :)
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 05, 2014 4:24 pm

I don't know what the best method is, but I do know what not to do. Dremel tool with a sanding disc. Tried that a couple of years ago to modify a half-diamond. Needless to say I had one less pick. So hand sand and start with a pretty fine grit as mentioned above.

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

escher7

Post Mon May 05, 2014 9:38 pm

jimylongs wrote:I normally start with a 320 grit (silicon carbide), which you have to be pretty careful with. It cuts quicker than you would think and I use it to finish up the exact profile I want. I progress to a 500 grit and then 600 grit. I follow up with a buffer wheel and polishing compound. This might not be the best methodology out there, but it seems to work for me :)

Exactly the way I do it, although most Southords don't need too much work from factory. They come with a pretty decent finish. If you are changing the actual shape, I would use a file (carefully) and then do the sand/polish.

Return to Home Brew