FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Jimy Longs Picks

<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Jimy Longs Picks

I really enjoy looking at the picks people make so I figured I would post some pictures of mine when I make them. I gave this last set wood veneer handles just out of curiosity (I normally use plastidip). I really don't like how they look, but they actually feel all right so I might need to figure out how to make the finish look a bit better. Each layer of veneer adds about .025". I've created templates on SketchUp for the 1/4" x .025" wire snake, I cut the wire snake and glue it to the paper. You might notice the template for the bogota is kind of crazy, it's because I shape the metal down to .105" and then use hand files for the rest of it (attempting to be like Raimundo). These use to have a mirror finish, but I've been using them a b it, so they're scratched up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Jimy Longs Picks

Those look to be very finely made picks! Glad you are taking the time to polish them. Polishing makes the picks work so much more smoothly in the lock, and increases what you can feel.

Keep up the great work, and when you make some more, post them, too!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Well done.

They look excellent and as GW said - keep us posted.

How long have you been making picks?

:hbg:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:23 am

Really nice work. I love the wood handles and the slim form you've gone for.

Many thanks for sharing. Please, please show more.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 am

Why don't you like their look? I find them very cool!

Congrats :)
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:55 am

Beautiful!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

scudo

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 am

I think thats a rather neat job.
I am confused on your measurements though...

I've created templates on SketchUp for the 1/4" x .025" wire snake, I cut the wire snake and glue it to the paper. You might notice the template for the bogota is kind of crazy, it's because I shape the metal down to .105"

1/4 inch I assume is the overall height of the snake part and .025" thick but you say the template is rough cut too .105" I am reading that as 100 th of an inch (approx) not that I am good with measurements.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 am

Those actually look really nice. I would love to try one of your short hooks.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 am

I've been making these for the last year or so. The part I'm not thrilled about is because the wire snake metal is kind of rounded on the edges so where the wood meets the metal isn't exactly perfect. These were the first wooden ones, so hopefully the next will be better.
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 am

scudo wrote:I think thats a rather neat job.
I am confused on your measurements though...

I've created templates on SketchUp for the 1/4" x .025" wire snake, I cut the wire snake and glue it to the paper. You might notice the template for the bogota is kind of crazy, it's because I shape the metal down to .105"

1/4 inch I assume is the overall height of the snake part and .025" thick but you say the template is rough cut too .105" I am reading that as 100 th of an inch (approx) not that I am good with measurements.

Yeah, I wasn't exactly clear. The wire snake is 0.25" (1/4") wide. I cut this down to 0.105" where the bogota shape is going to be. 0.105" is about an 1/10th of an inch.
<<

escher7

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 pm

jimylongs wrote:I've been making these for the last year or so. The part I'm not thrilled about is because the wire snake metal is kind of rounded on the edges so where the wood meets the metal isn't exactly perfect. These were the first wooden ones, so hopefully the next will be better.

Very nice effort. The part where the business end meets the handle is always hard to get right. The first thing is to polish the pick end before attaching the handle, and then taping it to protect the polish. Similarly, trying to shape that end of the handle and getting it symmetrical is also hard to do after attaching the handle slabs. If you can shape them together, before attaching, it helps and also prevents scratching the polished end while working on the handle.

How are the handles attached as I don't see any pins?
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 pm

I like the tape idea, I'll have to try that next. The wood is a veneer you heat to attach, it has glue on the back of it. It was thin enough after I was trimmed the edges with a razor. Not the best finishing method...
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:24 pm

You look like you're well on your way! I make wood handle picks and use epoxy to attach the slabs. Very strong. The tool puts no stress on the handles so pins are really just decoration, not necessary. I'm still honing my efforts also, each one gets a little nicer than the last. Keep it up, they look terrific!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:16 am

Hi again Jimi.

What metal do you use and what thickness?

Again, Excellent job.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Neilau wrote:Hi again Jimi.

What metal do you use and what thickness?

Again, Excellent job.

+1 to that. I'm also curious what kind of metal your using. Awesome work
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
Next

Return to Home Brew