FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Homebrew Vice Light & the KABA saga

<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:07 pm

Homebrew Vice Light & the KABA saga

Not really sure if this is where this topic should go, but...

I found an interesting way to add a light to my vice. We got 3 snuggies for Christmas this year (approx. 3 too many) and one came with a book light.

IMG_20120331_205317.jpg

I have a lamp beside my bed so I've never had a use for it, figured I would gut it for the led but found I didn't have to.

IMG_20120331_205149.jpg

I had to slide down the rubber pads on my vice a little as the clip for the light is slightly wider than the lock, but it fits rather nicely. I don't normally use a light, but this KABA is killing me here so I stole a couple ideas from one of Farmers videos. The light has actually helped some, I think I'm up to 7-8 pins set so far. I need to file down the straight pick I made (other stolen idea) some though, the top pins are a bitch to get to.

Anyways, figured I'd share the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aedalas on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Homebrew Vice Light

hello, what KABA is that ur trying to pick?
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:35 am

huxleypig wrote:hello, what KABA is that ur trying to pick?

KABA 8. The side rows are easy enough, but those top pins are the killers. They sit almost right on top of the intersecting side pins. :slam:
Last edited by Aedalas on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:59 am

Ah, ok. Very similar to the Gemini but the side pins are at a slightly different angle, right?
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:29 am

I'm not familiar with that one, sorry. The pins are all at right angles basically.

EDIT: Okay, found it on lockwiki. "The Gemini uses three rows of dimple pins oriented at 4, 8, and 12 o'clock in the plug." It appears to be the same layout, but the pins are at 3, 9 and 12. So yeah, basically what you said.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:05 pm

ive been working on the kaba gemini today,no luck so far,didnot know what the pins looked like,as ive never seen one gutted.
just seen the pics on wiki,this is going to be a bitch.
can anyone confirm that the kaba x a different kaba as far as i know locks up on rotation,basically making it pick proof,please.
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Yeah, I got a Gemini too. When I got it it was fucked tho (no fault of the seller tho). Someone who'd owned it in the past had picked it but rotated it too far (I think). The other possibility is that it was taken apart and when the inner sleeve was removed lots of the pins and springs went haywire and got stuck 1) in the pin chambers and 2) in the sleeve itself.

So I had to fix it as best as I could but now there are only 7 pins in it (there was only 8 when I got it though so not too bad I suppose)! It IS a real bitch when you open it up cos the springs go flying and you gotta do it in a plastic bag or in a really clean environment. It means that the lock has a big chunk cut out of the inner sleeve now tho cos I had to dremel it to get it open from its knackered state.

Anyway, I still can't pick it - it's a proper bitch. WAY too easy to overset the pins even if you use heavy tension.
Last edited by huxleypig on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:08 pm

huxleypig wrote:Anyway, I still can't pick it - it's a proper bitch. WAY too easy to overset the pins even if you use heavy tension.

I believe that is the problem I'm having here too. I've thought a number of times now that it should have been picked, an overset is the only reason I can imagine it wasn't.
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Homebrew Vice Light & the Kaba saga

Added the 'KABA saga' bit, I like it, lol.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Homebrew Vice Light & the Kaba saga

Seems necessary, the light part was kind of "meh" at best.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: Homebrew Vice Light & the KABA saga

Keep at it. Without the light as an aid those locks are near impossible. With the aid of the light, they are still painfully difficult. But it makes it that much better when it finally turns. :wink:
<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 am

Neat idea and (considering everyone complains about my lighting situation) one I may well have to imitate. Also noticed we have the same vise :D
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Logan wrote:Also noticed we have the same vise :D
Yep, I too got the cheapest one Harbor Freight had. :P

Should be fairly easy to modify a book light if you don't get lucky with the size. I had planned on grinding the clip down a bit until I realized I could move the pads on the vice. Worst case you could glue a cut to size piece of wood or something to it.

Return to Home Brew