FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Abloy Classic Tool (that works!)

<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Abloy Classic Tool (that works!)

Let me start this post by saying that making a pick for the Abloy Classic has always been one of my locksmithing ambitions. This is the start of the journey towards Protec 2! And that is not a joke.

So about 5 years ago I got really excited about a new tool that I saw. It was made by H&H and purported to be for the Abloy Classic lock. Here it is, still being sold for the princely sum of £90! By the way, NEVER buy from these jokers.

http://www.walkerlocksmiths.co.uk/cylinder-picks-tools/abloy-abus-picks?product_id=253

And here it is in use, look at the wonderful animation - see, it does work, it works like magic because look - the animation says so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8eo107h3H8

This tool is quite simply pathetic. It will never work. It ignores the fact that anti-pick discs live in every Classic (or every one I have seen) and it also ignores the fact that if the lock does not happen to bind up in order from back to front, then it is once again completely useless. The only real use it has is if the locks' code were already known and you could then dial it in using this. But if you don't have a decoder handy then forget it. Maybe something got lost between the designer and the manufacturers...I don't know, all I know is that it sucks and don't waste your money.

So I decided to make my own. This is not as easy as it sounds. For a start you need to tension the lock from the rear. This means that a tensioner has to go through and past the pick, something that the pick has to accommodate and which limits what you can do with it. Then there are the anti-pick discs:

But the most difficult thing to overcome of all is something I call 'problem 61'. So let's say the front disc is the first to bind and it is a 6 cut - this means that if there happens to be a 1 cut behind it somewhere then the pick arm will have no choice but to dislodge the already set 6 cut when it comes to moving that disc to 1. The pick arm HAS to exist somewhere. See the following example:

At this point you are left with just 90 degrees within which to move. The difference between a 1 and a 6 cut is 90 degrees. But you have to include the existence of the pick arm in that equation. If you bias its position one way or another you will always hit either a 1 or 6 set disc when moving. If you put it in the centre then you will dislodge both every 1 and every 6 disc! This is problem 61.

For quite a while (5 years) I have been playing with various potential ideas and designs and until recently I was sure that it was impossible to overcome problem 61. I designed pick heads that moved, tried out bendy materials to overcome it...I did not find a solution that satisfied the rear tensioning, anti-pick discs and problem 61...until now. Believe it or not I have 2 designs that overcome it, in 2 separate ways!

Here are 4 failures for the tensioner:

The one furthest on the right was the closest to the original design but I accidentally machined it all backwards!

Here was the initial prototype...just a proof of concept really. It picked my lock but my lock did not even have the theoretical problem 61, the true test was yet to come:

With a coat:

I have now re-pinned (re-disced?) 2 Classic's to exhibit problem 61. The pick has successfully picked (and decoded) a Classic that had 6-1-6-1-6-1-6-1-1 as its bitting. This is a problem 61 'worst case scenario'. Until my pick had done this I was not happy to call it a true Abloy Classic pick. Now I am. This one's for you, Nozza (meaning that you say my tools are always ugly):

One particular feature of the pick that I am proud of is the way the handle for the tensioner also acts as a guide for the positive locating of the tensioner and pick head. Both the pick and tensioner need to be held in a very precise way or it becomes difficult to get past and between the discs. The downside is that you can't see the first disc. You can decode it but not see it. As it happens, this is a trade-off more than worth making (IMO) because it makes the picking of the lock so much simpler.

The original idea was to make a 'clicker' for positive locating of the discs. I have a pick with the clicker and another that just has the detent (but not grooves for it to go into). I much prefer the detent on its own. It provides a constant tension of the pick stem, meaning if you let the pick go it stays where it is and does not flop about all over the place. I find it much easier to manoeuver around the lock with the aid of this, rather than having the pick stop dead. But horses for courses I suppose, the clicker is still very nice!

The tensioner and pick are made from hardened and tempered (blue) silver steel and the rest is beautiful brass. I have not yet tested one to destruction (and I'm not going to) but I have not had anything break on me yet*. The pick stem and head is obviously delicate but I am have been very impressed at what I have done to the first few made without breaking one.

