FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picks I just made.

<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Picks I just made.

Here are some picks I made today, its blued 0.020 shim stock, (I sanded the blue off so i could see how hot the steal was getting as its the first time I made picks with this shim stock) I used templates from the forum and taped them on with double sided tape. I roughed them out with a grinder and finished them with a dremel. I spend less then 2 hours on these 5 picks so far, I still plan on doing something with the handles but wanted to show off what I did today.
3 Picks.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Re: Picks I just made.

Nice job, I tried some but have thrown them in the waste bin.
Looks like yours should do the job.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:03 pm

they look a little rough IMHO , but I am going to give them a workout tonight and see how they work.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Nice start.

They will undoubtedly open a lot of locks.

Now you just need to get some emery paper and polish them up.

One tiny suggestion, thin down the shank on the half diamond. And for the Bogata style, maybe go to 25 thou. as they can take a bit of a hammering when learning to use them.

Your pick making will only improve. Unless we start out as metal workers all our first picks are a bit rough - BUT - they just get better and better.

One thing - do not throw out any picks that you make (unless broken, then you can maybe modify them into another sort).

I have had locks that have defied me for ages then just for fun I tried an old, rough pick that I made years ago and -- POP !!!

You have been bitten by the bug now - there is no going back and no piece of scrap metal will be safe. :mrgreen:

My collection has grown over the years to fill a large pouch and I'm still surprised when an old one turns out to be THE ONE.

Nice job. :hbg:

Looking forward to seeing more.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 pm

up till now I have only ever used klom picks, these things are amazing the diamond and the long rake need to be slimmed down. all the others beat my old times with a masterlock now I am going to polish the hell out of them and decide what i want to do for handles. thanks for the awesome comments Neilau and FYI these are scrap pieces from the dumpster at work ;)
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:22 pm

For handles I use heat shrink tube.

Sometimes I might put a bit of tape around them first then the tube but on yours I would just put on the tube.

It has a nice feel and you can always cut it off if you don't like it.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Nice work Anar, you'll definitely get better with time. As much as I love a handful of certain paid for picks, there's nothing better than designing your own and then opening a new tough lock with it. Outside of my raimundos and about a handful of petersons all I use are my customs..makes the hobby all the more fun for me :cool:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:38 pm

For now I am going to just concentrate on the tool ends of my picks and leave the handles as they are.
I put about 2hrs in last night with a stone and some oil just cleaning up the tool ends and they are looking alot better now.
I roughed out 5 more picks today, my goal is to make all the templates from the open pick project :D
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:05 am

I've found that picks without handles work better for me, especially when the handle end fits snugly into the curve of my hand. great feedback this way

edit: i should have said big ole thick handles..the thinner the handle, the better feedback i get
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:25 pm

Nice work AW!

How did you get the writing onto the handles? Did you do it freehand with a Dremel engraving tip? Surely not!
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Looks like the paper template that has not been removed.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:58 pm

jharveee guessed it, I have some clear shrink sleeve on order so I can keep the templates on and still have a little grip on them.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Here is a update on my picks, the handles will be clear shrink sleeve so you can read the labels.
the picks have been only sanded with 1000grit sand paper, and are around 0.015 on average.
sorry for the blur photos (my phones camera sucks)

<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:53 am

Excellent , that diet you put them on worked a treat , lol !
Open Sez Me !
<<

DCT

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:34 am

Nicely done Sir!
I'm looking forward to seeing how the clear heat shrink tube handles work out for you.
Next

Return to Home Brew