FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

a new hook photo proccess

<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu May 08, 2008 11:01 pm

a new hook photo proccess

just an example of innovation...i made this with the spring stainless band from an old set of headphones..it will be nice once it has a handle
sorry it goes bottom to top.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

m0ose

Post Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 pm

Re: a new hook photo proccess

Very nice work. :D I can't wait to try my hand at it. :)
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 pm

awesome job ray :D
<<

m0ose

Post Fri May 09, 2008 1:43 pm

usmcboltaction wrote:Okay, so where are all those people that say it is almost impossible to do it with just a file now? I don't remember if it was here or ez, but when I told someone starting out that they didn't need a dremel or a grinder I got piled on like I had a football. We all have been poor, so it is nice to show what a person can do with a few files. Thanks.

Agreed. I didn't grind out my first key until I could file it well enough to work without hanging. And a couple times at that. Then I ventured into the mechanical environment. Like, it frustrates me when people don't have respect for doing things by hand.
<<

Slim

Post Thu May 29, 2008 3:30 am

I have a different angle on the 'to file or not to file' debate. I agree that it's the best way to remove metal, as it's best for the metal itself, no real heat is generated. My problem is that I live in a hot and humid climate, where a little exertion leads to a lot of sweat.

I'm in danger of making mistakes, as I can't see a thing with the sweat stinging my eyes. Even in winter, I sweat like a lawn sprinkler :mrgreen:
<<

StabbyJoe

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Really jealous of how well everyone's (particularly that one) picks turn out so well-shaped... I'm thinking that because I cut out my templates, stick them to a hacksaw blade, scribe around them then grind away, the neck and head get a little bent out of shape as they are so thin... Will try laser xfer sometime, but first I need a laser printer... maybe I'll visit a printing place or print at school...

Great work, and an innovative source of steel :mrgreen:
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri May 30, 2008 5:54 pm

StabbyJoe wrote:Really jealous of how well everyone's (particularly that one) picks turn out so well-shaped... I'm thinking that because I cut out my templates, stick them to a hacksaw blade, scribe around them then grind away, the neck and head get a little bent out of shape as they are so thin... Will try laser xfer sometime, but first I need a laser printer... maybe I'll visit a printing place or print at school...

Great work, and an innovative source of steel :mrgreen:

suggest you buy a cheap ,non-handled short hook,or whatever pick you wish to reproduce,and use IT as a template,by tracing it out with a fine sharpie.
they are a couple bucks,at various sites.
a good investment,if you intend to make a quantity.

<<

StabbyJoe

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 31, 2008 12:38 am

awol70 wrote:suggest you buy a cheap ,non-handled short hook,or whatever pick you wish to reproduce,and use IT as a template,by tracing it out with a fine sharpie.
they are a couple bucks,at various sites.
a good investment,if you intend to make a quantity.

I am considering buying some individual Petersons or something... I just hate shipping costs... 8 picks = $34US + $20 shipping = ~$68NZD... Ouch. Might do it anyway... but I'm not happy about it lol. I'm going to save for a trip to America in a couple of years... (GF's friend is going back there for a few years... gonna visit and stay with her to save on accommodation.) Either that or just bite the bullet, get a damn job and just pay it lol.

Rather than wanting many identical picks I'd probably rather go for a nice range also... but I do think I'll scan them when i get them and make templates... and maybe do the vivid thing as well so if they wear I can make a new one, so thanks for the tip.
<<

USApicker

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:28 pm

nice pick!!!!

interesting way of removing the extra material without a grinder.
what brand of headphones was that?? are they easy to come by??

also, can you post a picture of that snakerake that you used in some of your earlier videos?? thanks
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:47 pm

SpaceyStacey wrote:Oh that is really nice! Great job.

How long does it take to file by hand like that? I really am thinking about giving that a go - but I cant stand the sound of filing metal LOL. Makes my teeth hurt. Kinda like some people cant stand nails on a chalkboard you know? Figure I can build my tolorance :-)

they take me abut an hr, and try chewing on tin foil...it will take your mind off the filing noise.
;)

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:43 pm

wow. i got a couple of questions ( you said i can ask as many questions as i need answered on here right?)...
1: what is the pick material made out of?
2:what files did you use (other than the round one)?
3:how long did it take you?

man...thats beautiful. top quality work. wish i had a vise, but we dont have a work bench, so i gotta use a ladder for a work table and a clamp as a vise. but in the end the improvision is similar to the quality of work benches.
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:wow. i got a couple of questions ( you said i can ask as many questions as i need answered on here right?)...
1: what is the pick material made out of?
2:what files did you use (other than the round one)?
3:how long did it take you?

man...thats beautiful. top quality work. wish i had a vise, but we dont have a work bench, so i gotta use a ladder for a work table and a clamp as a vise. but in the end the improvision is similar to the quality of work benches.

thanks.=)
you can ask as many questions as you want i suppose,but they should be valid.

1. already answered in the description.
2.flat,bastard.
3.already answered in response to stacey

please read a little closer..( i am growing tired of repeating myself.) thank you.

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:14 pm

another question for ya. could you answer USAlockpicker's post? that way i know what to buy next time i go to the store
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:another question for ya. could you answer USAlockpicker's post? that way i know what to buy next time i go to the store

sorry they were just some old headphones i found broken,hanging from a tree in the park..didnt stop 2 c what kind they were,,i just grabbed them,and said to myself,"that would make a perfect pick" and proceeded to tear them apart to get the stainless band out.

Return to Home Brew