FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

More Experiments

<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:15 pm

More Experiments

Before when I made an epoxy-resin and fabric handle, it was rolled.
This time, I did the same thing but smashed it flat while it cured. Then I cut and trimmed and shaped it.
As these are all just experiments - me looking for a new way to make handles that is easy to replicate and pleasing to the eye, I painted it and sealed it. I wouldn't ever paint one that I was going to sell...paint chips, comes off, etc. I would tint the resin or use fabric that was the color I wanted.

All that said..

I *REALLY* like the comfort of this handle. I'll be making more and tweaking the process and shape.
There is a worklog coming on a Falle style pick of the same style but it won't be painted so look for that tonight or tomorrow.

Cow

update-
ok, it cured further, and I sanded off the paint and shit, sanded it up to 400grit for now. Haven't done anything to the blade yet.
MCSE: Security | CompTIA: Security
<<

PHatDriver

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 am

Re: More Experiments

I can see where ya going with these and love that ya a hands on guy, kool.
Being the mark two version and all that but sorry to say, that looks, erm, ruff! :shock:
I know ya said it’s just an experiment so like me,
I’ve made six bogotas now and still not happy with the results.

So ya can shape the handle after its sets – huh.
Think It looks to high, needs to be smaller.
Pro picks and the homemade pick makers all make their handles smaller.
This may now sound like a contradiction in terms but
aesthetic looks do come second to the feedback received from the thing
and I myself have found that small, thin handles give the better feedback.
That may just be me though.

I’m up for trying most things but epoxy resin seem just too damn messy.
I’ve seen ya thumb! :D
Have ya tried the Fimo or Sculpey clay as ToolyMcgee mentioned in one of his posts.

I can see ya making some fantastic looking picks in the next few months.
Crack on bud... Love all ya hard work. Love it... 8-)
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:37 am

Nice effort cowbite :) home brews are the best , they take alot of hard work/time and effort to actually construct a working picking machine your happy with.
How long did this baby take you to make ?
How strong is it ? constant use will tell !

Nice one ;)
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 pm

PHatDriver wrote:I can see ya making some fantastic looking picks in the next few months.
)

lol
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:36 pm

uklockpicker wrote:Nice effort cowbite :) home brews are the best , they take alot of hard work/time and effort to actually construct a working picking machine your happy with.
How long did this baby take you to make ?
How strong is it ? constant use will tell !

Nice one ;)

Oh this was a few hour jobbie 90% of which was waiting for it to cure. It's hard as hell now. There is no way this thing will break.

But again, this, and most of my last few pick posts are/were experiements. Right now I have *no* supplies, very, very little sandpaper and...well shit, that's about all I have right now...apart from a bench grinder and dremel. So, I'm trying to make things with what I have. Things I really shouldn't post because someone will get the idea that I think the junk I'm posting is 'bad ass' when really it's just something new to try.
But honestly, all I need are the anodizing supplies and the right burr bit and I intend on making picks along the lines of ratyokes. I know how to do it, I just don't have the crap to them with, which sucks.

But I digress.
Thansk for the compliment!

Cow
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Personally I think your on to something, everybody that makes homebrew picks has there own way, sure, Tooly makes his one way, Awol and Ratyoke make theres different yet. To me there is no right or wrong way, sure.. looks do help sell the style but you have to be original and make them your way, you also have to have a combination of looks, materials and overall effectiveness of the pick to make a real great tool as well. Keep working, sure it may be messy to use the resin and stuff like you do, but at least they are original.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:22 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Personally I think your on to something, everybody that makes homebrew picks has there own way, sure, Tooly makes his one way, Awol and Ratyoke make theres different yet. To me there is no right or wrong way, sure.. looks do help sell the style but you have to be original and make them your way, you also have to have a combination of looks, materials and overall effectiveness of the pick to make a real great tool as well. Keep working, sure it may be messy to use the resin and stuff like you do, but at least they are original.

Thanks, Kid :)

Return to Home Brew