FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

singlepickers first homebrew.

<<

singlepicker

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 19, 2009 6:03 am

singlepickers first homebrew.

my first homebrew set. the hooks aren't exactly 'hooked' but they do work..from a selection of Romstars templates and also the southord slimline template.
ran out of sandpaper before i could get rid of the slipped dremel abrasions.
the whole set is kept via a square screw and locking nut to resemble a jackknife, which is handy for storage since i don't have to worry about them getting bent.
http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss201/singlepicker/?action=view&current=lock1005.jpg
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 19, 2009 6:44 am

Re: singlepickers first homebrew.

Very nice!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

singlepicker

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 19, 2009 7:00 am

thanks-like i said, a first attempt but i had looked at other hbrew pics before and knew the bar was set high. these hbrews have worked well for me on my cheap padlocks and rim cylinders, but i had trouble using them on my new euro cylinders so bought the goso set (23 pc).
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 19, 2009 8:07 am

Nice work, just be careful that you don't bend them. I found that I have a tendency to bend the hell out of hacksaw blade picks.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 am

Nicely done , look good m8 :)
<<

quaiboi

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 20, 2009 7:48 am

man...they look nice......i cant even make pics look that nice.....coz i havent tried making picks out of hacksaw blades......ppl say they bend alot and just....break.....anyway,good job!
<<

singlepicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 20, 2009 8:06 am

the hack blades i buy are 12 for a £1, once rubbed down they are the same thickness as a southord slimline pick. when i grind them down i always dip them in water every few seconds. so far they haven't bent, but i have had a couple that i made that snapped due to me being heavy handed with them.
maybe the quality of the blades is different from the U.K. to the U.S.?
i bought myself a rotary tool from Focus diy for £9.99, 12 blades and a diamond dremel cutting wheel for £4.99 so total cost was £16..at that price i don't think it matters if a couple of picks bend or break, plus there is always that satisfaction of picking a new lock with your own homebrews.
<<

pinhead1304

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 20, 2009 10:53 am

nice work a grate first go. top marks. :D
A zealous locksmith died of late,

And did arrive at heaven gate,

He stood without and would not knock,

Because he meant to pick the lock.
<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Welldone mate they are looking nice : )
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed May 20, 2009 6:17 pm

If you want to keep all of those picks together, try using a Chicago screw (screw post).
chicago screw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

singlepicker

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 21, 2009 2:08 am

didn't know about those. thanks. will stop the wingnut from catching on stuff all the time.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu May 21, 2009 7:03 pm

You even did the royals... Don't see that on many first homebrews. Cool set.

-Tooly
<<

singlepicker

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 pm

cheers Tooly,only did the 'king' tho' and that is fantastic for big padlocks. opens them in about 10 seconds.(silverline 266 paddylock.- about 6.) have a few dremel cuts on my fingers tho'...
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sun May 24, 2009 6:33 pm

singlepicker wrote:cheers Tooly,only did the 'king' tho'...

So it would seem... I saw them and just assumed it was the pair you know. Where I would use the southord queen, rocking a half diamond does just about the same job for me. I think the southord king is the more interesting of the pair, so making two of them was probably a good bet.

singlepicker wrote:maybe the quality of the blades is different from the U.K. to the U.S.?
Cheap hacksaw blades are of an indeterminate quality. Could be alloyed, or differentially tempered, but mostly it's just cheap steel behaving as such. Second hand cutlery is a much better bet. You live in the UK, so Sheffield stainless steel should be easy to come by I would think. Some of the most renound in the world. I just bought 20 old Regent steak knives (.027-.031) for about 3 bucks from goodwill. I've paid as much as $0.75 apiece, but it's worth every penny. If you need something thinner, simmons swedish steel fruit knives I've found as thin as .020, but more commonly .025. Anything thinner will have to be an icing spreading knife. Quality steel, and no paint to sand off as it already has a mirror polish. As little work and materials as you can manage I say. Makes for less complications. Thinning can be done, but more than .001 I wouldn't mess with. Better to hold off until you find something the thickness you want.

One last bit, the rear slope of the small half diamond has that short hook catch curve. It works great, but if the diamond is larger, it can jam up really easily on locking dogs and other parts out the back of some cylinders. Polish it very smooth to help prevent that. Good looking homebrew man. Nice stuff.

-Tooly
<<

singlepicker

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 29, 2009 4:45 pm

[quote="

One last bit, the rear slope of the small half diamond has that short hook catch curve. It works great, but if the diamond is larger, it can jam up really easily on locking dogs and other parts out the back of some cylinders. Polish it very smooth to help prevent that. Good looking homebrew man. Nice stuff.

-Tooly[/quote]

you noticed that..lol.yes, it does have a nasty tendency to catch, however i don't use it that often. i'm kind of lazy, it would only take a couple of seconds to finish it.
been busy lately so have been neglecting my hobby, but am determined to pick my first mul t lock. won't be using the homebrews for that tho', will try to use the goso dimple pick i think.
Next

Return to Home Brew