FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pocket pick V3 - History of the pocket pick.

<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Re: Pocket pick V3 - History of the pocket pick.

mastersmith wrote:This is way out of my field, but, a little check looks to me something like this; Precision doesn't even offer specs on 316 as a tempered product. It is listed as corrosion resistant. 301 is offered in several variants, 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard, etc. up to full hard. Each of these are spec'd out. I wonder if the company you used just gave you some really bad advice? You may want to go back to them and get some rational for them telling you this was the hardest they have. If it is, maybe they are not the right company to be making your blanks. It looks to me like they were in no position to recommend a steel to you. Okay, that's my thoughts as it is. Good luck on getting this worked out.

I agree. I'm basically giving them a chance to save face. If they can get the metal I require and somewhat of a discount then I'll use them again. Since the work itself was excellent. If not I'll try someone else. I'm still figuring it all out myself.

Just thought I would document it here for everyone else's benefit. I know about 316 not being hardened or even harden able. But a few posts of people claiming they prefer it to make picks out of made me think it would be acceptable. I should have asked for a sample before dropping them money down on it. But, live and learn.

Most people would just sell these anyways. I have seen worse picks sold on ebay. And to be honest isn't only a tiny bit softer than sparrows. (IMHO sparrows is too soft).

But I care too much about my product to let something g like this out to the public.
<<

Tipene_1

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 pm

WestCoastPicks wrote:
Tipene_1 wrote:I actually use Starrett Feeler Stock for all my homebrew Picks. I have used it in 0.015, 0.018, 0.020 , 0.023 and 0.025" I really like the stuff, I have found it ideal Pick making stock.

That's what I use. But laser cutters require sheet stock.
Starrett 666 is 1095. The laser guys are checking their suppliers I'm sure I'll be able to get it.

Just a shame I lost the 500 bux on the stainless. They are usable. But it's nothing I want my name attached to. Lol

Fair enough

Shame you can't recoup some of that money somehow. Maybe you could sell them as Pick Profile templates instead :smile:
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Eastern industries were I get my feeler gauge stock make speciality shapes In feeler gauge stock. Just a thought maybe they can make your tips . Might not be cost effective .
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:19 pm

WCP keep me in the loop i'm in bro
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 pm

It's been a real treat to watch this all from the start... of just an idea.
I just love the whole story thru & thru. And they're neat & slick as hell.

And making it an open source - plans publicly available to everyone; class act move in my book.

Sorry to hear about the half-grand down the tubes....*sighs*.... but yeah, whadda ya do? *shrugs*

Maybe one of these day (or years, lol) I'll get my hands on a few of these. Keep up the wonderful work!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
Previous

Return to Home Brew