FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Theory for new pick creation method

<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:32 am

Theory for new pick creation method

So, i haven't seen this method listed anywhere for making fancy pick designs that wouldn't require much effort to actually do. In the past I've seen people use electrolysis with a salt solution to cut away or etch picks/tensioners. My thought is to take that same concept and apply it to making picks. With either a silkscreen or electrical tape, create a barrier in the shape of the pick you want to make. then use the electrolysis to remove the excess metal. Once all the metal is gone, sand the edges smooth and polish. A proper setup for this could give people who lack handy skills to make their own picks. So, what do you guys think of this idea? I will probably attempt this within the next few weeks to see how well it turns out and keep you guys updated as it goes. If it goes well, we could have a truly fancy method for making picks.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08 am

Re: Theory for new pick creation method

This sounds like a great experiment. There should be no reason that it wouldn't work. Question: Will this limit the choice for pick making metals? I don't know a lot about this sort of thing. It still sounds like a terrific operation to watch develop, keep us in the loop.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 pm

This was discussed in some detail over on lockpicking101.com

Their indexing is not so great sometimes and I can't find the posts.

In summary it worked but there were problems of the metal being thinned and over cut in spots.

UPDATE
These 2 urls are about saltwater + voltage cutting metal.

http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35335&start=0
http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42991
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Ive seen the first post, about the john falle wrenches, which gave me the idea. Frankly, after reading the second one, i think there is much room for improvement. Case and point, instead of having an edge exposed, my plan is to expose everything that isnt part of the pick design. Additionally, If the prelim phase goes off as planned, then an attempt at silk screening is going to be done to see how the quality of that goes, especially with consistent quality based on the emulsion film with templates.

Return to Home Brew