FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Handle material and Sound

<<

nine4t4

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Handle material and Sound

I've played with different materials for my picks. I really should sit down and take some proper pictures

A slightly inebriated attempt at making faux horn. It's actually leather impregnated with cyanoac.....crazy glue. and then textured. It's actually a pretty good feel. The crazy glue impregnation makes it feel react like acrylic

This is dymondwood from Lee Valley. It doesn't improve pick feel, but I like that its wide where it sits in the web of my thumb and index finger. In a pencil grip only the metal is in my fingers. I think the mass may be actually deadening the feel. But it's pretty.

Acrylic plastic, don't judge me by the crappy finish. I mentioned SOUND?!!! Scraps from a signmaker, I think.
In terms of resonating what the lock is doing, it's like having an amplifier. I don't understand the sonic quality of the plastic (any musicians here), but it resonates with the efficiency of a musical instrument. In a loud coffee shop the clicks are obvious across the room (20+feet?!!).

Honestly, if you use auditory feedback, arcylic handles are like having a Marshall amp attached to the pick. I know I'm exaggerating, but the actual sound is INCREDIBLY LOUD. Harmonics or some magic is happening, my only regret is that I picked acrylic for the effing rake. Need to buy more and make some hooks and deforests
JOB: (n.) a series of tasks that aren't enjoyable, but are done in return for money. see Prostitution
A LIVING: (n.) A means of enjoying ones existence that also provides financial compensation. see Freedom
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Handle material and Sound

Nice tip. Did you sandwich two pieces of acrylic or cut a slot and slide the pick in and epoxy it?

The leather/super glue idea is a new one to me. I wonder if fiberglass resin would do something similar but come out harder and make some improvements in sound.
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

escher7

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Sound is an interesting concept. Maybe some hacker/geek out there could rig a piezo-electric device to actually transmit sound from the pick to a mini speaker assembly.
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:11 pm

I use 3D printed handles from template made by BosnianBill.
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:11 am

escher7 wrote:Sound is an interesting concept. Maybe some hacker/geek out there could rig a piezo-electric device to actually transmit sound from the pick to a mini speaker assembly.

I saw something similar but don't remember where. A company made and is selling a pick aided by an audio amplifier connected to it.

Cheers :)
<<

cocolitos

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCocolitos?feature=mhee
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:06 am

Hey cocolitos, you may have pasted the wrong link...

Cheers :)

Return to Home Brew