FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Idea: A jackknife pick design

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Idea: A jackknife pick design

I've been looking at the locks used on different types of folding knives, but each one seems to have limitations that makes it either ineffective for a multiple pick setup, or just way too complicated to put together. Then I found this knife.

The Kudu.

A keyring is how you release the lock! How perfect is that, and it also cuts way down on parts/pieces because the 1 spring can control multiple blades. The way it works is simple, the spring holds it closed behind the first of 6 rounded teeth. You only pull back the ring to lift the spring so that first tooth can pass beneath it, and the spring has slight retention on the little teeth so it doesn't snap the knife closed on your fingers. Then it locks into place on the last tooth through the cutout in the back... that sounds confusing, but really it's not.

Half opened

Locked open.

The blade cam. The top is the edge side.

The advantages:
1- the keyring makes it a perfect candidate for a jackknife design
2- the way it's setup would allow for multiple picks
3- the same lock that's holding a pick in the open position would be holding the other's closed
4- Minimal parts required in construction

I'm working on too many other things to try a build right now, but that doesn't need to stop me from presenting the idea for discussion. You could actually use the handle on the knife and just cut a few picks to put in place of the blade... You could use the blade as your template to make the cam on your picks. It would be too large for a keyring pick at over 5 inches closed, so I think I would just use the concept to build something smaller.
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Idea: A jackknife pick design

Man, I need a fekking milling machine.
MCSE: Security | CompTIA: Security
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:24 pm

Great Idea, what is the length on the knife???
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:31 pm

KokomoLock wrote:Great Idea, what is the length on the knife???

10 inches overall, but a 4 1/2 inch blade.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Nice, you got the two important parts, I have never seen that style of lock on any knife, that would work great. Take the Southord Jacknife pick, it has that thumb screw on it, it alway comes loose, or completely falls out, you can't hardly keep the pick your using tight, this knife with that style lock would be ten times better. Second, you could keep the unused picks folded up and they would be out of the way of the one your using. This would be a great project, probably not that hard either. Great post Tooly.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

ChicoSlim803

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:32 pm

sounds like a great idea. It seems like it shouldnt be to hard

Return to Home Brew