FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Repinning Error - Adventurous Fix

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:31 am

Repinning Error - Adventurous Fix

I was sent an Abus 83/55 padlock for repair over Christmas, and I thought to share the method I used. I guess it's possible that guys starting out repinning a lock or thinking about progressively pinning a lock might make the same error.

The real bitch for me was that I ended up with corrupt vid files from the pre-edit I did of fixing it, so that was a real bummer. Thankfully, I got some stills and could recover some vid files, but not enough to do a complete vid.

I'll write it up here with what I can.

Issue:

Padlock was sent to me for repair after it had 2 key pins removed with a view to pick it as a progressively pinned lock. However, it was then reassembled, and locked without removing the driver pins and springs out of the housing in those stacks.

Of course, this left the padlock inoperable because stacks 1 and 2 were pinned with only a driver pin and spring. Key would fully insert, but no plug rotation. The other 3 stacks were pinning to the key bitting.

Mission:

Need to find a way to unlock / rotate the plug enough to pop the shackle open, in order to remove the retaining screw in the shackle seat, and drop the core out to repin. With that done, this glorious padlock would be able to fulfil its purpose in life :D

Possible Solution 1:

As the shear line for stacks 1 and 2 was only blocked by the springs, the 3 correctly pinned stacks could be picking, and then the plug could be forced into rotation. This will hopefully shear/break the springs, and allow enough rotation in the plug.

However, this could easily leave deep scaring on the surface of the plug from the spring pieces as the plug is forced to turn, so it can only be classed as a destructive method. Probably need to buy a new core anyway (as well as replace 2 springs) since the scarring would definitely give a stiff and crunchy rotation, if it could get as far as being repinned correctly.

With that said, it might only be possible with soft metal springs, and more than likely cause rotation to be blocked before the shackle pops. Could also (more than likely) completely jam the plug and prevent opening > core removal > gutting to repin with the missing key pins.

If a lock has steel springs (as is the case with most Abus locks), it's more than likely they won't shear, and will just unravel/twist some, and without doubt block rotation, with no way back.

Possible Solution 2:

Pick stacks 3, 4 and 5 as normal, and then overlift the driver pins past the shearline on stacks 1 and 2 with something like a gonzo hook pick. Southord equivalents of this pick would be a MAX-06B or a MSL-06.

This could work since the keyway is not too paracentric and the stacks to be manipulated are 1 and 2 at the front of the keyway. It's not destructive in any way, and would allow normal opening to repin with the 2 missing key pins.

If the problem stacks where further back, or the keyway more of a monkey, it would be tricky to get the pick that far back and overlift the offending driver pins.

Possible Solution 3:

While solution 2 was doable in this case, I decided to get all creative, and have a play :D I went for a 3rd option I could see. I'd be very interested if anyone has other options in mind I hadn't thought about. That would be cool.

On the white paper in the image below, you'll see the 3 tools I used. The first at the top of the page is just a tension tool, but the 2 tools below it is something you may not have seen before. Which I can explain with the vid files I could save.

This vid is 'Unlisted' on my YouTube Channel. I'm thinking it won't make complete sense without the write-up to go along with it.

A Happy Ending:

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:05 am

Re: Repinning Error - Adventurous Fix

Nice fix Mr. definitely a useful tip should someone rum into a similar problem.

Thanks and Cheers
Mike
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:32 am

Great stuff!

I probably would've fumbled around for a good while with trying to pick it. lol
Solution 3 never even occurred to me. Was fun to watch it play out successfully!

Thanks for documenting it. Sorry ya lost portions of video. I would've liked to see it.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Well done sir!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:29 am

Great stuff mate. Since the video is done, you can make the write up in the description part
<<

Lauren

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:25 pm

When I was thirteen years old, I used to put small spit wads in the chambers of some AMERICAN padlocks (AM4 key type). I did this to hold down the entire stack, acting as a comb pick effect. I bet this would have easily worked for you in this situation. No fancy tools, no real sophisticated effort.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 am

Nice job my friend. It's always nice to be able to save a lock.

I had a similar issue with an euro profile lock and solved it by picking the lock as usual... but had to shove an L bent piece of wire up the chamber missing the top pin every now and then to push it up. This is similar to your solution 2 but since the binding order was not linear, I had to push the single pin up before starting to pick the lock and then many many times during the normal picking.

Cheers :)

Return to Home Brew