FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Modifications to RCS folding pick set

<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Modifications to RCS folding pick set

This is my RCS folding set from lockpicktools.com. Model 8E (slim line euro model). And may I say that this is a fine tool. This is my everyday carry (on keychain) and is the tool I use for 99% of my picking. I used to own the Southord jackknife, with the screw on the bottom, and it was terrible in comparison (in comparison to everything, that is!)

rcs_closed.jpg

I prefer to tension on the top of a keyway. Much more room to maneuver, and I have seen at least one lock (a Schlage) that would not open with bottom tension, possibly because the tensioner caused the cylinder to splay out a bit so it wouldn't rotate (a wild-assed guess anyway). I bought an extra tension wrench (sold as a replacement for the RCS) and modified it. I cut it in half and then bent a small tip to make a top-keyway tensioner. The other end I filed down thinner so that it would fit well into American padlocks (again top tension). When I filed this end down, I left the edges square and sharp, not rounded as they originally came, so that it would stick in the keyway and not slip out. The original tension tool really only serves the purpose of holding the smaller one in place. One nice side effect is that the presence of this smaller tensioner makes it much easier to slide the bigger one into place.

rcs_tension.jpg

One nice thing about this tool is that you can pick and choose which picks you want. Lockpicktools has quite a selection, but I made some of my own. First off, I make a copy of the Peterson slender gem, hitting 15 mil feeler stock with a scribe, dremel, file, and sandpaper. I really like the Peterson slender gem, and I like that it is 0.015" thickness. Especially for American locks, 15 mil works much better than 20 mil. Actually, I really wish that RCS would sell 15 mil picks alongside the 20 mil.

rcs_open.jpg

Picks 5-7 in that picture are my Peterson slender gem copy, a poker tool for TuBAR and Pagoda, and a hook that was meant for rotating Medeco biaxial pins. The last one is pretty worthless and really only serves as filler. You see, the thickness of these tools is 0.015, 0.015, and 0.010, replacing two tools of 0.020 thickness. So 0.015+0.015+0.010=0.020+0.020. If the thicknesses don't match then the clamp lever on the tool doesn't end up in the right orientation when you tighten it up. Originally, I would just put whatever size tools in there that I wanted, and adjusted the screw orientation to compensate, and had to remove a stop peg in order to be able to move the clamp lever to whatever position was needed. Eventually (about three years later) this ended up stripping out the part of the tool that the screw head goes into. The old model of this tool had a twelve-sided hole rather than six sided, allowing for more orientations but which stipped out easier. The new model has a six-sided hold. Okay, a picture is worth a million words, so this is what I mean:

rcs_screw.jpg

The slender gem tool works great for hooking on to the little hole in the bottom of Medeco classic pins to rotate them (this doesn't work on biaxial pins though). So I carved a Medecoder scale into this pick. You can just barely make it out in this picture, under the rust. If anyone knows a good way to rustproof picks, by the way, please let me know!

rcs_medecoder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Re: Modifications to RCS folding pick set

Cool mods ent, I did the same to my RCS..added a TOK tensioner and a blank wiper insert for an on-the-go-wrench in case i need to pick somethin crazy. Also made a few of my own picks for it from a carbon hacksaw blade, pretty easy if you have a grinder. I was planning on this being my everyday carry picking tool but I never got the hang of picking with it against more difficult locks. In fact, I forgot I had the thing until seeing this post so thanks! If you're opening up the locks you mentioned maybe it's time I practice with it a little more
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Deadlock

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:44 pm

entropy, you must be one of the few who can really make those folding pick sets work. Interesting stuff. Also, I just learned something. I've only ever used 'mil' as an abbreviation of millimeter. I didn't know until just now when I Googled it, that it also means a thousandth of an inch. Rustproofing picks? How about nickel plating? I've never done it, but you can buy kits to do it at home.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:57 pm

"If anyone knows a good way to rustproof picks, by the way, please let me know!"

Try nose grease

http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8429&p=75248#p75248

Works for me and it's always there. :mrgreen:

Cheers.

