FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Madsamurai's Home Brews

<<

madsamurai

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Madsamurai's Home Brews

Hobbs/2-in-1 tool for S&G 6804/6805

I recently finished constructing my first attempt at a 2-in-1 pick so I could start picking safe lever locks without spending hundreds of dollars... Ended up being pretty easy and cheap to make, and there seems to be a good amount of interest in this area here, so thought I'd share what I came up with. I chose the S&G 6804 as my first victim because it seemed like a prime candidate for this tool design and also seemed likely to be a relatively easy pick, and made this pick specifically for it, but other similar locks will be the same process with variations in tubing diameter and tip sizes. The 6804 is a single-bitted 7-lever lock without a pin, the key shaft is about 3.7mm diameter at the lock end and tapers up to 5.95mm at the escutcheon. I recently posted a teardown here, if you want to see more about the lock.

Materials list:
• 4mm x .45mm K&S round brass tubing (K&S part #9822) - pack of 3pcs, 30cm length ~$4.50
• 3mm x .45mm K&S round brass tubing (K&S part #9821) - pack of 4pcs, 30cm length ~$4.00
• M2.5 cap screw, 10-16mm length
• Locktite
• metal stock for tips (I used 3/16" square brass for the tensioner and the thickest wiper-blade spring I had - .78mm/.030")
• some kind of wheels... I had a friend 3d-print mine, but your search may be more fruitful. I think metal would be better.
• silver solder and flux
• epoxy (if using plastic wheels like mine)

Tools needed:
• small flat hand file(s)
• a small belt grinder will save a ton of time; I use the Work Sharp knife/tool sharpener for this stuff and love it
• M2.5 tap and drill set, M4 tap and die for leverage rods (or whatever size you want)
• 3mm (or as close as possible) drill bit
• propane torch and welding safety gear of choice

I got the K&S brass tubes at a hobby/model shop on ebay for pretty cheap, and it turns out they fit perfectly into each other... no jiggle and very little friction. I got a range from 2mm to 8mm so I'll be able to make thicker or thinner picks for different locks. They can be stacked and soldered to build up thicker parts as well. Easy to cut with a little micro tube cutter or a hobby metal saw.

The 4mm tube fit nice in the keyhole so that was used for the outer tube and 3mm tube for the inner.

So first I tapped the end of the 3mm tube with a M2.5 tap. The hole that's already in the tube is perfect and it taps easy. Tap it deep enough for your screw to fit all the way or close depending on what thickness you're making your pick tip.
Image Image

-- I don't have pics here, but will try to update with the next one--
The screw will then need to be ground down to 4mm diameter and short enough to not bottom out in the lock. I did this by putting the tube in a hand drill with the screw in the end and turning it against the belt grinder.

Next step was to put my square brass stock in a vice and file the flat to thickness, in this case 1.73mm. File it a bit longer than you think you'll need, be careful to keep the file as flat as possible, take a little at a time off each side to keep centered. Once I got it to size I drilled and tapped a M2.5 thread just far enough back from the flat to extend beyond the 4mm tube when assembled. Then I cut it off with a dremel and screwed it to the end of the tube with a drop of locktite to keep it from unscrewing when turning CCW to re-lock the lock. Then file everything smooth around the screw, round the edges of the flat and file/grind the length to just fit in the keyhole. A little sanding & polishing finishes up the tensioner tip.
Image Image

The pick tip is a little more challenging... soldering a spring-steel tip to a thin brass tube isn't as easy as it sounds at first, but with the right solder/flux it's not hard. I don't know enough to make recommendations, but I used SSF-6 solder from Muggy Weld and it's a bit pricey but worked great.

Started by drilling a 3mm hole in the wiper blade, then reamed until the 3mm tube fit smoothly thru it.

Clamped the wiper blade and 4mm tube in a 90º clamp using a piece of 3mm tube to align the hole with the end of the 4mm tube. Tighten each piece a little at a time so they shift into place... it's good when they're both secure and the small tube can pull out without friction.
Image Image

..then soldered a bead around the contact area

...then cut off the excess with the dremel and went to work with the belt grinder and hand files

So now when they slip together, we're almost done...
Image Image

For bonus points I made a spacer so that when the tool is fully inserted the pick tip will align with the furthest lever, to make picking a little easier.
Image Image

So checking the fit in the lock, I'm happy, but the bigger hole in the escutcheon was unacceptably sloppy to me...
Image Image

So a made a collar that would slide on the outer tube to accommodate different safe wall thicknesses without wasting a bunch of brass. I took the next three diameters of tubing and built up 2 layers to fill the hole then added a ring of the 3rd size to keep it from falling thru the hole. Soldered them all together then put them in a hand drill and ran against a file to shape the taper, and a quick sandpaper polish.
Image Image

The final bit is the control wheels. I had trouble finding stock wheels that were the size I wanted, so my friend printed some for me. They're attached with epoxy (gotta really rough up both surfaces first), and have opposing threaded holes on the sides for screwing some rods in to get more leverage (not really all that necessary for this lock, but more comfortable). Align the wheels so that the rods will be going out the right direction when picking.
Image Image

Metal would be better, I think, as a solder connection would be stronger (maybe R/C car wheels?). Either way, glue/solder the outer tube separately so excess doesn't spill onto the inner tube and gum things up. After it's dry then put the tubes together and glue the wheel onto the inner tube. Wrapping the tips together with a rubber band will keep the outer tube from slipping up the shaft and getting into excess glue on that wheel, which will also gum up the works (yeah, I did that).

That's the whole of it... pretty easy, maybe a total of $3 in materials and 6 hours of work. Here's the pick next to the key:

Hope you like... would love to hear critiques/suggestions for the next iteration.

Also, if anyone would like one of these made, here's my offer... I want to make my own collection of these for as many locks as I can get my hands on, so if you have a lock you want one for and you are willing to send it to me for a bit, I'll make us each one and send one back with your lock when it's done. You just cover shipping. If you're interested, PM me.
<<

Tipene_1

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Madsamurai's Home Brews

Very cool, thanks for showing all the detail
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 pm

This looks awesome. Let us know how your practice is coming along with it. And don't forget......Christmas is right around the corner! LOL!!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:19 am

Great job, very well done. Could you please take a couple pictures of inside the S&G lock too.
<<

indigoalpha6

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:42 am

looks cool. clean soldering!
<<

madsamurai

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:23 am

mastersmith wrote:This looks awesome. Let us know how your practice is coming along with it. And don't forget......Christmas is right around the corner! LOL!!

Thanks, Mastersmith... I've picked it few times now, is easier than I expected but still a decent challenge.

ratlock wrote:Great job, very well done. Could you please take a couple pictures of inside the S&G lock too.

Thanks Ratlock, check out this post http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=12009

Return to Home Brew