FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just some picks.

<<

motoxkfx

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Just some picks.

Just thought i would post up some of the pics that i made this is my first set these took me about a hour to make out of street sweeper bristles.

This is the beginning of the next set made out of 304 stainless steel 10ga. This one was just a trial to see how hard it would be to cut, it was not bad. I made it in about 20 min when i was on my lunch break it still needs sanded and polished.

<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Just some picks.

Either you can't tell time or you need to lay off the speed buddy. These and your last are some seriously fast work. I like your last one, that looks like a nice pick.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

motoxkfx

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 pm

I just have a knack for metal work lol.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm

I like metalwork too, probably my favorite hobby. I like making picks more than using then really. I still spend at least 20 hours on each pick though. :P
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 pm

VERY nice!!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

motoxkfx

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Aedalas wrote:I like metalwork too, probably my favorite hobby. I like making picks more than using then really. I still spend at least 20 hours on each pick though. :P

i believe you when you say that you have 20 hrs in yours the are perfect. I still need to do all the finishing work on mine witch i am sure will add at least another hr or so to bring it to a fine polish. one of my other hobby is blacksmithing and that i think helps me to turn them out so quick because i use a lot of the methods for smoothing knife blades for smoothing picks.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:13 pm

motoxkfx wrote:
Aedalas wrote:I like metalwork too, probably my favorite hobby. I like making picks more than using then really. I still spend at least 20 hours on each pick though. :P

i believe you when you say that you have 20 hrs in yours the are perfect. I still need to do all the finishing work on mine witch i am sure will add at least another hr or so to bring it to a fine polish. one of my other hobby is blacksmithing and that i think helps me to turn them out so quick because i use a lot of the methods for smoothing knife blades for smoothing picks.
I've been wanting to get into that for a long time now. Damn landlord and his "fire hazards" won't let me build a forge.

That's the the thing that is impressing me though, yours are unfinished but they could be taken to perfection from there rather easily. In a small fraction of the time it takes me. Also, what is the source material for your last pick? I know you said it was 304 stainless but is it just bar stock or cut from a sheet or some scrap or something? Basically, where do you get your metal? I have some bar stock leftover, I may have to try to make a pick like that. I don't know why it's never occurred to me to make one from a solid piece of steel.
Last edited by Aedalas on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:19 pm

I think he means that while on lunchbreak he used the bridgport mill.
Its easy to plow steel when you have the right equipment. :???:
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:23 pm

rai wrote:I think he means that while on lunchbreak he used the bridgport mill.
Its easy to plow steel when you have the right equipment. :???:

Sadly I'm missing a mill (for now, building one currently). While I can certainly remove some material fast it's not all that accurate. Finishing is what takes the most time for me, I spend hours and hours and hours sanding through 4 different grits of sandpaper. I need to find some 1000 grit belts...
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Aedalas wrote:I need to find some 1000 grit belts...

Have you tried scotch-brite belts? I have some friends who use them when finishing their knives.
<<

motoxkfx

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 pm

just so you all know i do not use a Bridgeport mill. I cut it out of 304 flat sheet 10 ga 34 x 20 inch with a 90 degree grinder and a cutting wheel then formed it on a table grinder and finished it with a 90 degree angel grinder with a flapper disk its not that hard to be accurate. But i think the next ones i might try in a mill we will see. I dont know how i can make these so quick. i just know metal work very well and have bin doing it for 15 to 20 years.

like i tell the guys at work give me a block of steel and tell me what you want made i will find a way. by the way i am a full time fabricator at my job.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Hes one of us, he does it the hard way :ugeek:
ya know I was just pokin you with the stick when I said you were using a bridgeport.
I wish I had a bridgeport..... :kickyoass:
<<

motoxkfx

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:53 pm

rai wrote:Hes one of us, he does it the hard way :ugeek:
ya know I was just pokin you with the stick when I said you were using a bridgeport.
I wish I had a bridgeport..... :kickyoass:

I know you were it's no big deal.

I was just letting you guys know that I do it the hard way as you put it LOL.I have access to a Bridgeport but it is limited to when I can use it Most of the time I use my hillbilly Bridgeport watch is my drillpress with a Slide Vice It seems to work pretty good I just have to be careful not to mess up Bearings in the head With all of the side pressure. :smile:
<<

motoxkfx

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 pm

here are the ones that i have made in the past few days i really dont like the handles but they work lol. I should have some more interesting ones up in the next week or so. I plan to make some out of titanium.

Return to Home Brew