Edit. Sorry, the link was page 2 go back to page one to get the details.
Last edited by Neilau on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:58 pm

This tool has opened Medeco classic, Medeco cam lock (the one with only a sidebar), TuBAR, Pagoda, American, Best, Brinks, and many simpler locks. For Pagoda I had to use a Y-shaped tensioner in addition to this tool. I've been getting started on dimple locks, with this same tool, but perhaps I'll get some proper dimple picks to compare. Just about anything that I am capable of opening I can open with RCS (aside from disc detainers which need a different tool of course), although I have practiced more with this tool than others. Perhaps I should practice more on traditional picks to get a comparison.

RCS has a nice big handle which is easy to grip, making it easy on the muscles, especially when really forcing something open like the Brinks. On the other hand, maybe there is less feedback because of the mass. But it is aluminum, so not too heavy, and the feedback seems to be fine.

Deadlock: I think 'mil' is common terminology in some circles, but I don't remember which circles those are! Perhaps electronics. Good tip on the nickel plating. I'll look into that. I think the rust comes from pocket moisture, and perhaps is magnified by the amount of road salt in use where I live (I bike a lot in the rain).
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:07 pm

Nickel plate what the hell everyone seems to be doing it ... spend time cutting a key then go to polish it or de burr only to find the stuff as come off ! looks shit also

sorry buddy just a rant ! can not imagine how much feedback you get with this tool .. non I expect ??
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:21 am

entropy wrote:This is my RCS folding set from lockpicktools.com. ... If anyone knows a good way to rustproof picks, by the way, please let me know!

Get a bottle of cold bluing solution from a gun shop. Usually less than ten bucks and should last you for YEARS of applications to small parts. I'm still using a bottle I bought in the early 90s. I've used it to protect small gun parts, knives, pliers and other tools. It only works on carbon steel, and NOT on stainless steel, aluminum, brass, etc.

There are a couple tricks to getting a good result:

-Do good prep work to the piece you're bluing (sanding, polishing it, etc) since bluing will only change the color of the surface. It won't hide the texture of scratches, pitting, etc.

- THOROUGLY degrease the part with something like brake cleaner, then let it dry and don't let it touch anything that could put oils back on the surface, like picking it up with bare hands. I use surgical gloves when doing it.

- Use a cotton swab saturated with the bluing solution and wipe it liberally all over the part. Keep rotating the cotton swab so you're using a fresh part of the swab on every piece of steel. Let it dry and check out the results. If the color is uneven, you can degrease it again and apply a second coat.

- When finished, apply a penetrating oil (low surface tension) like Pierce to the part and let it sit for a day with the oil on it.

- Wipe it dry with a clean cloth and you should have a very nice looking piece of blued steel which will help prevent future rusting if you care for it properly, like you would any quality tool.
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Nielau: I will try nose grease. But not in public.

10ringo10: for feedback, it clicks when the pins set, they're spongey when true set and stiff when false set. So feedback isn't zero. But I will spend some time now with real picks to see if there's something missing here.

MBI: thanks for the tips. Probably I should spend a bit searching through the forums to figure this out. The rust really does make it look terrible.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 pm

..... where no folding pick set has gone before..... *deep, dramatic voice* lol

Really, very nice mods. And it sounds like you have no trouble at all slaughtering a wide variety of locks with it.

On battling rust: I really like MBI's thoughts on bluing. I actually went and bought some when he mentioned it
some time ago... just haven't got around to it yet. I don't have problems with rust on any of my picks, but I just
think it would look killer. Thanks for going into such detail on getting good results with it too Mike!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:26 pm

