FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Jimy Longs Picks

<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: Jimy Longs Picks

I've been using a roll of 25' fish tape I bought form Lowes for around $8. It's .25" x .030". Above I said it was .25" by .025", but I just measured it again and that is incorrect. I must have gotten it confused when I measure it along side the hose cable clamp, which was .5" x .025".
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:58 pm

A street sweeper drove by my work on Friday, I went out for a walk and found a couple sweeper bristles! The first one was in pretty bad condition, extremely rusty and pitted. That's why there are quite a few pits all along the sides. I hadn't made a bogota for a while so I thought I would use it for some practice. The 2nd bristle should make some pretty nice picks, it's in allot better shape.

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Was looking at those first picks again. They look great!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 am

looks like light rust, sands right off,

the bristles stay clean on the brush, but after they lay in the gutter for a month they get crusty,
if you saw a sweeper go by, it would have shed some better bristle, fresh, not rusted. but when the machine
has just gone by they are camoflaged by the grey dust they get in use and are much harder to see, after a few
days the dust blows off and they are easier to spot.

Your stuff looks good, but use the other side of the sand paper, ya got it wrong side up :twisted:
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Oldfast wrote:Was looking at those first picks again. They look great!

Thanks! I think my picture taking skills really need to be worked on. The pick looks pretty rough, and it is on the sides where I couldn't get the pits out, but everything was pretty polished up.

rai wrote:looks like light rust, sands right off,

the bristles stay clean on the brush, but after they lay in the gutter for a month they get crusty,
if you saw a sweeper go by, it would have shed some better bristle, fresh, not rusted. but when the machine
has just gone by they are camoflaged by the grey dust they get in use and are much harder to see, after a few
days the dust blows off and they are easier to spot.

Your stuff looks good, but use the other side of the sand paper, ya got it wrong side up :twisted:

I sanded the bristle for quite a while and couldn't get them out. The bristle was completely rusted when I started, I figured it would be good practice. After this set, I figured out if I put the sand paper on an extremely flat surface, I could get the sides on these bristles really nice. So I'm excited for the next one.

I also took a longer walk around and found about a dozen or so bristles, some of them are in great condition too! There building a building close by so the sweeper drivers around quite a bit. There will definitely be more picks coming when I get some free time.

Also Rai, I'm a huge fan of your techniques with the bench pin and hand files. I'll attempt to take some pictures of my process and I'd love to hear your critique.
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Finished remodeling my workroom this last week and decided it was time to make some picks! I love making Bogotas, these were made by hand, no power tools. I tried to get the thin parts to be consistent to 0.055" +-.002 or so. The turned out alright, but I still see some issues. I'm thinking the neck is a bit to long as well, I might shorten it up next time.

Bogota9242014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:04 am

Very nice thanks for sharing :salute:
Previous

Return to Home Brew