FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Mul-T-Lock Interactive custom pick

<<

kizza8484

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:58 am

Mul-T-Lock Interactive custom pick

Okay people, after much trial and error i've come up with a dimple pick that works wonders on my Mul-T-Lock Interactive! At first I was trying to piuck the exterior pins first, then move on to the interior pins. Problem was when the interior pins would false set into a ridge on the exterior pin it was show over. No way to get them out and up to the sheer line. And another problem was these rail type things at the back of the keyway that really made the 5th pin hard to get to.

So to get around all this, I came up with this pick (BTW, i'm no master craftsman as you can see. This pick could definatly be improved by experienced hands!)

As you can see, its made from a ring sold at most automotive stores, just bent out straight and grinded into shape. Then hardened with rapid heating and cooling as the grinding process removes the metal's temper.

The three BIG points of this pick are:
1. Remove the guess work of pick placement be ensuring that when the pick is against the left most side if the keyway, the tip of the picks 'blade' sits in the center of the pin holes in the plug. The old trick of marking on the pick how far to insert to get under each pin is a must-do in this case.
2. Lift the interior and exterior pins simultaniously to ensure the interior pins dont false set. THen its just a matter of allowing the interior pins to drop back to the sheer line. Its actually easier than it sounds.
3. Allow the 5th pin to be reached through the rails at the rear of the keyway. The 's' shape of the pick is for this.

Here you can see where the tip of the pick should come to.

And here are the rails at the rear of the keyway which the pick must be formed around. It should be able to sit against the leftmost side of the keyway, while still able to get underneath the pins despite the rails being in the way.

You still ocasionally get a false set on the interior pins though. Its easy to tell because you stop getting any reaction from the lock as you pick. In this case its much easier to just reset and start again than try to free the interior pin. It takes a little practise like anything, but once you get the feel its a pretty fun pick!

Here's the pick in action.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qla-yO65HPs
<<

safety0ff

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Mul-T-Lock Interactive custom pick

Nice job!

Could you either post a close up picture of the inner pins? If not, can you check if there is like a small seration on them?
<<

barbarian

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:57 am

Very nice job. Great video too.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:08 pm

could you put up some pics of pin in pin security pins in the security pin section? and a little explanation of how they work.
<<

kizza8484

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:03 pm

Here's a post I made a while back with some close ups of the pins and rest of the lock.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=684

The upper interior pins are kind of spool like. Although the recess in them is very small, coupled with a lip on the inside of the lower exterior pins, the false set they give hangs on for dear life and is virtually impossible to get out of!

Here's a vid wth a classic mul-t-lock i made with an explanation of telescopic pins. None of them are securities but they work in the exact same way as in the interacive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzHVrCt28R4

As far as the 'interactive' pins goes, its a spring loaded pin at the bottom of the keyway positioned under pin number 2. It pushes a floating pin in the key to a certain height which in turns sets the telescopic pins above it to the sheer line. I'm pretty sure its an anti-bumping measure more than anything. Although plenty of people have still bumped this lock, meh.
<<

safety0ff

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:37 pm

kizza8484 wrote:Here's a post I made a while back with some close ups of the pins and rest of the lock.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=684

The upper interior pins are kind of spool like. Although the recess in them is very small, coupled with a lip on the inside of the lower exterior pins, the false set they give hangs on for dear life and is virtually impossible to get out of!

Thanks for the link, I had missed that thread! I heard that some of those inner pins are serrated and meant to lock up completely with the inside of the outer pins when tension is applied. I wonder how they compare!

Cheers,
-Safety0ff
<<

kizza8484

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Well the interior upper pins certainly do. If you get a false set where they catch the ridge on the outer pins you just have to reset and start again. Thats why you have to overset them and let them drop back down to the sheer line.

But if there are models out there with serrated lower interior pins, then yeah, check mate!

Return to Home Brew