I would also like to say that machining this was a real horror. I tried making it when all I had was a Dremel and a vice but I found doing it freehand simply impossible. So getting the mill was crucial but even then, the pick in particular was extremely difficult to machine. At first I thought I would need to make 2 'negative' halves of the final piece to sit around it as I machined it. The pick arm needs to hold a 0.15mm thickness down its length and this needs to be cut straight and true. In the end I held it between centres and tightened it up like a guitar string. Believe it or not, this works! I had to make a custom MT2 sleeve though, so I could securely fit a rolling arbor into my tailstock:

* Under normal use. The one I did break was after I had hardened it but before tempering. I accidentally tapped it on the side of the gas canister and a piece shattered off. I was very angry.
Last edited by huxleypig on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
<<

quabillion

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Re: Abloy Classic Tool (that works!)

Man that is badass!!! way to go dude
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem,
first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." William Gibson
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Well hux, you've outdone yourself! This is stickified!
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:00 am

Congrats on this beautifully professional looking tool, I hope you can sell your design to hpc for a bunch of $$$
<<

escher7

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:17 am

Very nice, both at the pick design level and the machining level. What make is that lathe? (I note you call it a mill, but it is a lathe, no?) Even the knurling is cut nice and deep for a small machine.

I am seriously considering a Sherline lathe, although the Taig is sturdier, mostly because Sherline has a variable speed dc power supply and doesn't require as much customizing to get it to acceptable functionality. A lathe allows you to do prototyping in a much more professional fashion as your work shows.

P.S. I once shattered a knife blade that had a dozen hours of work in it by accidentally cracking it against a vice before the tempering phase. Instant lesson in heat treating.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:15 am

Well done and does look great hp :drool: - and even better it works
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:43 am

That is simply awesome work.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 am

huxleypig wrote:
the handle for the tensioner also acts as a guide for the positive locating of the tensioner and pick head.

that is brilliant, well done hux!
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks all, like all tools, this has been (and continues to be) a continuous improvement process. I have been watching a video where Falle describes problem 61 and how because of it, making a pick like this is impossible. Well Mr Falle, you are wrong! :smile:

Escher, the picture is of my baby lathe, a Unimat SL. She is wonderful but I could use a bigger one! The knurling is as a result of a lot of failed knurlings! Feed, speed, RPM, knurl wheel tooth pitch and the tension on the teeth are all variables that have to be right otherwise you'll end up with 'double knurls' (I'm sure it has a proper name but I don't know it) or crappy results. The tensioner and pick are (partly) machined on the mill, which is a mill. :smile:

I was looking at a Peatol (Taig) mini-lathe and if I hadn't got this one for a wonderful price then that is what I would have got. The compound slide is a definite addition
I would want though. The Sherline is very nice too. The stock motor on my lathe died so I have since put a slightly more powerful one on it, with a PWM and switch, which is very nice.

I feel for you and your story about the knife blade! I did not know just how brittle and weak metal becomes before temper...now I do!
Last edited by huxleypig on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:24 pm

Brilliant work, hux. To see this come together has been a pleasure to watch. Huge congrats on getting it done the way you want it. A very cool achievement.

And naturally .... I want one :smile:

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:20 am

Fantastic :hbg: this is is one of them posts were I'll read it again and again - :salute:
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:18 pm

This is for Wizer:

Picked, decoded, codes sent and (I hope) they are right! :akimbo:

And HUGE thanks to Wizer for the supply of the test locks, you've helped the development of the tool massively, thanks again.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:12 pm

LOL, that brass abloy lock looks like the one I sent him in a trade a long, long, time ago :D
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:27 am

So when do these picks go on sale to members?
Nice job.
Congratulations.
:drool: :mrgreen:
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 am

jharveee wrote:So when do these picks go on sale to members?
Nice job.
Congratulations.
:drool: :mrgreen:

I was thinking the same thing. :smile:
Next

Return to Home Brew