FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

some picks

<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Re: some picks

ratyoke wrote:
Railyn wrote:Did you ever end up making a tutorial?:)

I did do one a long time ago, but focus was more on the handles than the pick blades. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=627&p=4871#p4871

I also did an anodizing tutorial on LP101.

Well it the handles I am interested in :)
Thanks!
Btw... the little metal "plugs" in the handles holding it together. what is that? :)
<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:28 pm

rerun12 wrote:
Railyn wrote:Did you ever end up making a tutorial?:)

I can't answer for ratyoke but there are plenty of pick making tutorials on the web if you do some googling. All you really need is some metal, a set of cheap files, some sandpaper and, of course, a little patience :razz: About 20usd and you're well on your way

Add a grinding wheel and a dremel to that list and you could bang out some picks in 15 minutes. Not like these of course but they'd still do the trick.

Also, thanks for the inspiration ratyoke, think I'm going to dust off the ole' tools and get to work on some new toys myself :smile:

I know how to make picks thanks, its the handles I am interested in :) thanks anyway, I would never have thought about googling it - you are a genius, truely. :o
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:39 pm

that's what i meant, you can google "how to make lock pick handles." you'll find what you're looking for, truly :ugeek:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:50 am

I tryed that ofc and haven't found what I am looking for -_- I am interested in these wooden ones he makes. But thank you for trying to teach me the internet -_- truly.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:16 am

Railyn wrote:Btw... the little metal "plugs" in the handles holding it together. what is that? :)

They are called pins and they are a common method of attaching handles in knife-making. They are most often brass rod or nickel-silver rod.

This gives an overview of the process of pinning and peening a wooden-handled knife:

The technique is roughly the same for picks, they can be thought of as like little knives.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:45 am

Railyn wrote:I tryed that ofc and haven't found what I am looking for -_- I am interested in these wooden ones he makes. But thank you for trying to teach me the internet -_- truly.

anytime ray :smile:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:19 pm

piotr wrote:
Railyn wrote:Btw... the little metal "plugs" in the handles holding it together. what is that? :)

They are called pins and they are a common method of attaching handles in knife-making. They are most often brass rod or nickel-silver rod.

This gives an overview of the process of pinning and peening a wooden-handled knife:

The technique is roughly the same for picks, they can be thought of as like little knives.

Thanks!
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Not sure how many people are left on this forum that still know me, but...
I was back in the US for a visit in January and made this pick. Handle is ebony. I had big plans to make several picks while I was back, but decided I didn't want to spend my limited time home making picks. I also had the worst jet lag I have ever experienced.
Next March I'll be leaving Korea for good. If everything goes according to plan I'll be back in the US till maybe mid April then I am off again, hopefully for the rest of 2016, to do some other things. I plan to make a few picks (that I will sell) while I am home. And I'll try not to wait 8 months to post them.

<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:28 pm

ratyoke wrote:Not sure how many people are left on this forum that still know me, but...
I was back in the US for a visit in January and made this pick. Handle is ebony. I had big plans to make several picks while I was back, but decided I didn't want to spend my limited time home making picks. I also had the worst jet lag I have ever experienced.
Next March I'll be leaving Korea for good. If everything goes according to plan I'll be back in the US till maybe mid April then I am off again, hopefully for the rest of 2016, to do some other things. I plan to make a few picks (that I will sell) while I am home. And I'll try not to wait 8 months to post them.

I'm fairly new here, but I'd love to own a few of your picks. They look like art work.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:32 pm

Nice to have you back. And I'm pretty sure at least most of the old timers still remember you. Your picks are hard to forget.

Are you going to auction the ebony pick?
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:31 am

MBI wrote:Your picks are hard to forget.

it's hard to forget so many beautiful one of a kind pieces ;) :D
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:51 pm

I looked at a few recent posts here and didn't recognize most of the names so I wondered how many people were still around from when I was active here.

MBI wrote:Are you going to auction the ebony pick?

Yes, I think so. I had planned to do it in February but forgot about it.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Ever since I joined this wonderful place...
I've always been in awe over your creations.

Good to see you. And nice to know you're still doing well.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Nice pic's you should think about selling them i'm sure some would sell here.
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

HT4

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:32 pm

Beautiful work!
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
PreviousNext

Return to Home Brew