FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

how do i make rakes?

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:40 am

how do i make rakes?

i've never made a rake (other than the bogata...but the process there is quite simple) before. i need help on making a snake rake and a "W" rake. what files should i use? and what is the process in which to remove the material?
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:45 am

Re: how do i make rakes?

well it depends on what material your making it out of. if you just use wiper blade inserts, you can just use a set of needle files. if you use a hacksaw, then i would use a grinder to rough it and then hand files to finish it. maybe a dremel to make the hand files go faster, but use a hand file for the very last step. usually a rat tail needle file works for me.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:38 am

cool. thanks josh. i'm doing drain snake and wiper blades. after my business goes up and running i'll go get a dremel.
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

m0ose

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:24 am

For a good basis on making different tools, checkout this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=296

It's the template thread and there are quite a few templates in store for you there. :D

Honestly, hand filing is a really great way to learn your way around. I've hand filed many keys before and it';s just a great way to learn.

Basically, to make sure you get your angles right, or at least better than eye, just check out the template thread and work from there.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:51 pm

m0ose wrote:For a good basis on making different tools, checkout this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=296

It's the template thread and there are quite a few templates in store for you there. :D

Honestly, hand filing is a really great way to learn your way around. I've hand filed many keys before and it';s just a great way to learn.

Basically, to make sure you get your angles right, or at least better than eye, just check out the template thread and work from there.

cool. thanks moose. i'll try it out. yeah. hand files....that's all i've been given...that's all i can use (untill i get my biz up and buy a dremel, how much does a really high end model usually cost?). and to be honest, i was skeptical about it at first...but wiz told me in a pm on YT that handfiles are good. and that you can't mess up really bad.
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:01 pm

yeah and also with handfiles, you keep the metal's temper. and Ive noticed that pics Ive made with hand files last longer than dremel ones and way longer than bench grinded ones

so if i had the patience, i would handfile them all the time.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:13 pm

Josh wrote:yeah and also with handfiles, you keep the metal's temper. and Ive noticed that pics Ive made with hand files last longer than dremel ones and way longer than bench grinded ones

so if i had the patience, i would handfile them all the time.

yeah. that bogata i made probably took me like...2 or 3 hours by hand...but it was worth it. also, cuz it's so long to make...you feel really cool after you make it as compared to using a grinder. with a grinder it doesn't take any concentration or effort. but by hand you concentrate, you study constantly, and and when it's finished you'll say "i did a damn good job!" and i'm gunna make a set for my local locksmith (trying to see how he thinks of it compared to his rytan picks).
<<

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:27 pm

haha, it's gonna have to be one hell of a pick set if it stands a chance of even being remotely as good as a rytan.

rytan picks have a very similar handle design to the klom picks.

for those of you who havnt seen or heard of them before, here they are:

http://www.rytan.com/cgi-bin/detail.php ... 0%20TYPE-6

Lew
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:22 pm

Lockylew wrote:haha, it's gonna have to be one hell of a pick set if it stands a chance of even being remotely as good as a rytan.

rytan picks have a very similar handle design to the klom picks.

for those of you who havnt seen or heard of them before, here they are:

http://www.rytan.com/cgi-bin/detail.php ... 0%20TYPE-6

Lew

yeah. i'm gunna have to be workin' overtime for a comparison. but he only orders a snake, an offset diamond, and a normal diamond (SOMETIMES you see a different pick in there though). but yeah. rytan and peterson are like the locksmith certified versions of the klom. i'll add heat shrink to it, so i'm hoping that will score me some points. his employees might be completely unaware of the amount of picks they COULD get from rytan. so get me a setta files, some wiper blades, and some spiked coffee i'm workin' late tonight!!! :twisted: (but then again, i didn't sleep since like 2 nights ago...so i got tons of time)
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:40 am

Maybe it's a good idea to get some sleep before you work on you picks so that you wont loose your concentration and make mistakes.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:05 pm

Snor wrote:Maybe it's a good idea to get some sleep before you work on you picks so that you wont loose your concentration and make mistakes.

yeah. it sucks to be an insomniac.
<<

cool-arrow

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:49 am

Jc2intelligent wrote:
Snor wrote:Maybe it's a good idea to get some sleep before you work on you picks so that you wont loose your concentration and make mistakes.

yeah. it sucks to be an insomniac.

They have pills for that, they go down and work really well with a few beers ;)
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:53 am

cool-arrow wrote:They have pills for that, they go down and work really well with a few beers ;)

haha too bad he is too young for the beer. (LOL)
i say just have someone hit you upside the head hard enough and you will get some sleep. ;)
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:18 am

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT HOW TO GET SLEEP!
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Snor wrote:THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT HOW TO GET SLEEP!

better than a thread about sniffing lubricants (LOL)
Next

Return to Home Brew