FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Made these two picks today

<<

scudo

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Made these two picks today

Thhats 3 I have made in total so just trial running to see how they turn out, Learned a lot by doing these so when time permits should be able to improve on them. I wanted a shorter hook so quite happy with that for the time being.

Used mainly files and 6" grinder before polishing. Made from hacksaw blades but although its ok I reckon I need a stronger material. The next phase will handles at some point over the Summer months.

1.JPG

2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: Made these two picks today

They look great Scudo! And that short hook should come in handy at time's I'll bet.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more. It's always nice to see the progression.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:12 pm

i like your style scudo
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:34 pm

The short hook will come in very handy soon. :mrgreen:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:02 am

Not bad scudo. If you think you need a stronger metal than hacksaw blades there must be something wrong. Maybe the hacksaw blades you used were bad quality, you heated too much while grinding, you think you need more force than needed while picking... I say so because hacksaw blades are the strongest metal I've worked with and think I don't need all that stiffness. In fact I prefer street cleaning bristle to make picks.

Cheers :)
<<

scudo

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:02 am

If you think you need a stronger metal than hacksaw blades there must be something wrong

Its only my thinking and with no particular reason, yet to get my hands on some street cleaner blades and car wipers to compare. They werent over heated. Time will tell, probably to do with confidence like I made them so could be better.

The short hook will come in very handy soon

That was the main reason for making a short hook :-)
<<

scudo

Post Thu May 01, 2014 3:48 am

Kindness can kill :-)

So going on hols in 2 weeks and I jokingly said it would be nice to take my picks and a couple of padlocks for the flight to pass the time but of course I would be dragged off the plane if I ever attempted it so I will pack them in my hold luggage. So wife thought I wasnt taking them and as a surprise bought me a small set to go on hols which was to be a surprise when we got there until she found out I WAS taking them in the hold. So she gave me them now.

Now that was a nice thoughtful gesture................that has just destroyed my incentive for making my own, you would think after 40 years of marriage she would realise I get my fun from making/bodging/DIYing just about anything. Next thing she will be handing me the keys telling me its easier that way..

They never learn :-)
<<

scudo

Post Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 pm

This is the last one for now finished, this is to replace a previous one that I managed to snap due to snagging it on a drawer.
I hope to make a better profile later on when I get a 1/4 inch round file, the last one I ordered they sent a 1/8 inch but let me keep it and reimbursed me. I actually made a mistake with this one as the profile is upside down to what I was planning to do, as the deeper cuts should have been on the top.

The picture is of the same rake I just copy/pasted different views on the one image.

all.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

muddassarusa

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Nice work
<<

escher7

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:09 am

Finish etc. quite good. They do look a bit thin at the working end and might break under too much pressure. Femurat is correct - good quality hacksaw blades are very strong so long as you don't destroy the temper by over heating. They are heat treated for the same type of work picks are used for and the high speed steel is chosen for its strength and flexibility.
<<

scudo

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:32 pm

Well it broke ! My wife decided to try some padlocks so I set her up with 4 and a couple of picks and tension bars, she managed all 4 padlocks :-(
I went out to make some coffee and she picked up the rake and attempted the lock I was working on and because her lock picking experience was all of a couple of hours old I think she rammed the rake in and twisted it, anyhow I cant get the remnants back out so the lock is screwed as well.

A rush job and still got some finishing and polishing to do as I need this for my hols next week, but I made this replacement yesterday. The bits that are missing from the top one are still in the lock and strangely enough the key still goes all the way in but wont turn. I tried thin blade and broken key extractor but cant budge it.

b1.jpg
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed May 07, 2014 3:56 pm

The broken part of the pick is probably jamming the cam or blocking the tailpiece. Try holding the lock at different angles and working with a pick. Maybe you can get the broken pick tip to either drop out of the keyway, or slip behind the cam/tailpiece, allowing the key to turn the plug.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Gordon

P.S. Congrats to your wife! :twisted:
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Well done on the homebrew Scudo , if you need some bristles , i can send you a bunch , and some drain snake , if you ask nicely , i might even send you a few pieces of Starrett 0.025 ! pm me if you want stuff .
Open Sez Me !
<<

deph

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 08, 2014 1:48 pm

nice picks scudo. I used hacksaw blades for a long time and they served me well. if your like me and don't have alot of options for materials, you should stop by the hardware store and pick up some sawz-all blades. I havnt seen any one else talk about using them, but for me they have worked great. They are about the same price as hacksaw blades but alot sturdier and thicker, and since the blade is wider on one side, you have alot of options on how to make the handle. If you make any more post them for us we'd love to see 'em.
<<

scudo

Post Thu May 08, 2014 3:04 pm

GWiens ...
The broken part of the pick is probably jamming the cam or blocking the tailpiece
...Would that apply to a padlock? Yes apart from snapping my bogota she done well although with the cutaway I have she is struggling with 5 pins, she was ok with 4 pins but it is awkward with 5 and six pins.

Nozza...PM sent.

Deph.... The hacksaw blades are serving me ok they have enough flex in them and are supposedly quality carbon ones, but they would say that. The problem is with my wife now getting involved she just dont understand any technical stuff like stress in metal etc, I mean I have a circular saw, a jigsaw, a chop saw , a table saw, a tile cutting saw, and a multi tool saw, I am being serious when I say she thinks I have 6 of the same, she cant grasp they are all different. So rambling aside I am looking for material that will take a bit more abuse. What do Scudo and lockpicks have in common...........................We both take abuse from the wife :-)

Return to Home Brew