FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Homebrew wooden pick handles

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue May 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: Homebrew wooden pick handles

Wow... that's wild. It never would have occured to me to use CA glue as a finish, but damn! can't argue with the results.

manskirtbrew wrote:
escher7 wrote:Elbow: French polish is normally done with shellac which shines up great but is not very durable. Moisture from the hands etc. would erode it quickly.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Shellac takes a gorgeous shine, but isn't durable for this sort of use.

For things that get handled a lot, I prefer a CA finish. Basically you just use superglue *as* the finish. My favorite example is this shaving brush I made for a friend. It gets handled daily, dipped in hot water and soap, and still shines like this picture:

You can really see how the finish shines in this picture of a straight razor I added new scales to:

For the picks, I was going to do a CA finish, but got totally lazy. Honestly, on exotic woods like this I'm okay with no finish. Plus it doesn't feel plasticky and slippery like many finishes can.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue May 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Do you use a gel CA? Then let it dry, and polish it once it is hardened? Am curious how you go about using CA for a finish. Considered using it for lip balm once, but mmmmMMMmmMmmm.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 08, 2014 1:50 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Do you use a gel CA? Then let it dry, and polish it once it is hardened? Am curious how you go about using CA for a finish. Considered using it for lip balm once, but mmmmMMMmmMmmm.

I would not recommend it for lip balm.

For a finish, I just use regular medium CA. I wipe several coats on using a neoprene glove, letting each dry for a few minutes. Then I wet sand with 800 until all the bumps are knocked down. Several more coats of CA, then wet sand from 800-2000 grits. Finish with plastic polish for a super shine. It's really easy, just time consuming.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri May 09, 2014 8:37 pm

I must admit intrigue over this method of finishing... Now I will have to give it a go. I wonder how much faster it would go hitting it with low pressure steam, since obviously heat speed reactions and then combining that with the fact that CA glue cures by reacting with the moisture in the air. Or maybe it would just make the bumps worse? Hmmn... I may have to experiment. (Fires up a few electrical arc and corona devices to set the ambience)

manskirtbrew wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Do you use a gel CA? Then let it dry, and polish it once it is hardened? Am curious how you go about using CA for a finish. Considered using it for lip balm once, but mmmmMMMmmMmmm.

I would not recommend it for lip balm.

For a finish, I just use regular medium CA. I wipe several coats on using a neoprene glove, letting each dry for a few minutes. Then I wet sand with 800 until all the bumps are knocked down. Several more coats of CA, then wet sand from 800-2000 grits. Finish with plastic polish for a super shine. It's really easy, just time consuming.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
Previous

Return to Home Brew