In case anyone doubts the efficacy of a folding set... It just killed a V-10 :D

assaopen.jpg

That's the Peterson Gem clone on the folding set, and down below a tool for setting the side pins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:53 pm

cool well done ! entropy
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Awesome work! I freaking love frankentools!
<<

escher7

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:58 am

Re rustproofing - if the steel is not stainless there really is no good way to rustproof unless you want to keep it smothered in grease or oil. Coatings will wear off quickly with use and the idea of keeping them messy with oil sucks as they will pick up grit and deposit in the locks. The best way is just to give them a rub every once in a while with a fine grit abrasive or steel wool before the rust builds up. Storage is a biggy too and I find that knives or other tools don't rust in my house as the moisture is always low. If you live in a high humidity area you can line your tool box with that treated brown paper designed for just that purpose. Bottom line - steel is mostly iron and rust is iron oxide.
<<

entropy

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:42 am

I just went over it with 400 and 600 sandpaper and removed two years of rust buildup in no time. So I think this is how I'll go about it. As a side effect, I can get to see how thin metal can get before it no longer makes a good pick. With the folding set, storage is in my pocket as I bike through the rain splashing up road salt.
<<

smokingman

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:48 pm

entropy wrote:This is my RCS folding set from lockpicktools.com. Model 8E (slim line euro model). And may I say that this is a fine tool. This is my everyday carry (on keychain) and is the tool I use for 99% of my picking. I used to own the Southord jackknife, with the screw on the bottom, and it was terrible in comparison (in comparison to everything, that is!)

rcs_closed.jpg

I prefer to tension on the top of a keyway. Much more room to maneuver, and I have seen at least one lock (a Schlage) that would not open with bottom tension, possibly because the tensioner caused the cylinder to splay out a bit so it wouldn't rotate (a wild-assed guess anyway). I bought an extra tension wrench (sold as a replacement for the RCS) and modified it. I cut it in half and then bent a small tip to make a top-keyway tensioner. The other end I filed down thinner so that it would fit well into American padlocks (again top tension). When I filed this end down, I left the edges square and sharp, not rounded as they originally came, so that it would stick in the keyway and not slip out. The original tension tool really only serves the purpose of holding the smaller one in place. One nice side effect is that the presence of this smaller tensioner makes it much easier to slide the bigger one into place.

rcs_tension.jpg

One nice thing about this tool is that you can pick and choose which picks you want. Lockpicktools has quite a selection, but I made some of my own. First off, I make a copy of the Peterson slender gem, hitting 15 mil feeler stock with a scribe, dremel, file, and sandpaper. I really like the Peterson slender gem, and I like that it is 0.015" thickness. Especially for American locks, 15 mil works much better than 20 mil. Actually, I really wish that RCS would sell 15 mil picks alongside the 20 mil.

rcs_open.jpg

Picks 5-7 in that picture are my Peterson slender gem copy, a poker tool for TuBAR and Pagoda, and a hook that was meant for rotating Medeco biaxial pins. The last one is pretty worthless and really only serves as filler. You see, the thickness of these tools is 0.015, 0.015, and 0.010, replacing two tools of 0.020 thickness. So 0.015+0.015+0.010=0.020+0.020. If the thicknesses don't match then the clamp lever on the tool doesn't end up in the right orientation when you tighten it up. Originally, I would just put whatever size tools in there that I wanted, and adjusted the screw orientation to compensate, and had to remove a stop peg in order to be able to move the clamp lever to whatever position was needed. Eventually (about three years later) this ended up stripping out the part of the tool that the screw head goes into. The old model of this tool had a twelve-sided hole rather than six sided, allowing for more orientations but which stipped out easier. The new model has a six-sided hold. Okay, a picture is worth a million words, so this is what I mean:

rcs_screw.jpg

The slender gem tool works great for hooking on to the little hole in the bottom of Medeco classic pins to rotate them (this doesn't work on biaxial pins though). So I carved a Medecoder scale into this pick. You can just barely make it out in this picture, under the rust. If anyone knows a good way to rustproof picks, by the way, please let me know!

rcs_medecoder.jpg

"If anyone knows a good way to rustproof picks, by the way, please let me know!"
I know this reply is a little late but the solutions are always relevant.
A trick used on firearms that are blued is to apply several coats of carnauba car wax such as turtlewax as a protective layer against salt and moisture.
It will also help with steel that is still "in the white"
Apply semi regularly and it will help a good deal.

Return to Home Brew