FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How does Violaetor do those wire wrapped scales on his picks

<<

Wellforthebird

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:34 pm

How does Violaetor do those wire wrapped scales on his picks

I have been searching and searching and can't find anything on it.
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2949/154 ... 5996_c.jpg
Idon't even know what to call it. If anyone has some info they could point me towards, I'd really appreciate it. I wanna give it a try.
<<

Josephus

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: How does Violaetor do those wire wrapped scales on his p

He hasn't been on in awhile but I remember these.

Violaetor wrote:The wood is bocote, just get abstract with sanding and band with metal, a little liberal with varnish to get the 'overly cared for' look.

Memory tells me there was some light, rough hammering involved but I don't remember where I heard it.
<<

Wellforthebird

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:11 pm

Hmm. I was thinking there could be hammering involved. You'd really have to beat the hell out of it if its steel. Maybe aluminum? Thanks for the reply.
<<

escher7

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:54 pm

It is obvious from the hammer marks that the metal is bend around the handle and the gently peened into place. Since soldering would burn the wood, my guess is that he uses expoxy or some other glue to hold everything in place. The metal is clearly malleable and soft enough to shape without damaging the rest of the handle.
<<

Josephus

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:15 am

Wellforthebird wrote:Hmm. I was thinking there could be hammering involved. You'd really have to beat the hell out of it if its steel. Maybe aluminum? Thanks for the reply.

Brass is one. Note that some of the bands are different colors. Maybe nickel silver maybe aluminum. I cant tell. He did work in both.

Aluminum is weaker and easier to work with. Copper or bronze might be neat. Do what you want.

Return to Home Brew