FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

All Natural Homebrew

<<

TheNatural

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am

All Natural Homebrew

Hey guys! Made a new pick and wanted to show it off! Thanks to all the guys that helped with my mirror finish questions, it made a huge difference for me! Also this is where I will be posting all my future Homebrew endeavors. Hope you enjoy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That last pic is a thanks to Oldfast. I did that in about an hour and a half and I was so pumped! About 2 months ago or so I was trying to pick Americans and it seemed like rocket science to me. I took a break for a while and Oldfast gave me some tips and directed me to his amazing write up on Americans. About a week or two ago I started trying to pick my american locks again and somehow things just started to make sense. I swear most of it was due to the idea of "optimum lifting pressure", for some reason that just clicked with me. Thanks again Oldfast, and everybody on this site. This place is really quite awesome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: All Natural Homebrew

Sweet ass homebrews dude! Homebrew rules the world man, there's nothing better than making your own tools.

Keep it up!
<<

TheNatural

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks Huxley! I agree! It is really fun to successfully craft a tool and then successfully use it!
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Very nice job.

What are the handles made of and how are that attached?

It's great fun "rolling your own" and very addictive.

As an added bonus the slight variations in each one that you make (particularly Bogata style picks) may just be the "magic" shape to open that "naughty" lock that has resisted all previous attempts.

Again, Very nice.

Cheers
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

escher7

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Cute design. Yes, Oldfast is a positive force on this site. I just found a video site where he beats a bunch of Master combo padlocks one after the other. Very impressive.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 am

Great looking finish and handle!
What is the handle made of and how is it attached.
Very nice job!

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 am

Nice pick and picking. I like the angled cuts on the end, nice touch. What model is that big silver American in the middle?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:53 am

Hey Natural,what part of Illinois you from? Great job on the pick by the way.It looks factory made.
<<

TheNatural

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:37 am

Thanks guys! I am glad you like it!

MrWizard wrote:What is the handle made of and how is it attached.

The handle is just 1/2" x (about).090"x 12" brass bar stock that I got from my local hardware store. I epoxied them to the tang of the pick with jb weld. The finish was the easiest finish I have ever put on anything haha! It was just a dremel with the rough sanding wheel. I think it is like 80 or 100 grit. Like I said crazy easy but I thought it looked cool so I just left it.

xeo wrote:Nice pick and picking. I like the angled cuts on the end, nice touch. What model is that big silver American in the middle?

Thanks xeo! The big american is a series 50 that I found at a flea market. He put up a good fight, he's got some monster spools I think cause the counter rotation was more than I have experienced.

DennisK wrote:Hey Natural,what part of Illinois you from?

Dennis, I am from the Chicago area. What about yourself?
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 am

if you want to get that time down on picking american locks, try this, make yourself a pair of really small hooks, about one mm and 2mm above the pickshaft, you can just experiment with a piece of sweeper bristle to make a couple prototypes, and after you find out what you can do with them
you can spend the extra time on some art picks.

Using a pick that is sized for the keyway is a key to success. that beautiful art pick is actually a full size large hook. good for some locks but not actually helpful for the small ones, the large size is actually getting in the way. if you have keys to those locks, make a hook slightly smaller than the maximum adjacent cuts, ( a one or zero cut will not be next to a nine cut, its too much ) picks should be smaller than the full range of pin depths, they make up for this by agility in the keyway, they are not forced to one level only like a key that fits the keyway tightly.

The hooks I recommend for american are really really short. I call them slight hooks.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Beautiful pick, and awesome picking!! 'Just look at all those Americans... lined up and bent over!' HA!

And really, thanks for the shout-out guys :oops: Honestly, nearly anything that I've managed to become
fairly good at can be traced back to THIS forum and the absolutely WONDERFULLY giving people here!!
So yeah, it feels pretty damn good when I know I've played (to some extent) a small part in passing it on.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Oldfast wrote:Beautiful pick, and awesome picking!! 'Just look at all those Americans... lined up and bent over!' HA!

And really, thanks for the shout-out guys :oops: Honestly, nearly anything that I've managed to become
fairly good at can be traced back to THIS forum and the absolutely WONDERFULLY giving people here!!
So yeah, it feels pretty damn good when I know I've played (to some extent) a small part in passing it on.

Traced back to this forum... Aaaaaannnd a great deal of time and dedication. A person is not handed the skills you have. Not even Xeo, as gifted as he is, received his talent. He, like yourself, took a lot of time to develop the skills in your arsenal.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:53 pm

TheNatural wrote:Thanks guys! I am glad you like it!

MrWizard wrote:What is the handle made of and how is it attached.

The handle is just 1/2" x (about).090"x 12" brass bar stock that I got from my local hardware store. I epoxied them to the tang of the pick with jb weld. The finish was the easiest finish I have ever put on anything haha! It was just a dremel with the rough sanding wheel. I think it is like 80 or 100 grit. Like I said crazy easy but I thought it looked cool so I just left it.

xeo wrote:Nice pick and picking. I like the angled cuts on the end, nice touch. What model is that big silver American in the middle?

Thanks xeo! The big american is a series 50 that I found at a flea market. He put up a good fight, he's got some monster spools I think cause the counter rotation was more than I have experienced.

DennisK wrote:Hey Natural,what part of Illinois you from?

Dennis, I am from the Chicago area. What about yourself?

I'm down south,around the Mt.Vernon,Marion area.
<<

TheNatural

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:10 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Traced back to this forum... Aaaaaannnd a great deal of time and dedication. A person is not handed the skills you have. Not even Xeo, as gifted as he is, received his talent. He, like yourself, took a lot of time to develop the skills in your arsenal.
Gordon

I agree Gordon!

Oldfast wrote:Beautiful pick, and awesome picking!! 'Just look at all those Americans... lined up and bent over!' HA!

Thanks, Oldfast! I remember watching that video of yours and being amazed! That is one of the reason I was so pumped! I definitely didn't pick them as fast but at least I was able to pick that many and that was a major accomplishment for me!

I just now finished roughing out two more picks and I am really excited for the handles that I have in store for these ones! I don't know if anyone has done handles like this before... I would be surprised if no one had, but I haven't ever seen them before (given I have only been doing this for a few months). Anyways, I'll be posting those in the next week or two!
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 am

That is beautiful. The back of the pick reminds me of the Sargent logo :D
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
Next

Return to Home Brew